Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
One thing I wish is that the Snapshot thread was a place to dump what the poster thinks are essentially thoughtless/throwaway type pictures, and that we went back to a more critique-oriented forum in PAD. Before SAD there really was a monthly PAD thread that we all posted in. If you have access to the archives you can dig up those old threads and see how we were critiquing more and talking more about each other's photographs, which is a better type of format in my opinion. I really hate being the author of this snapshot thread where everyone posts and no one necessarily discusses photography. It seems that because there's a reason not to critique, people don't. And I think we all like it when people comment on our photos, good or bad, because it shows that they're worth talking about. Sometimes there is critique in the Snapshot thread, other times there is an outpouring of love for one particular photo or photographer, but most of the time there's just silence. It's a shame. And I am one of the guilty parties, I don't speak out enough and critique enough, and sometimes I don't do it because I don't feel like it, or I'm tired, and other times I question the value of my own opinions. Who am I to give a critique? Am I worthy of being critical about somebody's photo? I think these are questions many of us ask ourselves.

I don't know if this is a problem that can be fixed short of nixing the SAD thread and enforcing critique in the PAD thread. All the snapshots could theoretically go in their rightful mega threads -- the pet thread, the portrait thread (if it's an insignificant portrait not really worthy of a detailed critique), the film thread, etc. I don't know, maybe all this is a bad idea, but I just hate how there's very little discussion in SAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

It's #creatives.

Can someone unban me from this please? It's stupid. I just want to talk about photography from time to time. I drunk-posted 2 years ago and said some dumb things, but it's over with. Let's move on?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Word around #c is that bans are forever.

That's dumb. Kefkafloyd and Soundmonkey are also dumb for implementing such a rule. And if you're going to do something like that you should warn people in advance. I helped start the drat chat room 2.5 years ago. But whatever. You people do what you want.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Haha, good idea. Oh well. But let's just drop it before certain entities gets pissed and ban me for mentioning it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Hey SoundMonkey, now that you're actually posting in the Dorkroom these days how come you don't post more often in the photo threads such as PAD/SAD? Do you still take pictures? What is your role here besides moderator? I mean, generally you seem pretty quiet. I looked at your post history and saw that your last post in the Dorkroom before becoming mod was 4 months ago. Is this low contribution (for lack of a better phrase) due to some outside effect like traveling? Or is it because you primarily focus your energies elsewhere such as [nameless chatroom/organization]? Just curious why your presence here has died off over the years.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Manny, dude, you should probably stop before you get in trouble. That has to be the most thinly veiled, passive-aggressive, "Why the hell did YOU get promoted" accusation I've heard in a very long time.

We know you don't like SoundMonkey. Seriously man, we know. So let's stop the hate train before it gets rolling and get back to posting awesome pictures.

I like SoundMonkey. I just haven't seen him post much and wanted to ask why. I should be getting some film back from the lab this week so I expect to be posting more pictures shortly. And after that, probably a few more rolls in a couple more weeks as I took 8 this past weekend.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

I probably haven't been shooting as much as I should, but I do enjoy reading Dorkroom quite a bit even if I don't always post. There's a lot of good discussion going on usually, and hopefully PAD will continue to see more posts with the updated rules.

Well, post more! Pictures I mean. I would like to see them (if you've got them) and your critique and feedback in the picture threads could be just as valuable as anyone else. I say this not to be bossy but from the perspective of a photographer: the more you do the better you improve. I know you don't consider yourself Strobist or anything, but it'd be neat to see what you are up to these days. But that's up to you.

Edit: Out of respect for ConfusedUs, I'll shut up now!

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Edit: Hey, there was a post here but I took it away because I didn't read something all the way through and I'm an idiot, so this doesn't need to be here anymore. It now serves as a secondary bump!

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 21, 2012