Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

krackmonkey posted:

Maybe the thing to fix PAD would be to loosen the critique requirements to include self-critique as an acceptable contribution. That way people who weren't comfortable nitpicking someone elses' work or felt like what they had to say had already been said could at least justify what they liked or didn't quite like about their own images at the very least. People who wanted to discuss would still do so as compelled, but it wouldn't create the initial high cost of entry where it felt like the safer choice was just to toss something obviously not a snapshot into SAD just because they didn't want to muddy the waters.

I really like this suggestion, as it pretty much explains why I haven't posted in PAD in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

SoundMonkey posted:

At this point I'm gonna say yes (ie, yes it would be breaking a rule), but it's something I'd thought of and don't have a great solution for yet, so stay tuned I guess.

Why would it necessarily be a bad thing? If someone wants to put for the effort to write up a critique of someone else's photo, regardless of whether the photographer gives a poo poo or even sees it, then I say let them. At best, it could still help third parties learn about composition, technique, and thinking critically about photographs; at worst, it'll confuse a few people as to why there's a random critique about a photo not posted in PAD. That way you don't force people to talk about photos if they don't want to, but still leave the option open for other people to.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

We've always been allowed to offer unsolicited critique and/or comments on photos in pretty much any thread (excluding Photo Dump,) so I'd be kinda surprised to find someone that would be so vehemently opposed to anyone saying anything whatsoever about their photos that it would cause a problem.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 7, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I have absolutely no idea what's going on, but this is certainly intriguing.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Well, then I'm honored to have contributed to this.