Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
We have a general questions thread and a newbie 'my first dslr' thread, both of which kind of cover stupid questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

krackmonkey posted:

Maybe the thing to fix PAD would be to loosen the critique requirements to include self-critique as an acceptable contribution. That way people who weren't comfortable nitpicking someone elses' work or felt like what they had to say had already been said could at least justify what they liked or didn't quite like about their own images at the very least. People who wanted to discuss would still do so as compelled, but it wouldn't create the initial high cost of entry where it felt like the safer choice was just to toss something obviously not a snapshot into SAD just because they didn't want to muddy the waters.
I actually added that to the rules in PAD two months ago... and then failed to copy that part over in the newest thread :ughh:

I guess I'll go fix it...

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Awkward Davies posted:

To bring it back to PAD: I don't have an formal photo background. I suspect many share that with me. I've always found the critique in PAD to be fairly worthless, and the photos less compelling than what gets posted in SAD.

Point being: I'd love it if someone with an actual background could give a 101 on how to critique a photo. Things to look for, ways to speak about photography, some sort of way to evaluate the quality of a photo (I've realized that this is highly subjective for me, but that's an entirely different discussion).

So, anyone?
It's kind of expected that the SAD photos would be of a slightly higher quality as PAD is for people trying to improve and, somewhat ironically, when it was mostly high quality posts in there it tended to scare people away. The critiques you get back will always vary depending on who is giving them, but I find there are quite a few good critics who frequent PAD. I try and post in there fairly often and do what I can. Overall the main idea of the critic is to bring to your attention something that you missed, so even a simple sentence should hopefully be helpful. If you need clarification you can always ask more questions about your own image; the more specific you are about your intentions or goals, the more tailored your answer will be.
I plan to add a segment on both composition and critiquing to the OP, but I haven't had time.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
A lot of those are really creative. It's nice to see interpretations that aren't so literal.

Also for my first photography class years ago I did this for a self portrait assignment:

I've also been planning on recreating a few paintings, except in a hyper-realistic style rather than interpretations.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 21, 2012