Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I feel like if you can relate to any of Marc's craziness or insecurities it makes it a lot funnier. Otherwise it just comes off as sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Maron can be a dickhead who has no respect for comedians who don't do it the way Maron considers to be right way, and I've been among those that criticize him for this on these forums. But I find myself anticipating the interviews with comedians that I assume Maron thinks are gimmick guys to see if Maron calls them out on it.

Ralphie May for example, who is featured on the latest podcast which I haven't listened to yet, seems like a guy Maron would have no respect for. (I'm not a Ralphie May expert, but from what I've seen he would have no act without fat jokes, a fat version of Dat Phan)

I don't think I am looking to enjoy someone being poo poo on. I think I enjoy Maron's personal conflict between trying to be a better, less bitter person and the reality that he is still the same dickhead who thinks the work of many other comedians is low grade crap and that they don't deserve their success.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like that he gets big guests to open up but I really don't like Marc himself. His standup isn't funny at all and I skip his dumb rants every time. Recently TJ Miller tweeted something about Dane Cook's recent set where all he was doing was working out his personal issues onstage in the middle of a set and how comedians shouldn't do that. I feel like Marc Maron does that and nothing else.

Every time he pops up on Doug Loves Movies and everyone makes fun of him I laugh though!

The thing is, that's what Maron does best, he works out his personal issues on stage (and in his podcast). I'm of the opinion that Maron is an excellent stand-up, and his newest album is one of my all time favorites, because of stuff like that. He's an intensely personal comedian, kind of a complete 180 from someone like Daniel Tosh, or Anthony Jeselnik, who are joke comedians through and through. Both have their merits, but one has a lot more punchlines, and the other has a lot more moments where you go "oh poo poo I do that holy crap are we messed up". If you're a perfectly rational and sane human being, you might not find Maron as funny.

As for this whole "Dane Cook bombing hard" thing people keep talking about, I'm honestly on Dane's side. People bomb. It's a fact of comedy that you're gonna go up on stage and spectacularly fail. The whole "Dane Cook is onstage, shut the gently caress up" thing is a little awkward, but I get why he said it, because gently caress people talking while you're onstage. Dane has always been a bit serious in comedy (learned that from the WTF interview), and that comes off as douchey to some people, but he treats comedy as much more of a job than a lifestyle.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I just listened to the Rainn Wilson episode, and it was pretty enjoyable. Thought it was funny when Rainn said something about seeing a mongoloid eating a cheeseburger in the airport. The last person I knew who thought "mongoloid" was an inoffensive term was my grandfather, and he's been dead for some time now.

Good interview though, a lot better than I'd thought it would have been. The aborted USA network pilot sounded interesting, to say the least.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Catching up on some WTF, and I really enjoyed getting into the mind of Steven Wright in his episode, even if there was nothing truly groundbreaking.

How is the Penn Jillette interview? Worth checking out?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Penn Jillette is a fascinating combination of someone who bugs me but who I'm fascinated by. It was either the WTF episode or the Nerdist one where he made a wonderful point about his atheism being influenced by the love of his mother which I thought was a very interesting and kinda heartwarming perspective

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Cervixalot posted:

How is the Penn Jillette interview? Worth checking out?
Fantastic. As Riptor said, there is a Nerdist one that is also fascinating. He's just a really interesting guy who has lived a crazy life. The Marc Maron episode made me understand his political position more, even though I still disagree with it.

The one with Norm MacDonald was also really good. He's always been one of my favourite comics who never seemed to get the big break he deserved. Marc getting him to talk about his gambling problem was kind of shocking.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

kuddles posted:

The one with Norm MacDonald was also really good. He's always been one of my favourite comics who never seemed to get the big break he deserved.

:stare: You sure you're talking about the right Norm MacDonald?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mcvey posted:

Norm is loved by internet nerds but he's not the type to be headlining big budget Hollywood movies

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

mcvey posted:

He wrote two box office bombs, and had several attempts at comedy shows, most of which failed miserably. The sitcom dragged along for three seasons because a studio exec liked him and never really made him any money or was given a decent budget. In fact, he only was as successful as he was because of a few select people who were fans of his work. His "memorable" appearances on Conan were actually highly contentious because Conan thought he was funny but studio execs thought he was a drag, especially since he never had anything to promote. Internet nerds realize how clever his roast of Bob Saget was, but Comedy Central originally planned to cut it out of the broadcast because they thought it was so bad, and nobody in the audience at the time got it either. Hell, he even mentions in that Maron interview that most of the other comedians on that stage didn't find it funny either.

I guess compared to a lot of other SNL alumni he probably was pretty successful in the grand scheme of things, and I'm probably overstating it. I just meant that both his writing and stand-up were far better than he ever got respect for. He's now pretty much just doing stand-up and he doesn't draw very large crowds.

Speaking of which, his stand-up special in unedited form is currently on Netflix and it is incredibly funny.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 26, 2012

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Norm is loved by internet nerds but he's not the type to be headlining big budget Hollywood movies

Right but he's definitely had his chances at a 'big break', his humor just isn't cut out for the mainstream.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I like WTF. Listened to just about all of them. I get tired of him talking about his career but his insights are cool. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable and great when I'm working. I don't get the obsession with him though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

temple posted:

I like WTF. Listened to just about all of them. I get tired of him talking about his career but his insights are cool. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable and great when I'm working. I don't get the obsession with him though.

He's a neurotic, solipsistic, self-destructive loving mess, and only slightly moreso than I am. I find him incredibly engaging, and I relate to him and his problems very, very well. That's why I like him, as I imagine a great many whirling dervishes of stunted psychological development do. I was knocked out to hear him talk about his inability to understand healthy competition because I'd never really heard someone discuss it in a way that I could relate to so thoroughly before.

He's not mentally ill, but he's got so much scarring and faulty wiring that it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. Hearing someone realize, understand, and spend so much energy attempting to correct their problems makes me happy. It helps me understand that there are people like me who work hard to be a better person, and fall short every now and then.

And he manages to be all of that all the while being really loving funny. I don't see him as some kind of guru or anything, but hearing him struggle with trying to be a decent, happy human being, and starting to come into his own after so much unbelievable self-inlicted failure is pretty remarkable.

To tack a really asinine metaphor to it, I'm a bit of a Charlie-in-the-Box, and he's like the King of the Island of Misfit Toys.

That might not be the answer you were looking for, but that's why I'm such big fan of his, anyway.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Maron is how I imagine an alternate-universe version of Howard Stern ended up. No millions of dollars, no sycophants. Just a crazy Jew ranting in his garage surrounded by cats who is still capable of conducting some amazing and captivating interviews.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Wow Tod Glass chose a perfect way to come out. A close friend of mine came out to me within the last year so this was pretty interesting. Good to see I reacted pretty much the same way Marc did.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
latest episode (Jimmy Kimmel) starts at 13:00.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anybody listen to Marc on Pete Holmes' podcast? I had no idea that his young girlfriend Jessica is the stalker chick who sent him pictures of her vagina from his routine. It makes toooooo much sense.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Anybody listen to Marc on Pete Holmes' podcast? I had no idea that his young girlfriend Jessica is the stalker chick who sent him pictures of her vagina from his routine. It makes toooooo much sense.

Wait I thought he was dating Jessi Klein. At least the pic I saw looked like her.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The girl Marc is dating is not a comic. Just a fan.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

CommunistMojo posted:

Wait I thought he was dating Jessi Klein. At least the pic I saw looked like her.

His girlfriend is in her late 20s. And Marc has changed the locks on his house once already. I'm sure this is going to end well for him.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Caught up on a few other recent-ish WTFs, and I have to recommend the Michael Ian Black interview.

Marc seems to be looking for closure to their sorta-feud, but still takes some passive aggressive digs at Black throughout the interview. Not sure what to make of the whole thing, but interesting nonetheless.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Halfway through the Matt Graham interview. It is no mystery why I haven't heard of this guy, he is a creepy rear end in a top hat.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Bunk Rogers posted:

Halfway through the Matt Graham interview. It is no mystery why I haven't heard of this guy, he is a creepy rear end in a top hat.
Also he says "you know" way, way too much.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Glad my opinion about Matt wasn't alone. Jesus Christ.. this guy is a loving lunatic that shouldn't be allowed to be out in public unsupervised.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Him trying to sell Marc a boardgame was the strangest thing.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Bill Lawrence interview was pretty good, nothing mindblowing but enjoyable. Also for some reason I've always pictured him as an older guy (older guy bags hot wife situation), but he's not.

I wish they had talked about Clone High though :(

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I enjoy listening to someone who is kinda hosed up because I relate to a lot of it, but I just listened to the Dane Cook episode and it made me feel bad for Dane. I feel like they didn't fully understand each other and never really met in the middle - that whole motherfucker thing could have been cleared up with better communication and the whole episode was littered with spots where they were going in different directions which caused unnecessary friction.

The Louis CK episode was nice though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I love the end of the second Louis CK episode which is essentially him as a friend calling Marc out on his passive agressive attitude being a direct contributor to his feelings that all his comedian colleagues abandoning him.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm guessing that a lot of people in this thread follow Marc on Twitter anyway, but he announced earlier that he's going to have Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips on, which made me ridiculously excited since Wayne's an excellent combination of insightful and nuts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cast No Engine posted:

Bill Lawrence interview was pretty good, nothing mindblowing but enjoyable. Also for some reason I've always pictured him as an older guy (older guy bags hot wife situation), but he's not.

I wish they had talked about Clone High though :(

Miller is something like five or six years older than him, as I recall.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Mescal posted:

I want to see some standup live soon, since that would probably be different. The way the audience and the comic interact would be fun to be a part of. Probably like how going to a show is different from listening to a record.

I know this is from a long time ago, but if you haven't seen stand-up live then you haven't seen stand-up. Paul F. Tompkins firmly believes that they shouldn't have stand-up on TV because it's completely different (and worse in every way). It's very ignorant to say you don't like stand-up comedy but never actually see it

Also I can't loving stand Marc Maron, but I like the occasional interview he does. He's not the worst comedian/interviewer - that's Paul Gilmartin by a mile - but Maron can really come off like a dick. In his Joe Rogan thing he's blaming Joe (and Fear Factor) for like everything that's wrong with American culture and it just comes off as arrogant liberal elitism. Like, the kind Bill O'Reilly is always harping on about. His conversation with Garofalo on politics is similarly unlistenable.

But then he'll do some great stuff like the Mike DiStefano show.

Oh, and also, see how many of your favourite comedians Maron claims to have a rocky past with. Paul F. Tompkins, Patton Oswalt, a bunch of others.

So enter at your own risk, but there's nobody like Marc.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
drat, the intro was 20 minutes for the Maher episode.

I've been skipping through the intros until I hear the guest talk. Am I missing anything?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

I know this is from a long time ago, but if you haven't seen stand-up live then you haven't seen stand-up. Paul F. Tompkins firmly believes that they shouldn't have stand-up on TV because it's completely different (and worse in every way). It's very ignorant to say you don't like stand-up comedy but never actually see it

You're right. Since then, I've seen live standup a few times. I went to the Helium open mic here in Portland, and one regular show there. I was really impressed by the fact that 90% of the open mic amateurs actually had good material.

It's like the difference between hearing classical on AM and going to see an orchestra. But I'm still basically where I was--interested in comedy, fascinated by the hosed-up people who do it, but somehow not exactly a fan.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

He's not the worst comedian/interviewer - that's Paul Gilmartin by a mile

I'm curious, what about Gilmartin do you object to? I assume you refer to the Mental Illness Happy Hour, and although I haven't listened to every episode, the ones that I have listened to have seemed well-conducted and managed to properly balance the sensitive/inquisitive that drives the interview and the comedic that keeps things from getting too heavy for interviewee/audience. Not to say he's flawless in his approach by any means but I think he does a great job of cultivating an environment where people really feel comfortable opening up, even more so than on WTF.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah, definitely, but listen again and count how many times he misinterprets what a guest was saying or misunderstands something or loses his place. It's incredibly frustrating

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Blackula69 posted:

Oh yeah, definitely, but listen again and count how many times he misinterprets what a guest was saying or misunderstands something or loses his place. It's incredibly frustrating

I really noticed this in his interview with Kulap.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah, that's the one I first noticed it in and couldn't un-hear it.

But this is about Marc Maron. Who's the Onion writer who he interviewed in...an important hotel in the guy's life? Because that interview was soul-changing

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

GraPar posted:

I'm guessing that a lot of people in this thread follow Marc on Twitter anyway, but he announced earlier that he's going to have Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips on, which made me ridiculously excited since Wayne's an excellent combination of insightful and nuts.

If Marc's doing interviews with music people now I'd donate organs or bone marrow to hear Marc's ego clash with Anton Newcombe's. That would be the funniest. Gosh.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

NotWearingPants posted:

drat, the intro was 20 minutes for the Maher episode.

I've been skipping through the intros until I hear the guest talk. Am I missing anything?

Not really. Most of them are basically Maron doing self-therapy - like "I bought grapes and thought about DEATH" or "My girlfriend told me she loved me, but I didn't like her tone of voice, so I told her she could get hosed by dogs in hell!" and sometimes he does kind of a practice routine for what he does on stage (I assume). For the Maher episode it was more of the latter, some observations about his house and another on God and belief. It was okay but definitely skippable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Analytic Engine posted:

I really noticed this in his interview with Kulap.
Well he isn't a therapist. In fact he says that in the intro of the show. He is just a regular guy who talks with other regular people as try express themselves.

• Locked thread