Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Where did BradIndustry go? Looked at our mods, and he's not listed. Saw that he hasn't posted since October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ConfusedUs posted:

Manny, dude, you should probably stop before you get in trouble. That has to be the most thinly veiled, passive-aggressive, "Why the hell did YOU get promoted" accusation I've heard in a very long time.

We know you don't like SoundMonkey. Seriously man, we know. So let's stop the hate train before it gets rolling and get back to posting awesome pictures.

This was not helpful, and looks like what caused the ban.

Hopefully, Mannequin is at least reading and will come back, since this seems to have been clearly a mistake in the banning. He's not a low content poster like some, or a drive by nighter, we need him here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ButtMonkey posted:

As a fun side-note, the correct place to express displeasure about moderation policies is not, in fact, a belligerent AIM message, pretending to be someone else, on a throwaway account. It did make my day however, so thank you to the person who did that.

It's also not a good idea to do this if you have a really distinctive writing style. Wink wink.

C'mon, we need more. Satiate our curiosity.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SoundMonkey posted:

Actually if people get some decent ideas going we might just try them out one at a time, sorta Rotating Subforum style, and see if something ends up working.

I'd ask that anyone who feels the same as Awkward Davies (thanks for the actual effortpost and not just 'bring back SAD'), re-evaluate their preconceptions about PAD though, especially regarding the perceived minimum skill level, since there actually isn't one and there are rules in place (that I'm more than happy to enforce) to ensure that new people don't get ripped on for not being 'good enough'.

And yeah that dude got ripped on for a snapshot, but mostly because he explicitly stated that it was. Neither myself nor anyone else is (or should be) scanning through PAD and singling out people they don't think make the cut.

I'm a SAD guy. I shoot lots of "snapshot" photos, but I give them effort, and want to display them for possible critique from the dorkroom. I avoid PAD with them, since they are snapshots. I still read PAD, and critique there sometimes. But I find myself trying to jam photos into the specific threads.

A photodump is good and bad. It encourages the newbies to post, and then we can push them to PAD. A common refrain was, "post that in PAD, that's no snapshot!" IT was a good initiation for cautious goons. The critique required keeps those without confidence out, and we need a way to encourage them to post, too. Awkward's ideas were pretty well thought out, I thought.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
SoundMonkey:

A good feature of the SAD days past was when someone was told to take the photo to the PAD for critique. This seems to actively discourage people from "moving up" to the big leagues.

Mr. Hornaday has a good point. If you quote a pic from SAD, but put that quote in PAD, it seems to serve the purpose of both threads quite nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

I am unironically considering making this now

Let's go. I'm already in the flickr group for benches.