Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Dread Head posted:

I think what was nice about the old PAD was not even the critiques but that there was some discussion around the photos. It seems like SAD is just a place to dump photos which can serve a purpose but it is not really a great way to improve your work. What was cool about PAD was that it encouraged discussions about photos such as why someone did that or how they did it. It seems like the only "discussion" in SAD is along the lines of "nice photo" which is fine but it does not really promote growth. I think if the rules in PAD were scaled back and made it a bit more open (IE not a mandatory critique) then things may change.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

The issue is that the people who need critique the most don't feel that they are qualified to give it, which discourages them from posting in PAD. On the other hand, some of the Dorkroom's best photographers only post in SAD either because they don't need/want critique or because they don't feel like giving it every time they post a picture -- they just want to share something cool. So you get the people best able to give critique posting in the non-critique thread and the people most in need of critique, who could really benefit from the experience of the better established guys, just kind of bouncing things off of each other.

In a perfect world, you'd be able to somehow force people to give crit, but I think we can all see that it's not working out that way. Instead, you end up with a PAD thread that barely gets any activity, to the point where it's not even a monthly thread anymore. Conversely, you get people posting photos in SAD that are in no way "snapshots."

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to restart the threads such that SAD is really about snapshots and PAD is about more thoughtful, considered work. Critique is encouraged in PAD but not mandatory. While this doesn't fix the "nobody wants to critique" problem, it at least stops discouraging people from posting in PAD.

quazi posted:

Rename SAD to "Dorkroom Image Dump". You can't post any text, except photo titles or flickr captions. You could reply to a post, but only with another photo. If you just want to say "cool photo, bro!", go to flickr and add it to favorites. (I think that's the "cool photo bro" button.)

I like the idea about changing the names of the threads - maybe something like Daily Photo Dump and Serious Photo Discussion, or something like that. I don't like those names, but you get the idea. The point is one thread is for "hey look what I took today" and the other is for discussion. Again, critique not mandatory, but the Serious thread should encourage discussion, even if that discussion is "I really enjoy this; how did you do it?"

I don't think you ever want to discourage discussion. The Dorkroom is small and pretty tight-knit, and I don't think a bit of discussion in an image dump thread would run it off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

East Lake posted:

Yeah the themed threads are doing ok. I feel like they'd be thriving if most SAD posters used them more though.

The themed threads are already a great resource when someone needs specific technique advice for that kind of photo. I get that you're saying that people don't post their photos in there, but I don't think they need to in order for those threads to be successful.

Just as an example, the bird thread starts off with a great technical primer and is mostly focused on giving advice to people who want to take pictures of birds. However, once someone takes a photo of a bird that they're proud of, there's no reason they shouldn't put that in SAD or PAD -- they want to know whether it's a good photo, not just if it's a good photo of a bird. SAD and PAD provide the biggest audience and thus the highest chance of useful feedback, so people post there the most. It's a bit of a feedback loop but it works.

Basically, if everyone cross-posted every theme thread photo to SAD or PAD, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. They serve different purposes.

SoundMonkey posted:

The question now is... rules. I think the guidelines people have come up with are great, but there's nothing really enforceable. Not that there necessarily NEEDS to be, it's not like I want to spend half my day dealing with reports, but if there's some kind of post in SAD or PAD that you think should actually be prohibited, now would be the time to speak up. Obviously all the standard forum rules still apply to everything (table breaking, 4chanism, being a belligerent drunk/high cocknuckle, etc).

I don't know if we need any hard-and-fast rules to make this work. I think the existing rules about high-volume photo posting are not bad, but could be loosened a bit. If you have a series of seven photos that absolutely must be shown together, you should be able to put that in PAD, but I think anyone posting over three at a time should have a compelling reason for doing so. The people around here aren't dumb and it ought to be pretty obvious when someone is abusing the privilege and/or spamming their poo poo. At that point someone can punch the report button.

You don't even have to phrase this negatively: just point out in the OP that fewer pictures will lead to more focused, more useful critique. It's easier to go in-depth on a photo when there's only one photo to think about.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Tempest815 posted:

fake edit: yeah I just checked I don't see a Dorkroom on SynIRC. But holy poo poo there's like 15 loving pony channels.

It's #creatives.