Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know this is way old news but holy poo poo the Gallagher interview... I pulled it up on youtube and used someone's skip-the-preamble timestamp and thought they must have mistimed it but no, dude was irate from the first second. How is he even still alive?

Hate is all he has. He's a bitter old gently caress who time has passed by, who doesn't understand how the world can possibly be so different as to be unrecognisable from his heyday. He's bitter that he never got the acclaim of Leno or Letterman, he's bitter that he's a punchline and his stereotype is "watermelon smashing", rather than any of his more thoughtful, but less eye-catching standup, and he's resentful that today's young comedians don't have a huge amount of respect for him.

So, he goes into things convinced he's being made fun of, because he pretty much is. When he confirms his theories, he explodes with rage and turns into the butt of the joke, and storms out.

In current WTF news, the Billy West interview that went up today, like all Billy West interviews, is just pleasant and Billy seems like the nicest fuckin' guy. God, I love him. I really need to get around to listening to his podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Billy West is the bomb. I listen to the Futurama commentaries regularly and he's always really great on there.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

WTF Uncovered today is a bonus Marc and Tom Show from 2013 that was never released.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thirding the Billy West interview, that was a very interesting one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drat, Bill Paxton has died. Time to fire up his interview again

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Louis Theroux podcast is really awkward. Marc seems to respond very aggressively to Louis when they're talking about Marc's familiarity with his work.

Somehow the Westboro Baptist Church are more cordial with Louis than Marc is.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was fine, I'm guessing if you had video you would have seen them both smiling during those exchanges. I think louis should come back on the cast when he is isn't as rushed though so they could have a longer conversation.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Maybe aggressive wasn't the word I was looking for, Marc was just a little more short than usual about it.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
there was definitely some tension in the theroux interview. it was a weird one

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Loved the Paul Beatty interview. The Sellout is a rare book that can actually make you laugh out loud

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

anne hathaway is fun and the second most likely marc maron murder victim after lorne michaels

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought Anne Hathaway came across really likeable, and it was one of those interviews you feel could've gone on twice as long and they both would've been happy. Also, she has a killer laugh.

And weirdly, despite it being something that Marc actually saw for once, they barely talked about the movie.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

marc maron is good

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Jay Mascis episode is pretty good. Probably the most animated I've heard him (Mascis not Maron).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

Jay Mascis episode is pretty good. Probably the most animated I've heard him (Mascis not Maron).

I think I have to listen, J's always seemed like music's answer to Steven Wright when it comes to interviews.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
The Joel Hodgson episode is SO GOOD. Caution: it's one of those eps like the Roger Corman WTF where there's an interview with someone else before the interview. This one's with Jonah Ray and that part's junk. Skip to Joel and everything will be a-ok.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Alice Cooper in the latest episode.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

You Am I posted:

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Alice Cooper in the latest episode.

I did, too. I didn't really know much about Alice Cooper beforehand, but he seems like such a nice, genuine person.

The Jerry Lewis interview (which I don't think was ever released) was hilarious. The ending was so awkward.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

I did, too. I didn't really know much about Alice Cooper beforehand, but he seems like such a nice, genuine person.

The Jerry Lewis interview (which I don't think was ever released) was hilarious. The ending was so awkward.

It had been previously released, at least in part, because I clearly remembered the ending.

E: Apparently it was recorded in Aug 2016, and released Dec 9, 2016. WTF Uncovered #3, released in between episodes 766 and 767.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 30, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think it was a case of Marc being shafted by Lewis' management rather than Lewis being pissed off (like that Las Vegas interview). Marc was promised an hour with Lewis at the start of the day, but got shafted and pushed to the end of the interview queue.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Pretty good talk from Marc about the Louis CK situation. He actually gives the same account that Jim Norton did; they heard rumours but with no names attached. Both asked Louis directly and Louis denied it to them both. Sometimes it's times that like that frames Marc at his best because you're witnessing the honest growth of a person who was once lovely and is learning those lessons.

Also, that professor story...

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 19, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Is it just me, or is “mostly normal” Marc kind of losing his edge? Like he hasn’t gotten into any weird twitter spats, or acted super creepy to any of his guests lately.

I dunno where I’m going with this, but old Marc was a lot more entertaining.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

bengy81 posted:

I dunno where I’m going with this, but old Marc was a lot more entertaining.

I have felt that some of his recent interviews are him just chatting about things only he and guest know about (like a yet to be released movie or TV show) or he's playing The Chris Farley Show.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think he's mostly settled down and worked out whatever issues he had with his peers. When he started WTF it was at a time of personal & professional crisis and he was looking for an outlet. It's basically a standard interview show at this point, still good, but not the incisive psychodrama of the early years. I don't see another CK or Robin Williams deep exploration, or Mencia/Gallagher-type of expose happening ever again. Plus, he's now in his mid-late 50s, keeping up the whole angsty thing isn't really healthy at that age.

Personally I think he should do more acting; he was great in GLOW and the last couple seasons of the Maron TV show were fantastic.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Man, when he was combative or neurotic with guests it made for great listening. Oh well, I guess as far as wild men who do podcast interview shows there's, what, Joe Rogan?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I don't know if JRE is 'wild'. There's a lot of talking in circles about the same 3 or 4 topics regardless of whatever field the guest is noteworthy in. And giving a lot of credibility to snake oil merchants and alt right twitter personalities out of plain ignorance.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm happy that Heather Graham seems as cool as I thought she'd be.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mcvey posted:

I'm happy that Heather Graham seems as cool as I thought she'd be.

Yes, that was an awesome interview to listen to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Did it get better? I was interested in hearing them talk #metoo since I'm sure she has some stories, but I turned it off after 30 minutes of Maron's IMDB checklist interview.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Did it get better? I was interested in hearing them talk #metoo since I'm sure she has some stories, but I turned it off after 30 minutes of Maron's IMDB checklist interview.

Yes it does, and does get into #metoo territory

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the biggest problem is that he A, doesn't want to just have comedian friends on for long interviews for the third time, and B, has become one of the default press junket places for celebrities to go to if they're plugging something. So he keeps getting guests who are just "a celebrity looking to talk about their current thing".

Hardwick's relaunched Nerdist podcast (ID10T, which I think is an awful name) is having the exact same problem. They can't either lean on their friends for interviews for the fifth time, or get "new" people cuz they've run out, so it's just whoever is currently looking to promote a new thing. Sometimes either gets an interesting guest, but it's not been the norm as of late.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

rotinaj posted:

Hardwick's relaunched Nerdist podcast (ID10T, which I think is an awful name)

I dee ten tee?
id ten tee?

I'm struggling to see how that's supposed to be identity, I presume that's what he's going for because what else can it be

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I dee ten tee?
id ten tee?

I'm struggling to see how that's supposed to be identity, I presume that's what he's going for because what else can it be

It just means idiot

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drunkboxer posted:

It just means idiot

you found their next guest x_x

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The intro to the Duncan Jones interview made me turn it off. I understand wanting to talk about Bowie, but the way Maron stated that he knew Jones didn't really want to talk about it, got tense when he kept asking about it, and then kept asking about it just made me so uncomfortable, especially because Jones himself is not a confrontational figure that really deserves that kind of pushing. He's a great artist in his own right, and there's a difference between needling a guest on an uncomfortable topic and outright ignoring polite requests of "hey, I'm still grieving my dead dad, could we not" that just seems to cross a line.

I turned it off, so I don't know if Maron was just being overly self-flagellating about pushing on a touchy subject briefly or not, but still.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

1. I could not possibly do the amount of interviews Maron does and remain thoughtful or sane
2. Listening to him asking questions like "and you were what, 20 years old then?" "no, I was 28" repeatedly was exhausting.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Maron's obsession with Bowie is up there with his Lorne fixation. I remember him in the early days of WTF talking about how Bowie would be his dream guest, and just like with Lorne, he would bring up the subject with any guest who had even passing acquaintance with the guy. Of course he got his Lorne interview but will never have that chance with Bowie. :smith:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I, Butthole posted:

I turned it off, so I don't know if Maron was just being overly self-flagellating about pushing on a touchy subject briefly or not, but still.

He kind of was. It didn't seem that bad to me. Duncan Jones didn't seem particularly annoyed and they talk about it explicitly which eases the tension.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

fuf posted:

He kind of was. It didn't seem that bad to me. Duncan Jones didn't seem particularly annoyed and they talk about it explicitly which eases the tension.

This is how I felt about it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

The intro to the Duncan Jones interview made me turn it off. I understand wanting to talk about Bowie, but the way Maron stated that he knew Jones didn't really want to talk about it, got tense when he kept asking about it, and then kept asking about it just made me so uncomfortable, especially because Jones himself is not a confrontational figure that really deserves that kind of pushing. He's a great artist in his own right, and there's a difference between needling a guest on an uncomfortable topic and outright ignoring polite requests of "hey, I'm still grieving my dead dad, could we not" that just seems to cross a line.

You should give it another try. Duncan is a good sport about it and they only bring up his dad twice in what is a pretty long, detailed interview. And once the interview’s over, Marc self consciously asks if he went too far and Duncan is fine. Plus Duncan tells a fun story about his old man.

Also, Duncan jokingly says that he’s going to punch interviewers if they’re still bringing up his dad for his 5th movie... but interviews are doing it again because his dad just died and it was way beyond your normal celebrity death for tens of millions of people across multiple generations.

• Locked thread