Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

So what you are saying Soundmonkey, is that i should post a HDR thread? :snoop:

Only if you don't feel an attachment to silly things like "having the continued ability to post".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

In that case I feel that Musket should post a "digital HDR snapshot" thread for the good of the forums. :wotwot:

I'm not even sure I have enough buttons to properly respond to a thread like that.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

You have no idea how much I wish this was possible.

EDIT: A shameful snype.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The "participation" that SAD encouraged isn't necessarily the good kind. I know people want a place to dump whatever photos they took without having to actually put any effort in and/or help anyone else improve, but that's sort of contrary to your stated goals for Dorkroom. If having to put effort into photos you post kills photography for a person, then... I dunno, man.

Also this is in fact a comedy forum.

I can shoot down the first two ideas off the bat, though, and honestly it makes me sad to do it. The "critique encouraged, but not mandatory" was in fact the original purpose of SAD. That went downhill pretty quick. A "more relaxed" PAD (this is not completely out of the question) would probably end up being roughly equivalent to the first idea. What makes this hard is that there's a significant population of people who just aren't ever going to give critique if it's optional, because thinking critically about a photo is actually somewhat challenging. I wish this weren't the case, but historically it would seem that it is.

You make some good points though, and it's clearly something people care about, so I'll have a think on this today and hopefully have a better/more complete response later on. Everyone else should feel quite free to post any ideas they have about this too, nobody's gonna get in trouble for having an idea I don't like.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Actually if people get some decent ideas going we might just try them out one at a time, sorta Rotating Subforum style, and see if something ends up working.

I'd ask that anyone who feels the same as Awkward Davies (thanks for the actual effortpost and not just 'bring back SAD'), re-evaluate their preconceptions about PAD though, especially regarding the perceived minimum skill level, since there actually isn't one and there are rules in place (that I'm more than happy to enforce) to ensure that new people don't get ripped on for not being 'good enough'.

And yeah that dude got ripped on for a snapshot, but mostly because he explicitly stated that it was. Neither myself nor anyone else is (or should be) scanning through PAD and singling out people they don't think make the cut.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 5, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Awkward Davies posted:

I wasn't talking about the dude who provoked you, I was talking about someone else who provoked a small spat when he said "this thread is not for snapshots". I'd challenge that person to explain what exactly that means, what makes a "snapshot" better than a "PAD", and what defines them.

Well poo poo, I guess I missed that, that's a flagrant rules violation and bad things would have happened if it'd been reported.

I AM tossing a few ideas around, and people have privately given me some interesting opinions, so I might throw up some kind of test thread later on today. Sneak preview: if you want critique, it won't be thread for you.

Also renaming photo a day just so it's not called photo a day any more is just plain silly. The current lack of a thread to dump low effort photos into is not oppressing valued members of the community nor is it killing dorkroom. There's nothing I'd love more than to have both kinds of thread and have them both work as intended, but I think getting there will be a challenge (as a bonus the failed ideas will probably end up providing a goodly amount of comedy while we get this all worked out).

Also unless anyone objects, I'll OP any SaD style thread that gets made, just so nobody has to get offended when "their thread" gets gassed.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 5, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

dukeku posted:

You can call me out by name, if you want. I don't get hurt when people disagree with me on the internet.

More people should strive to not get irl sad about things on the internet.

A new thread is up. Dump your photos in it. Dump as many as you want (as long as that number is five or less). View other people's photos. Just don't post a single word of critique. Or emptyquote a picture to say you like it.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 5, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

To clarify my intentions a bit, this isn't a "gently caress you SaD, you want this, you get this" thing on my part, I do care about peoples' enjoyment of this forum and how much use they get from it. I've heard from a couple people privately that they liked SaD just because they could be inspired by looking at other people's photos, so this will let that happen without overlapping with PaD's mandate.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I never viewed SAD as a photo dumping ground, I liked SAD for the glimpse into what people in the Dorkroom were doing, where they were going and what they chose to put their eyeballs on. I've learned far more from what different people decided had value enough to share than how any particular image was executed. I'm not a photographer, I'm a guy with some cameras-photography is just a technical means to an end to me.

Sorry for being a wordy bitch, I just wanted to put to print what it is I get out of the Dorkroom.

If a lot of people feel the same way as you about this, the new thread might actually just work.

Also never be sorry for typing a bunch of words, the more I know about what people get out of Dorkroom and what parts of it they like the most, the better we can make it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'd also like to encourage "offsite" (or out-of-thread) critique with the new thread - I've had many, many people get crit from me over AIM or PM or whatever, when they didn't feel comfortable asking in a public venue (although of course that's the first thing I encouraged them to do), so if you like someone's picture a lot and want to tell them that you found it really inspiring or whatever, why not shoot them a PM or an e-mail or AIM or something.

Ideally of course this would all just happen in Photo a Day, but for a variety of (valid) reasons some people don't post there, but would, I'm sure, love to hear that you enjoyed their photo and/or make a new friend or something. Just not in the thread.

I'm not all that great a photographer and my opinions are no more valid than anyone else's, but anyone who wants someone to look at their picture without it being in a public venue is more than welcome to PM/AIM me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Awkward Davies posted:

Question: will I be breaking a rule/social norms if I pull a photo from photo dump to PAD to critique it?

At this point I'm gonna say yes (ie, yes it would be breaking a rule), but it's something I'd thought of and don't have a great solution for yet, so stay tuned I guess.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I see what both you folks mean, and I agree, but the issue I run into is that the person who posted in the lovely Pix thread might not WANT their picture to be critiqued in PaD. I'm not entirely sure how to get around this, and it's the only thing keeping me from just saying "yes". Is there anyone who WOULDN'T be okay with their picture being quoted in PaD? I recognize that people might think it will all of a sudden be held to a much higher standard, but I would hope PaD people would be decent about that (especially since the person who took the photo wasn't the one who thought it should go in PaD).

Also yes, critique is prohibited because it's a photo dump, and that's all it is. Oddly this is probably closer to SaD's original intent than the SaD we knew.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm gonna go ahead and say yes, this is ok, provided you indicate that you're cross-pasting from Badthread, and of course the PaD critique rules apply. I'd also just ask other people critiquing that photo to bear in mind that the person did not originally post it in PaD.

If anyone gets their photo cross-posted and doesn't actually want it in PaD, report the post or PM me and I'll edit it out and edit out quotes of it. Not that I see this actually happening, but just in case.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

I think the general gear thread could use a restart soon. It's past 12k posts and more than 3 years old. I think mainly to make it look less scary for new posters. (There isn't much new information that needs to go in the OP, I think.)

Sounds like someone just volunteered.

Go through the OP and edit/update anything that's wrong, and feel free to post a new thread (at which time the old one will go on a mystical journey).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

If you have plat there should be a button labled report next to the quote button, otherwise

This. If a post is bad, send me an e-mail, hit me up on AIM, which is on pretty much 24/7, send me a PM, or get plat so you can report or something. A post doesn't have to have a report for me to do something about it. If a thread is going to poo poo, also send me an e-mail, because while I try to keep an eye on everything, I'm not in every thread all the time.

lovely posts are lovely posts no matter the subject, and lovely posts are something you should report (or otherwise let me know about).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Yeah, I'm not gonna go around being the arbiter of what is and is not "acceptable" critique, but if you post something really really dumb (see 'all teeth no tits' in portrait thread for details), I'm probably just going to decide it's bad by anybody's definition and probate you.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump for more concise rules in the OP, go have a look.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mannequin posted:

Edit: Hey, there was a post here but I took it away because I didn't read something all the way through and I'm an idiot, so this doesn't need to be here anymore. It now serves as a secondary bump!

Well uh... glad you found what you were looking for! :)

In case it was somehow related to the updated rules post... y'know, you folks CAN suggest rules if there's some trend I'm not aware of that's getting annoying for people. I basically just do the rules as what I think is a good idea and/or funny.

EDIT: gently caress I almost just edited your post instead of quoting you, I need a Chrome extension that throws up some 'are-you-sure' message when I go to edit someone else's posts.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I banned him like a month ago.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

Yes, if only we could find ways to have less discussion on these forums.

I don't actually know what you're talking about, since the suggestion had nothing to do with the pre-existing no-crit thread with those words already in the title.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

David Pratt posted:

We have "CRITIQUE PROHIBITED" in the title of the low-effort thread, how about "CRITIQUE MANDATORY" in PAD's title?

As for this, I don't really think it's necessary, since PAD has been mandatory-critique since the dawn of time. It's only on the other thread because it's a relatively new thread/idea.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump to note the addition/reinforcement of rule 2a.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Santa is strapped posted:

Yea same. Most people provide click throughs to their flickr pages.

Or the other option is to take a photo out of the Low Effort thread and comment on it in the PAD thread.

I'd have to say this is the best option.

It's sorta become apparent in the past couple years that low-effort-critique threads are one of the nice things we can't have.

Of course, there's no rule against low-effort critique in themed threads (film, portrait, etc).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

If I feel the need to thank a poster for their photographic efforts in a casual fashion I just pretend one of my couch cushions is them and like high five it. Working out pretty well so far.

You should probably hug it too, since couch cushions are soft and the poster would feel even more appreciated.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

atomicthumbs posted:

how about low-effort critiques allowed in PaD, but they don't qualify you to post your own photos?

That leaves me as the arbiter of what is and is not 'low effort', which is not really a position I want to be in, but if people actually post "this is low effort so it doesn't count", I'm okay with that. I'm just not going to probate someone for posting photos if their critique wasn't up to whatever the hell arbitrary standard I have.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mightaswell posted:

Just a suggestion, maybe we can merge the "Taints" thread and the the "bros before ISOs" thread? They are both general dorkroom chat type threads.

I'm not sure it's a PROBLEM per se, but you're right, the threads do at this point serve roughly the same purpose. We have the gear thread for gear, the Best Thread for chatting poorly, and... yeah, two threads for general chat.

Does anybody have any objection to me closing taintchat?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dread Head posted:

Will we still be able to discuss taints?

Well obviously.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Make the thread, if it works it works if it doesn't work it'll get archived on it's own when noone posts.

No reason not to make it!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump for the addition of rule 18. It's getting really annoying.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Spedman posted:

I'd like to suggest stickying the Awesome Photos thread right up there next to PAD, its a great point of reference as to what our photography should be aiming for.

It is, but I think it gets enough activity to never drop to page 2 without having Yet Another Sticky.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rio posted:

circle jerk

DJExile posted:

Vaginas.

Ok so I'd sorta been deliberately ignoring that thread for a while because while it was a bit circle jerky and terrible (ok more than a little terrible), at least it wasn't generating reports and poo poo.

I'm not really opposed to the concept of that thread, but that particular thread ID right there was a really, really lovely thread and I locked it before I had to start pressing buttons bigger than 'Close'. Let's all take a few days off from that (type of) thread and maybe think up some ways to have it not be a horrible unfunny circle jerk, then revisit the idea.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

David Pratt posted:

Because it's funny and this is a humour website.

While I agree with dukeku this is also true. I'm trying to come up with some ways for a thread like this to not be exactly what that terrible thread was.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Be funnier next time? :shrug:

This but unironically, actually. It ain't a race to the bottom of the barrel, it's supposed to be actual funny commentary on bad photographs.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Laser Cow posted:

Can we make it that if you haven't actually used a piece of equipment you should't express your opinion about it as if you have. I feel like this shouldn't have to be said but there seems to be a lot of opinions about gear that isn't necessarily founded in actual experience.

Absolutely not and also what the hell.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This isn't the drat chat thread you idiots.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

I propose a new rule, that we are allowed to chat ITT.

Carefully considered and summarily rejected.

Shortbus agrees.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I propose that if you use shortbus in any official manner (such as the above mention) that a picture be included as proof.

I propose you stop making GBS threads up the rules thread before I probate you :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Opensourcepirate posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before - I quickly searched the thread for some keywords and didn't find anything.

How would people feel about having a thread for local people to find each other. I'm mostly over in AI now, where there's a few different threads for different parts of the world. I've been meeting up with the New England AI people and it's been a lot of fun.

I was thinking of doing it like how TCC does (did?) it. I met some cool people from there years ago. We'd have one local thread everyone posts in something like this.

Name: OSP
Shoots: Film, Digital, Digital Video
Equipment: SLR (Minolta) DSLR (Sony)
Interested in: Geeking out. Buying cheap equipment. Finding someone with a darkroom.
Contact info: My username @gmail.com

Feel free to post a thread or something, if it's great then awesome, if it sucks then gas :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Just to clarify re: posting new threads.

If you have an idea for a thread and it's not like rules-bending or something, just post it. If it's good, it'll thrive. If not:

1) It will languish on page 2 with the Olympus thread
2) It might become the new Best Thread
3) If it's terrible I'll just no-probation-gas it or lock it

So really it's not that huge of a risk, there's no reason you have to check with me first (although you can if you want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

You fuckers still owe me for when I bumped it because it was a day from going to archives.