Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
How big are the products you are photographing? If they are small (less than the size of a freshly severed human head) you can buy a light tent from Amazon or eBay for about $30 which will come with some 500w lamps and a bunch of different coloured backdrops. This is an example of that kind of thing (just the first result on Amazon, I don't have any particular connection to that specific model or vendor). Bigger ones that you could fit a chainsaw in are about $140.

If you are photographing stuff like industrial shredders or soundproof doors, it gets exponentially more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Helen Highwater posted:

the size of a freshly severed human head

I love learning insider lingo. Thanks again, dorkroom.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Helen Highwater posted:

How big are the products you are photographing? If they are small (less than the size of a freshly severed human head) you can buy a light tent from Amazon or eBay for about $30 which will come with some 500w lamps and a bunch of different coloured backdrops. This is an example of that kind of thing (just the first result on Amazon, I don't have any particular connection to that specific model or vendor). Bigger ones that you could fit a chainsaw in are about $140.

If you are photographing stuff like industrial shredders or soundproof doors, it gets exponentially more expensive.

I work for a marijuana producer so I'm mainly photographing dried bud and tops from plant so nothing too big. I also need to be able to shoot our packaging and the occasional piece of merchandise like water bottles and coffee mugs. I have a light tent and a little foldio box and some pretty ghetto lights that I inherited which doesn't give me much ability to control light. I'm just not getting the results I want and I hoping to go a little higher end, possibly some speedlights and softboxes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
What's the consensus/preferred etiquette around here regarding reviving old threads? I've just started messing around with an old Yashica and I found a thread here for it, but it hasn't been posted in since 2014. I wouldn't mind trying to reactivate it, but I also don't want to piss folks off/catch a probe for it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

What's the consensus/preferred etiquette around here regarding reviving old threads? I've just started messing around with an old Yashica and I found a thread here for it, but it hasn't been posted in since 2014. I wouldn't mind trying to reactivate it, but I also don't want to piss folks off/catch a probe for it.

My opinion is that there are not nearly enough posts on this sub that you should be concerned about necro’ing old or creating new threads.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

President Beep posted:

Yeah, since most threads here are megathreads for a particular subject, it doesn't seem as objectionable (to me) as reviving a very specific, shorter lived thread.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Someone revivie the postprocessing thread: I'm too crap to create an OP, wanna learn.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Someone revivie the postprocessing thread: I'm too crap to create an OP, wanna learn.

I expended the minimum anount of effort.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
(I had the wrong thread open)

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Is there a photography discord? I suspect the IRC to be long dead.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

wolfs posted:

Is there a photography discord? I suspect the IRC to be long dead.

we had a pretty sick discord but then it devolved into just big tit anime pics, pepe memes, and casual racism & misogyny so we closed it down, you should start a new one!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RangerScum posted:

we had a pretty sick discord but then it devolved into just big tit anime pics, pepe memes, and casual racism & misogyny so we closed it down, you should start a new one!

Sad but true

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool. Didn’t know 4chan started out as a discord.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Start a new one so we can watch the decline all over again.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

No

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RangerScum posted:

Couldn't you just have banned the big tit anime pic posters?

Bummer about today's news, if this place goes up in smoke I'll miss all of you assholes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goons organizing outside the SA forums never ends up working out, so get comfortable with the reality that when the spineless one finally pulls the plug none of us will ever talk with each other again.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

xzzy posted:

Goons organizing outside the SA forums never ends up working out, so get comfortable with the reality that when the spineless one finally pulls the plug none of us will ever talk with each other again.

Exhibit A: https://awfulyearbook.com/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Bummer about today's news, if this place goes up in smoke I'll miss all of you assholes.
Same. One of the heavier losses if it does.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh hey my post a few months ago is relevant

legitimately heartbreaking to lose this place if he does delete it all :(

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

wolfs posted:

oh hey my post a few months ago is relevant

legitimately heartbreaking to lose this place if he does delete it all :(

We have a thread about finding new places to post and we have a new discord now too. I don't wanna see this place die.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

look for a forums announcement some time tonight

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Heya'. I looked for a question and answer thread but didn't find one. Is this the de-facto place for stupid newbie questions?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Heya'. I looked for a question and answer thread but didn't find one. Is this the de-facto place for stupid newbie questions?

This one is probably better: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184774

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Please make a paddling dogs gang tag

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Ric posted:

gently caress yes

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 19, 2020

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

@soundmonkey

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SoundMonkey show yourself coward

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

In this varient, the text is quite close to the black paddling dog. Would your ethics allow you to reframe it, moving the dogs slightly to the left?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
goddamn I just got this mtg gang tag and now y'all are making dog ones in here?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soundmonkeeeeyyyyy

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Yes plz

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

soundmonkey give the gang tags

Ric posted:

In this varient, the text is quite close to the black paddling dog. Would your ethics allow you to reframe it, moving the dogs slightly to the left?

This is truth erasure

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Ric posted:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ethically i was able to make this modification

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

let me know which of those is the "final version" and fits the gang tag size requirements and i'll do the thing

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

tell us the requirement dear leader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

please give me the tag as well.