Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Maybe the thing to fix PAD would be to loosen the critique requirements to include self-critique as an acceptable contribution. That way people who weren't comfortable nitpicking someone elses' work or felt like what they had to say had already been said could at least justify what they liked or didn't quite like about their own images at the very least. People who wanted to discuss would still do so as compelled, but it wouldn't create the initial high cost of entry where it felt like the safer choice was just to toss something obviously not a snapshot into SAD just because they didn't want to muddy the waters.

I know I worked really hard on trying to improve my abilities to make images worthy of PAD, and right about the time I feel like I'm getting closer to justifying contributing to that thread, it seems to have died out.

Likewise, SAD is updated so frequently that it seems like great shots go by so fast that it's very easy to miss out or get caught up in the crush of the newest hotness that there isn't much time for a worthy image to get the attention it deserves.

On one hand, it's a nice conceit that even our snapshots are works of loving art, we all know the reality is that most of what we've tossed into SAD lately took actual tme and effort and wouldn't really pass muster as a true snapshot, were it not for the convenience of being able to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Looking through the "Fragmente" thread and remembering some of the previous projects people have posted here made me think maybe a "Link & Discuss Your Projects" thread would be kinda cool.

I'm not thinking about a scenario where we suddenly have someone's entire 365 pics posted, but posting a pic or 2 with a brief explanation of what your unifying theme or goal was and then providing a link to the full set and opening up the discussion would be neat. I'm not sure if there are enough people on here with enough active projects to make this bear fruit or not, but I just thought I'd toss it out there.