Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Can we have a stupid questions thread. Although that probably won't help as the people who ask stupid questions seem to have selective illiteracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, I think that might be good. I was meaning more the occasional person who'll just stumble into the canon thread and ask about point and shoots while ignoring the P&S thread. But a thread where it's safe to just ask one liner questions might be good for stuff that might get ignored in the bigger threads.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

The most banal and common of critique will be the "rules" critique. Rule of thirds! Don't chop off hands! You missed the focus! Overexposed! Underexposed!

A subset of this are the "distracting" people. That white collar is distracting! That red flower, in the background, out of focus, 3px high...it's distracting! That shadow of a bird on the field? DISTRACTING

The best critique starts with "What is this photo's purpose?" and goes from there.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think there's definitely a problem with a lot of armchair photographers parroting "wisdom" from entry level tutorials and such. I certainly don't post as much because getting mediocre criticism from someone who's never posted an image in that thread is basically meaningless to me.

It'd be nice if we sort of had a put up or shut up rule but it would be hard to implement without coming across as too elitist.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

No, I get you. I don't think it should be ban worth or anything. I was sort of just commenting on the general hive mind approach that some critiques take. I don't have any ideas on how to really change it. :/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

We've always been allowed to offer unsolicited critique and/or comments on photos in pretty much any thread (excluding Photo Dump,) so I'd be kinda surprised to find someone that would be so vehemently opposed to anyone saying anything whatsoever about their photos that it would cause a problem.

I mentioned this over email to Soundmonkey but the portrait thread has a huge problem with a lot of criticism coming from people who basically only post snippy critiques and never really post their own work.

The portrait thread I think could use a bit tighter moderation in that respect. When you're working with people I think criticism could stand to be a bit less armchair "I've read the strobist blog so I know everything".

I sometimes get the sense that it's the blind leading the blind - it'd be nice if there was a loose rule that it's expected to contribute to the thread if your criticising in it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

So I can't offer critique on something if its not a style I shoot on a regular basis?

Thats stupid.

I'd normally agree with you but the level of critique has gotten so low effort and poor that some structure might be helpful.

As a speciality thread it sort implies that some expertise in that speciality would be welcome as part of criticism. It's not even to the point where it's people of the same skill level helping each other out, but people with no image posts in a thread making goony one liner criticisms on someone who's just starting out.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 9, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

So if a post is obviously not serious critique and isn't helping the thread at all, report the post.

I actually have no idea how to report a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

This. If a post is bad, send me an e-mail, hit me up on AIM, which is on pretty much 24/7, send me a PM, or get plat so you can report or something. A post doesn't have to have a report for me to do something about it. If a thread is going to poo poo, also send me an e-mail, because while I try to keep an eye on everything, I'm not in every thread all the time.

lovely posts are lovely posts no matter the subject, and lovely posts are something you should report (or otherwise let me know about).

okay thanks, I don't have plat so that's probably why.

honestly I would like to see a sort of change in culture and attitude of the thread but that might be too much to change.