Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Legitimately stoked that Kerri Kinney's dad was Lion-O. :childoftheeighties:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Looking forward to the Loren Bouchard episode since I love Dr. Katz and probably only know of Marc through that show. It occurs to me that WTF is basically the "real" version of that show in that comedians actually talk about their lives instead of mostly doing their bits. He needs to get Jonathan Katz on, also.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
The opening rant to the Coop episode reveals that Maron's girlfriend Jessica might have a WOW problem.

So Maron is dating a goon?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Old Janx Spirit posted:

The opening rant to the Coop episode reveals that Maron's girlfriend Jessica might have a WOW problem.

So Maron is dating a goon?

Was that ever even a question? This is a woman that obviously has such daddy issues she contacted a guy on the internet almost 20 years older than her to have sex and turned it into a 3 year relationship where she has demonstrated time & time again that she's batshit crazy. They're both crazy, but from Day One she has been pretty goony.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I recently listened to the Joe Rogan episode and Maron was really overt in trying to get Rogan to admit that him doing Fear Factor was a bad thing. He kept needling him and talking about how Fear Factor ushered in reality shows and was partially responsible for the dumbing down of America. The worst part was how in his pre-show rant he had to say how hosting a game show for a short time made him feel awful and whorish and he just wants to scream poetry or some nonsense. He just seems a little old to have that mentality (TV=bad, getting paid makes you a whore) because only the most insufferable of jackasses haven't grown out of it by their early twenties, especially when he shills for products on his podcast. I listened to the Patton one after that and he was talking poo poo about him doing some commercial in that one. I guess it's part of the pseudo-bohemian passionate man thing that he has going.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Was that ever even a question? This is a woman that obviously has such daddy issues she contacted a guy on the internet almost 20 years older than her to have sex and turned it into a 3 year relationship where she has demonstrated time & time again that she's batshit crazy. They're both crazy, but from Day One she has been pretty goony.

Is this the girlfriend that messaged him a picture of her hoohah super early on in the relationship?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's the only girlfriend/relationship he's talked about having since pretty much the start of the podcast.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ariza posted:

(TV=bad, getting paid makes you a whore)

Marc's point was that Joe Rogan doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to ranting about how society is getting dumber, not that someone who gets paid to be on TV is bad. The point isn't that Joe is bad, its that he wants to have it both ways; The establishment is dumbed-down bullshit, but doesn't mind getting paid truckloads of money to participate. Joe's response was Somebody's gotta do it, so I don't think he really understood the conflict either

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Marc is such an rear end in a top hat about "the craft" or w/e. Its the same sentiment that causes him to abuse younger comics. He is the loving worst thing about any industry where you have to "put your time in". I think he is a funny guy and whip smart but lord, what an rear end in a top hat.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Isn't it really a mix of both? Marc clearly has difficulties dealing with others, and seems extremely resentful of anyone who has been more successful than him, but at the same time Joe Rogan is both a hypocrite and not anywhere near as intelligent or subversive as he thinks he is.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

kuddles posted:

Isn't it really a mix of both? Marc clearly has difficulties dealing with others, and seems extremely resentful of anyone who has been more successful than him, but at the same time Joe Rogan is both a hypocrite and not anywhere near as intelligent or subversive as he thinks he is.
That's not inaccurate, but in that interview, Marc absolutely was needling Joe on a number of subjects, basically trying to paint him as some rage-filled homophobe/misogynist. Just stuff like how Rogan was talking about a girl who broke up with him as a teen, and he said "I left this really embarrassing message on her machine" and Marc says "Yeah? You were screaming and yelling at her?" and Joe's just like "Uh, no I was pathetically crying and begging her to take me back."

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

My take is that Marc is a bitter, jealous, rear end in a top hat but when he's able to takes a step back he's self-aware enough to realize and admit as much. But that doesn't mean he can prevent himself from falling back into that mindset and coming across as a resentful rear end in a top hat to guests and especially people who he's dealt with or already formed an (perhaps baseless) opinion about. It's just the way he is and I think that's part of his "charm".

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

thecopsarehere posted:

My take is that Marc is a bitter, jealous, rear end in a top hat but when he's able to takes a step back he's self-aware enough to realize and admit as much. But that doesn't mean he can prevent himself from falling back into that mindset and coming across as a resentful rear end in a top hat to guests and especially people who he's dealt with or already formed an (perhaps baseless) opinion about. It's just the way he is and I think that's part of his "charm".

He's getting softer by the minute, too. It would be interesting for him to have some of the guests from his rage-filled beginnings on again, I feel like he has mellowed out a ton in the last few months.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Marc jokes around in a bunch of the episodes that he dates girls with daddy issues but it wasn't until he basically made his gf clean her room to prove she's ready to have a baby that I really understood what he's talking about.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
drat... The Gilbert Gottfried episode made me lose some respect for Maron. Hard to listen to at some points.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Analytic Engine posted:

drat... The Gilbert Gottfried episode made me lose some respect for Maron. Hard to listen to at some points.

Why?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Care to elaborate on that? I was going to skip it anyways because dude's voice makes me want to cry.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah interested as to why. I listened to about half of it, and it was allright, but eventually moved on to another podcast because Gottfried laughing at himself filled up 70% of the time.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Gottfried is disappointed that comedians (and society) can't lean on casual racism anymore, and Marc seems to agree a little beyond "oh racist grandpa!"

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

Gottfried is disappointed that comedians (and society) can't lean on casual racism anymore, and Marc seems to agree a little beyond "oh racist grandpa!"

I believe they were lamenting an oversensitivity amongst the media/general public regarding jokes that involve racial stereotypes and other such "insensitive" jokes. I personally think there is a distinction between racist jokes and jokes that involve racial stereotypes, which ultimately comes down to intent (see: Don Rickles). I did not notice them defending actual racism.

This sensitivity is especially problematic when such jokes can be taken out of context and then easily misconstrued as racist when that was not the intent of the speaker at all. In the interview, for example, Gottfried said that his tsunami joke was never actually called a joke but, rather, commentary. You may believe he is racist, but it's hard to judge such things out of context and it's an odd double standard that reporters can widely publicize supposedly racist speech and not only not face retribution (like Gottfried did) but actually profit from it.

Also, yeah, Gottfried laughed way too much/too long at things that weren't that funny.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

thecopsarehere posted:

I believe they were lamenting an oversensitivity amongst the media/general public regarding jokes that involve racial stereotypes and other such "insensitive" jokes. I personally think there is a distinction between racist jokes and jokes that involve racial stereotypes, which ultimately comes down to intent (see: Don Rickles). I did not notice them defending actual racism.

This sensitivity is especially problematic when such jokes can be taken out of context and then easily misconstrued as racist when that was not the intent of the speaker at all. In the interview, for example, Gottfried said that his tsunami joke was never actually called a joke but, rather, commentary. You may believe he is racist, but it's hard to judge such things out of context and it's an odd double standard that reporters can widely publicize supposedly racist speech and not only not face retribution (like Gottfried did) but actually profit from it.

Also, yeah, Gottfried laughed way too much/too long at things that weren't that funny.

First off, I agree with you and Marc and Gottfried that journalism is pretty screwed up in what they can profit from while judging others. I'm casting stones myself, but since I doubt anyone will respect me or pay me money off of this post I don't care about coming off a little hypocritical (on the the Something Awful comedy forums).

I don't think Gottfried & Marc are racist themselves, but they don't seem to mind entertaining bigoted assholes in their profession and social community. The "racist grandpa" comment is probably too harsh, but I meant it as that kind of "oh that's just how he is" dismissal of really sick and destructive attitudes that enables them to continue though history.

You're right that comedians shouldn't be judged by parts of their comedy routines taken out of context, but that's because context can justify why they needed to say something otherwise socially unacceptable. If their context starts and ends at "it's an easy joke to deliver and it makes some audience members laugh" then why the hell shouldn't they be called out on perpetuating racism/sexism/homophobia/dwarf jokes/rape jokes/etc.?

Hopefully we can move past that poo poo as a society, but if they just throw it around without satirising or subverting it in a funny way then they're part of the problem. Everyone has different values and morals, and comedy isn't politics or debate, so I can't fault any given audience member for laughing or not getting up on a soapbox and grinding the performance to a halt just because they were offended. But the comedian made a choice to be in the situation and will often change how people think (at least subconsciously). Leaning on lazy self-perpetuating jokes like the Rickles/broom bit should be the mark of a hack, not a lovable quirk of comedians that just happen to be born in another time or community.

I felt an "I'll humor this guy since he's put in his dues" vibe from Marc, but his defining characteristic is cutting out tact and pacing to get right to the meat of an interview, so I'm probably just projecting a lot onto two guys discussing comedy and hardware stores. Good interview up until that poo poo, though.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
I would imagine he was fairly disappointed with the interview anyway since he pointed out how Gilbert stayed in character throughout.

Interestingly, Gilbert's real voice was coming through early on, and he reverted heavily into his character voice as it went on, which was a shame. I don't know that it matters.. I just wanted him to break character.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

I would imagine he was fairly disappointed with the interview anyway since he pointed out how Gilbert stayed in character throughout.

Interestingly, Gilbert's real voice was coming through early on, and he reverted heavily into his character voice as it went on, which was a shame. I don't know that it matters.. I just wanted him to break character.

Were you blown away by his Seinfeld too? It's not a perfect imitation, but drat is it a 180 from the Gilbert character voice.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Old comics who get upset by "oversensitivity " typically are just assholes. If you're gonna say hurtful poo poo, own up to it instead of blaming the audience.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Politicalrancor posted:

Old comics who get upset by "oversensitivity " typically are just assholes. If you're gonna say hurtful poo poo, own up to it instead of blaming the audience.

They're not assholes--they're old comics still living in the era. Their humor and jokes don't change, but the world around them has become increasingly PC and doesn't tolerate that type of humor much anymore.

Go back and watch Eddie Murphy standup for example; tons of jokes about "niggers, crackers, and faggots" everywhere, and he was crazy popular for it. Just different times.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The Jonah Ray episode's pretty good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm actually slightly bummed that Marc's cat is missing. I probably listen to too many podcasts.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I don't mind Maron and usually enjoy his guests. Until I started skipping the first 20 minutes I thought it was a terrible podcast. Definitely skip to the interview, it's worth it.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm actually slightly bummed that Marc's cat is missing. I probably listen to too many podcasts.

Everytime I hear boomer is still missing, I get bummed out too. I had a cat dissapear for 3 months and then he showed up out of nowhere once, so I hope Marc's cat is fine

Zeavo
Jan 17, 2011
For the first year of my podcast-listening career, Maron was the only podcast I listened to. I've since branched out to a lot more.

I don't know if it's because I've been exposed to so many other podcasts since, but now when I return to newer episodes of Maron they just feel a little stale. It seems like more and more, the questions Marc asks are inconsequential, about things I just don't care about. Getting a sense of one's background can be interesting, but he'll have guests elaborate on such little points from the past and I think he should just move on.

Jack White is my favorite musician ever from my favorite band, and I found about 50% of that interview underwhelming, asking him about the couches and the things on the wall in the room the interview was occurring in...I understand musicians are outside the norm for Marc's show, but I did really enjoy the interview with James Mercer from the Shins, so it's not like Marc can't get the job done with a musician subject.

But, when he's in his prime, he's still good, facilitating meaningful discussions on the craft, inspirations, behind the scenes hollywood business oral histories, etc. and those are the things I look for most in these kinds of podcasts.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Jimmy Walker interview is pretty ace. Man's long past giving a gently caress, so the stories are terrific.

EDIT: It also sounds like Marc's starting to lose hope on Boomer. :smith:

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 26, 2012

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I've been loving all these recent episodes, maron is still on top form.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Tim Heidecker is gonna be on Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9okyR1wx7nc

I'm really excited for this, been wanting this one for a while!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Juttman posted:

Tim Heidecker is gonna be on Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9okyR1wx7nc

I'm really excited for this, been wanting this one for a while!

I wasn't sure he was physically capable of doing any interview out of character.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Drunkboxer posted:

I wasn't sure he was physically capable of doing any interview out of character.

Yeah, he seems to be 'himself' in the clip. I wonder if he can keep it up for the whole interview though.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I hope he plays it straight and it goes over really well. Tim's character bit has it's moments, but he's also been a great podcast guest as himself (as mentioned elsewhere on this forum).

I think he'd be a great "straight-man" on CBB.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The Jimmie Walker interview was great but it sucks that Maron cut the interview short. Walker was in dish mode but Maron had to "be somewhere" so he abruptly just shut down the interview with no wind-down.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

plastered quack posted:

I hope he plays it straight and it goes over really well. Tim's character bit has it's moments, but he's also been a great podcast guest as himself (as mentioned elsewhere on this forum).

I think he'd be a great "straight-man" on CBB.

I've liked his CBB appearances he's done, especially the one with Eric to promote Billion Dollar Movie. I'm just excited to hear his whole real story since parts of it come out in some interviews like on Who Charted? They have a really interesting take on comedy and, even though it's not for everyone, I am interested to hear how it developed.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Happy Hippo posted:

The Jimmie Walker interview was great but it sucks that Maron cut the interview short. Walker was in dish mode but Maron had to "be somewhere" so he abruptly just shut down the interview with no wind-down.

I don't know if Maron has his interviews edited, but the interview was 90+ minutes as aired. It was fascinating, but the man's got other things to do with day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

This is sort of my deal and Maron becomes totally insufferable when he starts to rant about "sensitive" people having the nerve to be offended by some of the horrible poo poo comedians routinely get away with saying. Humor has a long tradition of being used as a weapon against different cultures, backgrounds, and lifestyles and stand up comics like pretend they aren't part of that while playing the "it's just joke!" card. Louis C.K. is actually a great example of this and it's part of what's wrong with the whole "scene"--he's a hero to a huge number of standups despite the fact that his act is essentially just him copping to being a total piece of poo poo and his show is a goddamn catastrophe.

Actually one of the most surprising and fun interviews that Marc has done is with a rando comic named "Killer Beaz" (#282) who laid that whole issue out and was dead on when he was explaining why he doesn't do racial humor of any kind, even in like the deep rear end south. Laughter, he says (and there's some science to back this up it turns out), is about inclusion. You make people feel safe when they're part of an audience, like they're part of the group, and laughter is kind of a way of expressing this. And comics who get laughs by making people feel excluded have to do a lot better than pretending to be special artistic snowflakes who can't be censored as Marc is prone to doing.

• Locked thread