Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

SoundMonkey posted:

ConfusedUs is right on the money for what qualifies, at least in my mind, as good critique. However, like he said, encourage not enforce - I don't want to become the judge of how good someone's idea of critique is, and it would probably discourage newer members from giving critique, when really, what they see is just as valid as what anyone else sees.

Having said that, really truly horribly bad insulting critique is probably still not a good idea.

Yeah, a one word critique or a mean/bad one without any explanation should never be accepted. Everything else is a gray area in my book.

But as you stated, I think becoming a judge to say what's right or wrong with any critique that's not a one word/mean one would be a major "faux pas" and would create useless drama.

I think that's a wrap up on that subject for me, ha ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Tonight I started Criticizing Photographs http://www.amazon.com/Criticizing-Photographs-Introduction-Understanding-Images/dp/0072977434 again. I think it was 2 years ago we started a thread to work through it together, but most people didn't read it, myself included. If I can finish it, I will start another thread and hope to facilitate some kind of discussion from it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I went to the Lumiere Museum in Lyon this past winter holiday and one of the things the Lumiere brothers did to prove cinematography's role in the art world was by recreating famous painted scenes using film.

Photography's been proven multiple times to be an effective means of artistic output, but how about a thread to recompose famous paintings using photographs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That would be a helluva fun project.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've always wanted to recreate Raphael's Three Graces

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Suicide Watch posted:

I went to the Lumiere Museum in Lyon this past winter holiday and one of the things the Lumiere brothers did to prove cinematography's role in the art world was by recreating famous painted scenes using film.

Photography's been proven multiple times to be an effective means of artistic output, but how about a thread to recompose famous paintings using photographs?

http://www.booooooom.com/2011/10/04/remake-submissions/

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Additionally...

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 20, 2012

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
A lot of those are really creative. It's nice to see interpretations that aren't so literal.

Also for my first photography class years ago I did this for a self portrait assignment:

I've also been planning on recreating a few paintings, except in a hyper-realistic style rather than interpretations.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 21, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sorry if this is the wrong place but is there a dedicated forum to digital film-making/ the cameras to use for film-making? I tried over in IYG but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place but is there a dedicated forum to digital film-making/ the cameras to use for film-making? I tried over in IYG but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

SoundMonkey posted:

Additionally...

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

I did this on a whim a few years ago with just my G10. I wish I had taken more time with clothing, but I was in one of those manic-like creative moments and did this almost in one take. It wasn't until the next day that I realized I was missing one member of the dinner.

I've wanted to do more. But I really want to do it right and perhaps with more than just me, myself and I.

The Last Supper by geeves, on Flickr

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

david lachappell has some a lot of religious iconography as photos.
http://www.davidlachapelle.com/series/jesus-is-my-homeboy/

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

As a fun side-note, the correct place to express displeasure about moderation policies is not, in fact, a belligerent AIM message, pretending to be someone else, on a throwaway account. It did make my day however, so thank you to the person who did that.

It's also not a good idea to do this if you have a really distinctive writing style. Wink wink.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ButtMonkey posted:

As a fun side-note, the correct place to express displeasure about moderation policies is not, in fact, a belligerent AIM message, pretending to be someone else, on a throwaway account. It did make my day however, so thank you to the person who did that.

It's also not a good idea to do this if you have a really distinctive writing style. Wink wink.

C'mon, we need more. Satiate our curiosity.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

torgeaux posted:

C'mon, we need more. Satiate our curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5s6V8rQH4

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ok new rule since every brand is releasing the greatest camera ever at the same time.

Do not post status updates for your order. Feel quite free to tell us that it arrived and what your first impressions are. Let us know if it's backordered to hell at every place except one. Do not, however, tell us that its tracking status just changed from "In Progress" to "Exception" and you don't know what that means.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
What about horribly goony D800 unboxing videos?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Can we please make a rule to resize your photos in the buy/sell thread? A ton of people use [timg] on their [huge]x[massive] photos and it takes a long rear end time to load.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Can we please make a rule to resize your photos in the buy/sell thread? A ton of people use [timg] on their [huge]x[massive] photos and it takes a long rear end time to load.

Tip: If you upload to imgur it automatically generates a smaller size version of your picture. Just append an l (lower-case ell) to the base name of the image.
E.g. http://i.imgur.com/iV46y.jpg from just before in this thread would become http://i.imgur.com/iV46yl.jpg, you can then put the smaller image in [img] tags and put an [url] tag to the full size version around it.
Example:
code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/iV46y.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/iV46yl.jpg[/img][/url]
Most other image hosting sites probably do similar things.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I do that url/img linking thing for sharing tumblr images from my tumblr site the same way as flickr, is that approved or no?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

the posted:

If I do that url/img linking thing for sharing tumblr images from my tumblr site the same way as flickr, is that approved or no?

I'm going to have to check on this.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The gods have spoken and yes, it is fine to link from Tumblr, might just wanna do the same link-back thing as Flickr to be safe. Although I personally couldn't find a drat thing in their TOS even mentioning this, so I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 29, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We've already got one :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Revolucion posted:

I am pretty sure we do not have a thread dedicated to highly edited and manipulated photos? I am thinking something somewhere between Photography Post-Processing and PAD with an emphasis on experimentation and creativity.

Apart from one other poster I can think of, I haven't seen anyone post really altered stuff, perhaps a dedicated thread would pull them out of the wood work?

Thoughts? I am happy to create the thread but would be good to know if there was an interest for it first?

I think I know what you're going for here, and I'm not going to stop you from making it, but if it goes down a bad road in terms of the whole goddamn ~digital art~ thing again, I'm gonna gas the gently caress out of it (no hard feelings though).

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 29, 2020

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Revolucion posted:

And i would be more than happy for you to do that. The poo poo storm that comes with digital art in this subforum is a turn off, i shall have a poke around CC first and see if there is a better place there. Cheers!

You should keep doing what you do and I think it has a place in the Dorkroom. Your thread might need to have some ground rules to keep it from getting out of hand, though. I think that if there's a thread dedicated to this kind of work then the idiots who complain about it can avoid it, and anybody who enters the thread just to poo poo on it can be probated or worse.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I think that if there's a thread dedicated to this kind of work then the idiots who complain about it can avoid it, and anybody who enters the thread just to poo poo on it can be probated or worse.

As long as people don't think it's a ~safe space~ to post terrible HDR without being mocked for it, why not make a thread and see how it goes.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Could we have a photojournalism thread?

I would love to know the stories behind a lot of photos that people post in PAD, but they usually are given with short sentences.

It'd be cool to have an [Effort] thread where people post photo(s) of someone or something and a long story about the subject that's at least a paragraph or two in length.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

the posted:

I would love to know the stories behind a lot of photos that people post in PAD, but they usually are given with short sentences.

It'd be cool to have an [Effort] thread where people post photo(s) of someone or something and a long story about the subject that's at least a paragraph or two in length.

You could also just ask the people in PAD to talk about the photos you're interested in.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

the posted:

We used to have one, but it died off a while ago. I've thought about restarting it a couple of times, but I wasn't sure if there'd be any interest. Plus, you know, :effort:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Unless the topic is "digital art", HDR, or "being Snapshot A Day", you don't actually have to run every thread idea past me, you can just post one. If nobody likes it, it'll end up on page 2 and forgotten, and if it's horrible it'll get gassed. Whatever you do, at least try to have a decent OP.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
So what you are saying Soundmonkey, is that i should post a HDR thread? :snoop:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
"Digital HDR Art SAD"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

So what you are saying Soundmonkey, is that i should post a HDR thread? :snoop:

Only if you don't feel an attachment to silly things like "having the continued ability to post".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Only if you don't feel an attachment to silly things like "having the continued ability to post".

In that case I feel that Musket should post a "digital HDR snapshot" thread for the good of the forums. :wotwot:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

In that case I feel that Musket should post a "digital HDR snapshot" thread for the good of the forums. :wotwot:

I'm not even sure I have enough buttons to properly respond to a thread like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Sounds like you need to get the new coder working on a "gently caress everything about this thread" button that bans anyone who even looked at it and then calls their mother and tells her how much of a disappointment to the internet her son/daughter is.