Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
When I was a kid Maron was like the host of that Comedy Central stand-up showcase show Two Drink Minimum (it went through a couple iterations) and from like 96 to now, any time he was on TV I would stop what I was doing to watch him because it was poo poo I had to see. I like his style.

But I wasn't aware he had a podcast till now. I'm weird, I'm not a huge fan of interviews - they're either boring or so awkward they make me uncomfortable, so I might be in a tiny minority that wants to check out WTFpod just for the monologue. Granted in most of his stand-up I've seen he wasn't hasing out personal stuff or being a dick. That might be a turnoff.

The Louis C.K. stuff sounds like the cream of the crop though, I'll check that out first.

[edit] A couple people mentioned Maron wouldn't let go of the stupid "stealing my essence" line from the feud between Dane Cook and Steve Byrne. I got that, I thought it was funny. He was being a dick. He was deliberately pissing Dane Cook off, and like a true dick he backed off it and was like "I'm just joshing chill out". You could tell this was like an in-joke with him and someone else, and here was the guy that they had been making GBS threads on for years - time to poo poo on him a little, in person.

I like that, because its not like a typical network interview deal. Dane sells out Madison Square Garden Maron repeatedly says, but that goofy "essence" line sums up Cook more for him than anything else. He doesn't give a gently caress how many tickets he sells. He's the guy who said that. For the record, I don't know what the gently caress Dane Cook's talking about. Steve Byrne has his own thing. Cook hasn't trademarked being a good-looking charismatic comic. Then again I've never understood the feud between Dennis Leary and Bill Hicks. [/edit]

Mr. Stingly fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Mr. Stingly posted:

When I was a kid Maron was like the host of that Comedy Central stand-up showcase show Two Drink Minimum (it went through a couple iterations) and from like 96 to now, any time he was on TV I would stop what I was doing to watch him because it was poo poo I had to see. I like his style.

But I wasn't aware he had a podcast till now. I'm weird, I'm not a huge fan of interviews - they're either boring or so awkward they make me uncomfortable, so I might be in a tiny minority that wants to check out WTFpod just for the monologue. Granted in most of his stand-up I've seen he wasn't hasing out personal stuff or being a dick. That might be a turnoff.

The Louis C.K. stuff sounds like the cream of the crop though, I'll check that out first.

[edit] A couple people mentioned Maron wouldn't let go of the stupid "stealing my essence" line from the feud between Dane Cook and Steve Byrne. I got that, I thought it was funny. He was being a dick. He was deliberately pissing Dane Cook off, and like a true dick he backed off it and was like "I'm just joshing chill out". You could tell this was like an in-joke with him and someone else, and here was the guy that they had been making GBS threads on for years - time to poo poo on him a little, in person.

I like that, because its not like a typical network interview deal. Dane sells out Madison Square Garden Maron repeatedly says, but that goofy "essence" line sums up Cook more for him than anything else. He doesn't give a gently caress how many tickets he sells. He's the guy who said that. For the record, I don't know what the gently caress Dane Cook's talking about. Steve Byrne has his own thing. Cook hasn't trademarked being a good-looking charismatic comic. Then again I've never understood the feud between Dennis Leary and Bill Hicks. [/edit]

The Hicks v. Leary thing is easy.
Leary lifted more of his act than Dane ever lifted from Louis.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's more than that. Dane may have lifted a couple jokes. Leary lifted a persona and act.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
And there was no ambivalence in the Leary vs Hicks dispute either. They were friends, Hicks felt Leary wronged him, and essentially hated him to the grave.

Honestly there are a few reasons to have issues with Leary, joke-lifting among them.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Another fun Leary fact, he ripped off his "I'm an rear end in a top hat" bit from Louis CK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhxqnCyoGo#t=2m50s

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 19, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Now, this is the problem with this sort of thing. Leary undeniably lifted the genesis of that bit from Louis CK - but did louis set it to music and add all the other examples? Well, no. It's theft, yeah, but comedy (and many other performance acts) thrive on copying and invention. Obviously somebody like Carlos Mencia is to be shunned, but there's a huge grey area there.

But yeah, Denis Leary does owe a hell of a lot to Bill Hicks. But then Leary was always more of a straight-up joke teller than Hicks was late in his career.

Actually, two law professors sat down and studied this from a copyright perspective. Here's an awesome radio story about it: http://www.onthemedia.org/2010/apr/09/take-my-joke-please/

e:(If you hate listening the transcript is here: http://www.onthemedia.org/2010/apr/09/take-my-joke-please/transcript/)

2e: If you hate listening, why are you in this subforum?

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 19, 2012

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Caught up on a few other recent-ish WTFs, and I have to recommend the Michael Ian Black interview.

Marc seems to be looking for closure to their sorta-feud, but still takes some passive aggressive digs at Black throughout the interview. Not sure what to make of the whole thing, but interesting nonetheless.

Did a control + f for "michael ian" and sure enough.

The tension in this interview is palpable and, for that, I would also recommend it. I don't think it endears Michael but I might need to re-listen at some point.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I really loved Diablo Cody and Weird Al. The interviews just seemed natural and easy and not full of Marc angst and he was just firing on all cylinders. Marc was also on Allison Rosen's show this week and that was decent too. She's finding her stride as an interviewer.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Weird Al's lack of cynicism was great to hear. Pretty rare for this show.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

jyrka posted:

Weird Al's lack of cynicism was great to hear. Pretty rare for this show.

I'm about halfway through it, and I've made the following determination:
Weird Al and Paul McCartney are the two nicest people in the entire entertainment industry.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah I thought Weird Al was great. Really nice, genuine guy.

Interesting tidbit from that interview (unless its been mentioned before): Marc's current gf works 'in the field of psychology.' Not horribly surprised, but interesting nonetheless.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I've been combing through past interviews because Maron manages to get some of the most spectacular guests on his podcast, but I just can't stand him or his style because of the way he treats some of his guests. I actually like Carrot Top's work, but in the interview, Maron keeps dogging him like he's trying to make him cry, or admit that his career is a failure. Carrot Top is a classy guy, though, and just rolls with it.

And even though Anthony Bourdain isn't much of a comedian, he gives a terrific interview. I just get frustrated when Maron states that he loved Bourdain's books, but conducts the interview, asking questions that indicate that he has barely cracked the cover. Not questions that expose answers he's looking to illuminate, he is clearly unfamiliar with what Bourdain has done or written.

The discussion of the philosophy and practice standup also gets a little tired from interview to interview, but I guess that's what he knows best, so that's what's continually covered.

I guess I just wish someone else could get this caliber of guests, then I'd listen to their podcast instead.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Civil posted:

I've been combing through past interviews because Maron manages to get some of the most spectacular guests on his podcast, but I just can't stand him or his style because of the way he treats some of his guests. I actually like Carrot Top's work, but in the interview, Maron keeps dogging him like he's trying to make him cry, or admit that his career is a failure. Carrot Top is a classy guy, though, and just rolls with it.
Funny how two people can listen to the exact same thing but hear something completely different :)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Civil posted:

And even though Anthony Bourdain isn't much of a comedian, he gives a terrific interview. I just get frustrated when Maron states that he loved Bourdain's books, but conducts the interview, asking questions that indicate that he has barely cracked the cover. Not questions that expose answers he's looking to illuminate, he is clearly unfamiliar with what Bourdain has done or written.

The discussion of the philosophy and practice standup also gets a little tired from interview to interview, but I guess that's what he knows best, so that's what's continually covered.

I guess I just wish someone else could get this caliber of guests, then I'd listen to their podcast instead.

I feel the same way, he gets really great guests but I'd rather just hear them give a monologue for an hour than talk to Maron and have to answer his contrived "So you were bullied as a kid? Your dad wasn't around I bet?" armchair psychologist questioning

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Interesting tidbit from that interview (unless its been mentioned before): Marc's current gf works 'in the field of psychology.' Not horribly surprised, but interesting nonetheless.

She works with troubled kids, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned this before but it might have been on a different show.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheRealGunde posted:

Funny how two people can listen to the exact same thing but hear something completely different :)

He did include the disclaimer that he "likes Carrot Top's work" which is probably an indicator of more serious psychological problems.

Civil, if you're also a big Gallagher fan you may want to stay away from that episode.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Dancing Potato posted:

She works with troubled kids, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned this before but it might have been on a different show.

Autistic kids, actually. He mentions it in Episode 218 - Jack Gallagher

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
A day in the life of Marc Maron:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/338449/a-day-in-the-life-marc-maron

I'm around halfway through and so far I'd recommend it if you listen to the podcast.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

NotWearingPants posted:

A day in the life of Marc Maron:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/338449/a-day-in-the-life-marc-maron

I'm around halfway through and so far I'd recommend it if you listen to the podcast.

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States.

gently caress.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I've stopped listening to WTF. I haven't really cared about the guests, I've had a huge backlog of episodes, and just haven't been motivated to hear the same bitching and moaning. Maybe I'll just pick and choose based on if I'm interested in the guest or not.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I've stopped listening to WTF. I haven't really cared about the guests, I've had a huge backlog of episodes, and just haven't been motivated to hear the same bitching and moaning. Maybe I'll just pick and choose based on if I'm interested in the guest or not.

He hit a dry spell for awhile, but the last 3---Molly Shannon, Michael Cera, and particularly Jeffrey Tambor--have been great.

But I usually enjoy the more well-known comedians/actors than the no-name or underground comedian podcasts, so ymmv.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
The recent Michael Cera and Jeffery Tambour one's have been great. Anytime Tambour would jokingly yell or belittle Marc, "Don't you loving interrupt me." and Marc would just be like "uhh okay!" was hilarious.

I also enjoyed Cera's story of introducing Tambour him to his mother: "I don't want to talk to your loving mother" and walking away.

It looks like there's another David Cross episode that's been recorded. Looking forward to that.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Peacebone posted:

It looks like there's another David Cross episode that's been recorded. Looking forward to that.

Is this true? David Cross recently kind of made a shot at Marc on Doug Benson's podcast.

Should be an interesting interview.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Cera one was very good. Unfortunately I don't like the live WTF's so didn't last long on Tambour. Really looking forward to Cross, we'll see if Marc can subdue the political side like he normally tries to.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Tambour's was so good because of how their chemistry melded over the course of the show.

It was blatantly awkward early on--something they discussed later on into it. That awkwardness made it great.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Is this true? David Cross recently kind of made a shot at Marc on Doug Benson's podcast.

Should be an interesting interview.

Yup, mentioned in the Cera interview that he just recorded with David but forgot to even bring up Arrested Development.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The Tambor and Cera interviews were so good I can't wait for the Cross one. Maron should just run through the cast of Arrested Development.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

He hit a dry spell for awhile, but the last 3---Molly Shannon, Michael Cera, and particularly Jeffrey Tambor--have been great.

Yeah, I really don't like Molly Shannon's comedy (or at least her characters on SNL) but I really enjoyed the episode.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Totally with you.

She annoys the poo poo out of me, yet I really enjoyed her interview. She seems nice enough.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Totally with you.

She annoys the poo poo out of me, yet I really enjoyed her interview. She seems nice enough.

I think you guys should go back and give "Superstar" another look. It was ahead of its time.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I liked the David Cross episode. I knew most of the stuff about his deadbeat dad and drug problems from his book, but it was still a good listen. I'm really excited about Chris Elliot being on this Thursday.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Groucho Marxist posted:

I liked the David Cross episode. I knew most of the stuff about his deadbeat dad and drug problems from his book, but it was still a good listen. I'm really excited about Chris Elliot being on this Thursday.

If I really enjoyed this WTF, would you recommend the book? Is it more of a biography or more about his attitude about comedy?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

There are some biographical parts and funny anecdotes, but a lot of it is just written bits. Some of the bits were just reposted stuff from bobanddavid.com. I was a bit disappointed as a longtime fan of his buying it on the day of its release, but it's worth the 5 bucks it's going for on Amazon right now.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Thanks, I think I'll check it out even though I was hoping for more biography.

Glad you mentioned that price; I was going to buy the kindle version but it's $11 :confused:

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The audiobook of I Drink For A Reason is fun because he constantly excoriates the listener for buying the audiobook instead of the actual book, and then at some point he lets a band he likes play a song.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Auritech posted:

The audiobook of I Drink For A Reason is fun because he constantly excoriates the listener for buying the audiobook instead of the actual book, and then at some point he lets a band he likes play a song.

Not just that, the song is a musical version of a long comedy list from the book played by Les Savy Fav. It seriously lasts almost ten minutes. There's also a part where another comedian barges in (I wish I could remember who it was, I haven't listened to it in a couple of years - maybe Zach Galifianakis?) and starts reading the text instead of Cross, leading to an argument.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Dancing Potato posted:

Not just that, the song is a musical version of a long comedy list from the book played by Les Savy Fav. It seriously lasts almost ten minutes. There's also a part where another comedian barges in (I wish I could remember who it was, I haven't listened to it in a couple of years - maybe Zach Galifianakis?) and starts reading the text instead of Cross, leading to an argument.

The audiobook is worth it just to hear David say, "foooooootnooooooote" for each footnote. And if I remember correctly, it was H Jon Benjamin that barged in.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
I thoroughly enjoyed the audiobook, maybe you can even get it for free on audible.com

edit: promo code wtf of course

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Great one with Smerch today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

This Kevin Hart episode is totally skippable, right?

• Locked thread