Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Manny, dude, you should probably stop before you get in trouble. That has to be the most thinly veiled, passive-aggressive, "Why the hell did YOU get promoted" accusation I've heard in a very long time.

We know you don't like SoundMonkey. Seriously man, we know. So let's stop the hate train before it gets rolling and get back to posting awesome pictures.

I kind of agree, but it also isn't that big a deal.

edit: with Mannequin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To bring it back to PAD: I don't have an formal photo background. I suspect many share that with me. I've always found the critique in PAD to be fairly worthless, and the photos less compelling than what gets posted in SAD.

Point being: I'd love it if someone with an actual background could give a 101 on how to critique a photo. Things to look for, ways to speak about photography, some sort of way to evaluate the quality of a photo (I've realized that this is highly subjective for me, but that's an entirely different discussion).

So, anyone?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

This was not helpful, and looks like what caused the ban.

Hopefully, Mannequin is at least reading and will come back, since this seems to have been clearly a mistake in the banning. He's not a low content poster like some, or a drive by nighter, we need him here.

Edit: I think this was a stupid decision and should be reversed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Petition to bring back Snapshot A Day (or something like it).

Why?

Because this forum needs it. As far as I can tell, forum participation is down. I see fewer and fewer posts in PAD, when there used to be 20+ new posts in SAD every day. PAD discourages participation: it requires a much higher level of output in order to take part. One must read and analyze and submit. It is not a casual activity.

It also encourages some kind of formal level of photography that totally kills all the dynamism and interest in taking your camera out and taking pictures (not to mention that I think that "formal level" is totally self imposed, ridiculous and incorrect). There was a poster recently who scoffed at having "snapshots" in the thread, and I think that's awful. Photography is not only about your overly composed photos, your photos that you think somehow "qualify" to be posted in PAD, it's about capturing a moment and a feeling however you feel like doing it. I think PAD totally discourages that and I think it's a shame.

Why SAD specifically?

Because people need a thread to come together and post photos in. This forum is a conversation among amateurs about photography, it's not a comedy forum (I'd trade every single "best new thread" thread for a single snapshot thread every single time). It needs a central thread that people can post their photos in without worry that they somehow don't qualify. We should be encouraging everyone to go out and take some pictures and then come back and post them. PAD (IMO) scares them off, and encourages some kind of painfully stilted photography.

What's the problem with SAD?

Too many people post in it, not enough effort is given over to crit around photos. Photos can get lost in SAD, people can get lost also. Crowd pleasers rise to the top, while other interesting and important work can get overlooked. It devolves into another tumblr, or flickr. Thing is, it's at least OUR tumblr.

How can we fix it?

Ideas:

1. Encourage feedback in SAD. Make SAD a relaxed PAD.

2. Relax PAD and start a new "THIS IS FOR PHOTO CRITIQUE" thread. Don't call it PAD, call it CRITIQUE or something similar.

3. Have two or three days a week for crit. Say, do weekend crits. Open a crit thread, people post, people are allowed to give crit.

4. Open up the crit thread to photo posts just for a few days, and then for the rest of the week people can only give crit. Mirrors more how crits are done (in that it's not a running stream, you go in, show work, people talk about it and then it's over).

The reason I love forums like this is because it encourages people to make something. It encourages creation by amateurs and pros alike and lets us all come together to talk about doing the thing that we love. The lack of a SAD thread has cut into that conversation, IMO and I think that is too bad. SAD (or threads like it) may be less serious, less formal than threads like PAD, but they are the heart of the forum: a place where we can all come together and post pictures, which is kind of the point of Dorkroom, right?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

Actually if people get some decent ideas going we might just try them out one at a time, sorta Rotating Subforum style, and see if something ends up working.

I'd ask that anyone who feels the same as Awkward Davies (thanks for the actual effortpost and not just 'bring back SAD'), re-evaluate their preconceptions about PAD though, especially regarding the perceived minimum skill level, since there actually isn't one and there are rules in place (that I'm more than happy to enforce) to ensure that new people don't get ripped on for not being 'good enough'.

And yeah that dude got ripped on for a snapshot, but mostly because he explicitly stated that it was. Neither myself nor anyone else is (or should be) scanning through PAD and singling out people they don't think make the cut.

The preconceptions about PAD are bad, and so maybe we should just get rid of PAD altogether. Create a new thread, same rules, but more encouraged participation.

Certainly there are some people that will never critique, but their participation in posting photos is still useful to the forum. They are contributing by posting photos just as someone who posts photos and critiques is contributing. Certainly, they are doing less to provide explicit feedback, but they are lending their voice (through their pictures) to the forum. They are also implicitly lending support to all posters. By posting whatever they post they are showing everyone else it is okay to post and demonstrating different areas, techniques and styles of photography. Their participation should be encouraged, just as everyone else's is.

I wasn't talking about the dude who provoked you, I was talking about someone else who provoked a small spat when he said "this thread is not for snapshots". I'd challenge that person to explain what exactly that means, what makes a "snapshot" better than a "PAD", and what defines them. The point being a "snapshot" can evoke a feeling and a mood without the set-up of a photoshoot. Hell, all of photojournalism is based on "snapshots" and requires as much training and work to get good at as anything else. Torgeaux is an excellent photographer and great contributor to this forum, but feels locked out of the PAD thread. Is that right?

Certainly we should encourage people to get better at photography, but if your participation in that is only about critique and getting better, that's an awfully restricted and boring way to go. School is about testing and learning, but it's also about less structured socializing and play. I guess what I'm saying is that both things have their place in the forum, Structured critique and photo posting.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd also like to encourage "offsite" (or out-of-thread) critique with the new thread - I've had many, many people get crit from me over AIM or PM or whatever, when they didn't feel comfortable asking in a public venue (although of course that's the first thing I encouraged them to do), so if you like someone's picture a lot and want to tell them that you found it really inspiring or whatever, why not shoot them a PM or an e-mail or AIM or something.

Ideally of course this would all just happen in Photo a Day, but for a variety of (valid) reasons some people don't post there, but would, I'm sure, love to hear that you enjoyed their photo and/or make a new friend or something. Just not in the thread.

I'm not all that great a photographer and my opinions are no more valid than anyone else's, but anyone who wants someone to look at their picture without it being in a public venue is more than welcome to PM/AIM me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Question: will I be breaking a rule/social norms if I pull a photo from photo dump to PAD to critique it?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How angry would you get at me if I made a thread for critiquing posts in the non critique thread?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dukeku posted:

Can't you already quote them and crit in PAD?

yeah but I hate PAD

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm sure it hates you back.

It does :(.

Okay so that was a stupid suggestion. Withdrawn.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I did my little effort post thing four pages ago in this thread and maybe 6 months back time wise. The result was the creation of our current LOW EFFORT POSTING thread, paired with Photo a Day. I'm curious whether people think it has been a success, or a failure.

FWIW, I've chafed at the rules in Low Effort. I want to be able to chatte more, but you reap with you sow so...

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

I see where you're coming from, but also there's no critique rules in the genre threads (landscape, portrait, etc), so it's really just the one thread that they can choose to post in where you can't critique them.

So basically no there was no real easy answer but SAD was getting kind of terrible so welp.

Yeah but saying "Oh you can go into the genre threads" isn't a great answer either. I'm not sure you can expect someone to check all the threads with all their chat and what not, and I'm also not sure everyone wants to x-post between genre threads and low effort.

Dunno. It's definitely not an easy answer.

SAD was distracting from PAD.

SAD got dumped because Critique Is A Good Thing.

So we have this weird muzzled thread now.

That either puts people off, or sends them into the genre threads, which forces people to track a larger number of threads.

Has this experiment created more traffic/critique in PAD? Or is it just the same, with less chat in low effort?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

God forbid we have to read more threads.

True. Just wondered how people were liking it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rcman50166 posted:

No.

Could you at least tell me what the delay is? I'd be more than happy to talk it over PMs now that I got your attention back.

I'm gonna put out a guess that it involves you being generally really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

I'll pay you $18 to never post in the dorkroom again, what's your paypal

toxx required

I will do you one better, and pay you $17.