Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

Looking through the "Fragmente" thread and remembering some of the previous projects people have posted here made me think maybe a "Link & Discuss Your Projects" thread would be kinda cool.

I'm not thinking about a scenario where we suddenly have someone's entire 365 pics posted, but posting a pic or 2 with a brief explanation of what your unifying theme or goal was and then providing a link to the full set and opening up the discussion would be neat. I'm not sure if there are enough people on here with enough active projects to make this bear fruit or not, but I just thought I'd toss it out there.

I didn't even know how much I wanted this until I just read it. I tend to be project oriented and they often fall way outside the purview of SAD but I want to share anyways but don't want to push threads off the first page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd ask that anyone who feels the same as Awkward Davies (thanks for the actual effortpost and not just 'bring back SAD'), re-evaluate their preconceptions about PAD though, especially regarding the perceived minimum skill level, since there actually isn't one and there are rules in place (that I'm more than happy to enforce) to ensure that new people don't get ripped on for not being 'good enough'.

I have absolutely nothing against PAD in either implementation or the idea behind it, it just doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's not about the effort, it's about taking something I approach in a loose fashion and breaking it down systemically. This is something I do for fun and myself since I already give and receive critique during my day job while making other people's ideas and art. That's not supposed to be flippant or whiny, I have different motivations and get different things out of the Dorkroom. Ultimately, the Dorkroom is a subforum of a subforum. The participants here are pulled from a larger base of people who paid their $10 for their own various reasons to be here. I think the question of what the role of the Dorkroom is and who is it for is what PAD calls into question.

I never viewed SAD as a photo dumping ground, I liked SAD for the glimpse into what people in the Dorkroom were doing, where they were going and what they chose to put their eyeballs on. I've learned far more from what different people decided had value enough to share than how any particular image was executed. I'm not a photographer, I'm a guy with some cameras-photography is just a technical means to an end to me.

Even though I may not be enthused about a particular image, I can sit here and say that I've been moved and influenced by many people in the Dorkroom and that approaching the Dorkroom as way to connect with people has brought me dukeku's medium format photos of lonely buildings, aliencowboy and Mr. Despair's landscapes, krackmonkey and Augmented Dickey's urban wanderings, QPZIL's experiments with his billion cameras, Tom Rinthema's family, etc and ad infinitum. These are just some of the Dorkroomers and their work that I can name off the top of my head.

Sorry for being a wordy bitch, I just wanted to put to print what it is I get out of the Dorkroom.