Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Paul MaudDib posted:

No one reads the OPs anyway. Every single page in the film thread, someone comes in and is like "Hey so do any of you guys scan and develop your own film? How do I do that?" despite the FAQs on the first page, and the fact that if they read back even 2 pages they'd find someone asking the exact same question. Same thing in the camera gear thread, every page someone asks what lens they should get after the kit and the 50mm/35mm lenses despite the fact that the Tamron 17-50 is in the loving title.

I don't really have a solution, it doesn't seem worth banning people over innocent questions in a hobby subforum and it's nice to have at least some traffic, but it does get annoying to see the same questions over and over when people obviously aren't even reading the OP.

There used to have the same problem in AI. People would come down and ask about how their car broke down and how to repair it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Dread Head posted:

While it is nice I think it can be really daunting for someone who just got a camera to post after someone who has been shooting for a while.

Yes it is , I felt small in my short the first time I posted in PAD. But I did anyway waiting for the storm to hit me. I am glad that I have because I received objective criticism.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd be very much in favor of a book trading thread, with the standard disclaimers (don't send anything you ever want to see again, etc). This would work especially well for beginner style books - there's only so many times you're going to open Understanding Exposure.

I use this book as my mouse pad !