Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the heels of the thunder dome suggestion:

I'd like to suggest a photo-contest-lite. Throw ideas into an inaugural thread and pick one out every month. Start a new themed thread every month. No voting, no prizes, just something to get people shooting every month with a theme in mind. Critique would be entirely optional. Call out photos you really like, ask questions about the setup, scene, etc.

So basically like a themed SAD. Definitely not labelled as a contest, just a way to get the creative process up and running.

I know there are weeks and months where I can't come up with an idea to shoot to save my life, so a push in a themed direction would probably be enough to get me started looking around. Sure you can say that I shouldn't need a suggestion to start shooting interesting stuff, but let's be honest: sometimes we just need a push to get out of a creative rut.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only reason I suggest no prizes is that I think it would be best if there were no "competitive" nature to intimidate people who see an amazing photo and decide to just not bother. The way I see it it would be a "post your themed photo no matter how bad you think you are" sort of thing, draw in the most inexperienced photographers too.

Not that I thought the competitive nature of the contests killed THAT many entrants, but I sort of suspect people took a look at some of the amazing stuff that was posted by virtue of the "one entry per person, make it count" thing and didn't think they even had a chance. Or worse, didn't want to embarrass themselves by posting an amateur attempt.

I think I used the phrase photo-contest-lite when I actually meant themed-SAD. Post as many themed photos as you like. Hell, getting someone to post a photo every day would be the ideal situation here if they find they're on a roll if it keeps them looking for this month's theme every day :)

The best competitive nature would be to get great shots of the theme :B

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That would be a helluva fun project.