Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I know you mentioned selling stuff but I could possibly see having a thread that people could list (non gear) stuff they are selling. I think there are a number of people who sell prints etc. If we kept it to one thread it would not be disrupting other threads and people who are interested in buying or selling work etc have a place to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SoundMonkey posted:

Did you have categories in mind? I can see a couple different threads for selling stuff, but a "everything but gear" thread might get a bit jumbled.

The only real thing that had come to mind was prints really but if there are other things I could see it being broken out. I think you may have to see how much traffic its gets to see if we need multiple threads.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I think what was nice about the old PAD was not even the critiques but that there was some discussion around the photos. It seems like SAD is just a place to dump photos which can serve a purpose but it is not really a great way to improve your work. What was cool about PAD was that it encouraged discussions about photos such as why someone did that or how they did it. It seems like the only "discussion" in SAD is along the lines of "nice photo" which is fine but it does not really promote growth. I think if the rules in PAD were scaled back and made it a bit more open (IE not a mandatory critique) then things may change.

Edit: nonanone, there is no reason that I can see why people could not post a thread asking for crit (I think there has been the odd one), I think for most people this is not really ideal unless you are working on a series or a larger body or work. I find that for my self I usually dont end up posting more than 3 photos from a days worth of shooting but it depends I guess.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 28, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

quazi posted:

I don't know. There's something fun about seeing the beginners and seasoned pros all mixed up in the same thread.

While it is nice I think it can be really daunting for someone who just got a camera to post after someone who has been shooting for a while.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Medusula posted:

Would a word/picture association game be something people would be interested in or would it be too trite?

It has been done before and can be interesting assuming that there is enough participation.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

torgeaux posted:

Where did BradIndustry go? Looked at our mods, and he's not listed. Saw that he hasn't posted since October.

I am not sure, but I am sure that is probably why we have a new mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm not sure it's a PROBLEM per se, but you're right, the threads do at this point serve roughly the same purpose. We have the gear thread for gear, the Best Thread for chatting poorly, and... yeah, two threads for general chat.

Does anybody have any objection to me closing taintchat?

Will we still be able to discuss taints?