Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

guidoanselmi posted:

i think the most obnoxious critic for landscapes (which i'm guilty of having given, too) is 'you should have waited for another time of day [morning/sunset]'

Except that often this is a pretty valid critique. A great composition with poo poo light won't be a good photo, plain and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

oh sure, but who the hell want's to schedule an entire day while traveling around a photo.

i always think that while traveling 'gee the light at this *mountain, etc* would be great at X time' but rarely, if ever, have i planned a day around a shot. we're not all ansel adams and most people here aren't getting significant cash, if any, for their prints.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've planned plenty of trips around a single photo. I don't sell them, I do it as a hobby, but I'm still going to put the work in to make sure it comes out as good as it can, and in landscape photography, that means going out at the right time to get the right light.

It's like telling someone who likes taking portraits of friends that they shouldn't take a flash anywhere because that's too much effort for a hobby.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
It's also still a perfectly valid criticism. Especially if I don't know your intent and whether it was a quick vacation snapshot or a honest try at a solid landscape.

Sounds like we're getting really picky on what's "good" critique. With the dorkroom's track record of giving critique, we should be happy it's being given outside pad at all. I don't think we need to start specifying what counts as good critique and unacceptable critique outside of pad. Unless you're being like a super dick about it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Yeah, I'm not gonna go around being the arbiter of what is and is not "acceptable" critique, but if you post something really really dumb (see 'all teeth no tits' in portrait thread for details), I'm probably just going to decide it's bad by anybody's definition and probate you.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump for more concise rules in the OP, go have a look.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Edit: Hey, there was a post here but I took it away because I didn't read something all the way through and I'm an idiot, so this doesn't need to be here anymore. It now serves as a secondary bump!

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 21, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mannequin posted:

Edit: Hey, there was a post here but I took it away because I didn't read something all the way through and I'm an idiot, so this doesn't need to be here anymore. It now serves as a secondary bump!

Well uh... glad you found what you were looking for! :)

In case it was somehow related to the updated rules post... y'know, you folks CAN suggest rules if there's some trend I'm not aware of that's getting annoying for people. I basically just do the rules as what I think is a good idea and/or funny.

EDIT: gently caress I almost just edited your post instead of quoting you, I need a Chrome extension that throws up some 'are-you-sure' message when I go to edit someone else's posts.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

probations for pictures not taken with a Pentax ME Super, tia.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

probations for pictures not taken with a Pentax ME Super, tia.

Ban if all photos are not of Pentax ME Super's.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Musket posted:

Ban ... ME ....

Just reading between the lines.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I banned him like a month ago.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

I banned him like a month ago.

Happy one month Musket banaversary.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
We have "CRITIQUE PROHIBITED" in the title of the low-effort thread, how about "CRITIQUE MANDATORY" in PAD's title?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yes, if only we could find ways to have less discussion on these forums.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

Yes, if only we could find ways to have less discussion on these forums.

I don't actually know what you're talking about, since the suggestion had nothing to do with the pre-existing no-crit thread with those words already in the title.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

David Pratt posted:

We have "CRITIQUE PROHIBITED" in the title of the low-effort thread, how about "CRITIQUE MANDATORY" in PAD's title?

As for this, I don't really think it's necessary, since PAD has been mandatory-critique since the dawn of time. It's only on the other thread because it's a relatively new thread/idea.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump to note the addition/reinforcement of rule 2a.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I feel the desire to post low effort critiques somewhere. Things like, "I like this" or "Meh" or " :gizz: ". I think it is important for people who post their photos to know what pictures other people just plain old like and don't like. Is there a place for this type of thing without breaking rule #4?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Saint Fu posted:

I feel the desire to post low effort critiques somewhere. Things like, "I like this" or "Meh" or " :gizz: ". I think it is important for people who post their photos to know what pictures other people just plain old like and don't like. Is there a place for this type of thing without breaking rule #4?

Most people use flickr. You can always go fave their shots, which is what I do in this scenario.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea same. Most people provide click throughs to their flickr pages.

Or the other option is to take a photo out of the Low Effort thread and comment on it in the PAD thread.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Santa is strapped posted:

Yea same. Most people provide click throughs to their flickr pages.

Or the other option is to take a photo out of the Low Effort thread and comment on it in the PAD thread.

I'd have to say this is the best option.

It's sorta become apparent in the past couple years that low-effort-critique threads are one of the nice things we can't have.

Of course, there's no rule against low-effort critique in themed threads (film, portrait, etc).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
If I feel the need to thank a poster for their photographic efforts in a casual fashion I just pretend one of my couch cushions is them and like high five it. Working out pretty well so far.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

If I feel the need to thank a poster for their photographic efforts in a casual fashion I just pretend one of my couch cushions is them and like high five it. Working out pretty well so far.

You should probably hug it too, since couch cushions are soft and the poster would feel even more appreciated.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

You should probably hug it too, since couch cushions are soft and the poster would feel even more appreciated.

If I hug a couch cushion my anime pillow waifu might get the wrong idea. I don't know how you filthy Canadian sex perverts do things but in 'murica once you have made a solid commitment to a stuffed girl, it's for life. :clint:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how about low-effort critiques allowed in PaD, but they don't qualify you to post your own photos?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

atomicthumbs posted:

how about low-effort critiques allowed in PaD, but they don't qualify you to post your own photos?

That leaves me as the arbiter of what is and is not 'low effort', which is not really a position I want to be in, but if people actually post "this is low effort so it doesn't count", I'm okay with that. I'm just not going to probate someone for posting photos if their critique wasn't up to whatever the hell arbitrary standard I have.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Just a suggestion, maybe we can merge the "Taints" thread and the the "bros before ISOs" thread? They are both general dorkroom chat type threads.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Pls merge all bros with taints. TIA.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mightaswell posted:

Just a suggestion, maybe we can merge the "Taints" thread and the the "bros before ISOs" thread? They are both general dorkroom chat type threads.

I'm not sure it's a PROBLEM per se, but you're right, the threads do at this point serve roughly the same purpose. We have the gear thread for gear, the Best Thread for chatting poorly, and... yeah, two threads for general chat.

Does anybody have any objection to me closing taintchat?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm not sure it's a PROBLEM per se, but you're right, the threads do at this point serve roughly the same purpose. We have the gear thread for gear, the Best Thread for chatting poorly, and... yeah, two threads for general chat.

Does anybody have any objection to me closing taintchat?

Will we still be able to discuss taints?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dread Head posted:

Will we still be able to discuss taints?

Well obviously.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Not that I have a particular attraction to either one, but taints seem more popular than general photography questions.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I was thinking of starting a thread about abstract, minimalist & banal photography. Is this groovy and does anyone even give a poo poo?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Make the thread, if it works it works if it doesn't work it'll get archived on it's own when noone posts.

No reason not to make it!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Make the thread, if it works it works if it doesn't work it'll get archived on it's own when noone posts.

No reason not to make it!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I'll start working on it then.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump for the addition of rule 18. It's getting really annoying.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'd like to suggest stickying the Awesome Photos thread right up there next to PAD, its a great point of reference as to what our photography should be aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Spedman posted:

I'd like to suggest stickying the Awesome Photos thread right up there next to PAD, its a great point of reference as to what our photography should be aiming for.

It is, but I think it gets enough activity to never drop to page 2 without having Yet Another Sticky.