Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I actually liked the Steve-O interview, and Marc seemed to genuinely like him too. Its good to see that he's got his life together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

JFC posted:

Marc was also extremely lazy by just going down her IMDB page. "So, Bull Durham. What was that like?"

This was the Rob Reiner interview verbatim.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bonzo posted:

This was the Rob Reiner interview verbatim.

At least for Reiner that's interesting because he's a legit Hollywood legend who was raised by and amongst other legends. Plus he's gregarious and loves to talk. Sarandon is like your stoned hippie aunt who you try to avoid at the Seder.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
That is true and I would have loved to hear more about his life and growing up rather than hearing the origin of Spinal Tap for the 11th time.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Did Garry Marshal have a stroke or something? I know his appearance on Louie was a few years ago but I remember his speech to be pretty clear and articulate whereas his speech in this interview was pretty slurred.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

He had throat cancer. He sounded just like the PFT impression up until a few years ago.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Man, the Broad City interview was painful. When the interview was over and Maron comes in with the "it was great, wasn't it" I thought he was loving delusional.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Then he gets the guitar out to put a cherry on top. Awful.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I haven't listened to WTF in a while. What was exceptionally bad about the Broad City episode?

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I haven't listened to WTF in a while. What was exceptionally bad about the Broad City episode?

What episode are you talking about? I looked at the recent ones and I can't tell which one you are referring to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Septic Knothead posted:

What episode are you talking about? I looked at the recent ones and I can't tell which one you are referring to.

The one with the stars and creators of Broad City.

It wasn't a trainwreck like people were saying. It was just clear Abbi and Ilana had done a million press junkets and don't care or need Marc to validate their success and that Marc doesn't care about Broad City because he's a 50 year old man.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The one with the stars and creators of Broad City.

It wasn't a trainwreck like people were saying. It was just clear Abbi and Ilana had done a million press junkets and don't care or need Marc to validate their success and that Marc doesn't care about Broad City because he's a 50 year old man.

OK i found it, 2/16/16. I (foolishly) thought this was from a somewhat more recent show, which I hadn't heard.

thanks

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just boring. They talk about their family and their comedy background. Nothing nothing nothing.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I gotta say, after a string of actor interviews that were just IMDB lists it was refreshing to hear Clark Gregg talk about a handful of interesting topics.

I didn't expect much as I haven't seen Gregg in anything but the Avengers movies but it was actually really interesting to hear him talk about acting theory, judaism, and theater. I would have loved to hear some more stories about the early 80's New York music scene.

All in all, a solid interview and very welcome given recent offerings.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I was hoping somebody would say that. Clark Gregg is one of those really awesome guys in Hollywood and it's good that he's found a modicum of success in Joss Whedon's stable of actors.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Today's episode is really odd, because Natasha Leggero still has no idea how deep into an twisted abusive relationship she was. Like Maron is just stating obvious facts like that he was stealing her money and was grooming someone half his age, and she's like tee hee yeah i guess he was a little silly, but he was so smooth. Very obvious points like it was an unhealthy lopsided relationship stop her in her tracks. Very bizarre to listen to and she definitely still has a thing for him. And then she has this thought that he reached out to her long after they split under the guise of an interviewer, as if he ever really gave a poo poo. Weird interview, and she only talks about something besides her insane captor with ten minutes left in the show. She just married Moshe Kasher last year and he doesn't even come up lol.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 16, 2016

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pretty sure she knows how hosed up it was. It's just that she's now a successful comedian in a loving marriage who can laugh at something from 15 years ago.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Yeah I can be pretty dumb and latch on to things that might not be there. For me it's because my high school gf had almost the exact some thing thing happen to her when we were in college and still friends, but the dude was maybe 50+yo and she was 21, same type of smooth talking liar only difference was there was no international move. It was a traumatic terrible thing and caused years of issues. So I'm listening to it like that and I felt like Maron was too, and not getting it from her. I probably biased to think that tho.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah, whenever I hear about poo poo like that I get really confused as to why the gently caress a woman will take all of this insane poo poo from someone and get totally taken advantage of. I eventually just chalked it up to it being my problem and that I was being paternalistic because that's the only way I could deal with the cognitive dissonance.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
It tough to talk about the situation without sounding paternalistic because im calling out someone who is sharp and talented and motivated enough to be interviewed on a podcast with an enormous subscriber base, like im some hot poo poo that can talk about the ~silly girl~ who don't know nothing. I'm not gonna keep clogging up the thread with my dumb opinions, but those stories as told were really weird and but were told like it all made sense and was normal.

Like i said im probably reading too much into it but relating it to my own stressful observation of that kind of relationship it seemed overly casual but also very present years later. I'm bad at forming my thoughts into words so apologies but i was disturbed by it.

e: :spergin: i was really high yesterday

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 17, 2016

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

life is a joke posted:

Like i said im probably reading too much into it

e: :spergin:

yeah, maybe.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

-Atom- posted:

yeah, maybe.

:P

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dude

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That was an incredibly awkward, though funny interview. Marc had no idea what to make of Natasha's story, and there's not much to make of it, really. She was in a weird emotionally abusive relationship, but that was over fifteen years ago. Nothing to be done about it. Sounds like he helped her figure out her stand-up persona, so that's nice.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Gethard is great always, so no surprise that his WTF ep is great. When he describes the show that used to bookend TCGS on public access I laughed my rear end off.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Chris Gethard was incredibly likeable, genuinely nice guy. I didn't realise I knew who he was until he mentioned he was featured on this american life. I'll check his other stuff out.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Chris Gethard was incredibly likeable, genuinely nice guy. I didn't realise I knew who he was until he mentioned he was featured on this american life. I'll check his other stuff out.

His only issue on Beautiful/Anonymous is that he works too hard on making sure he doesn't offend anyone. Every question and conclusion he draws has about 30 seconds of qualifying statements and disclaimers about how he means no offense and he doesn't want to make the person upset, and his first hangup call has about ten minutes of him agonizing over having made someone relapse into alcoholism, when the guy just had ta go because of work.

That being said, it's a pretty good podcast otherwise.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

rotinaj posted:

His only issue on Beautiful/Anonymous is that he works too hard on making sure he doesn't offend anyone. Every question and conclusion he draws has about 30 seconds of qualifying statements and disclaimers about how he means no offense and he doesn't want to make the person upset, and his first hangup call has about ten minutes of him agonizing over having made someone relapse into alcoholism, when the guy just had ta go because of work.

That being said, it's a pretty good podcast otherwise.

That "married to a monster" episode was very hard to listen to, but worth it.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jippa posted:

Try watching his interview show thing on youtube and report back with a timestamp of when you put a gun in your mouth.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chris Gethard owns and is cool and nice. His comedy is super honest and genuine. I have not watched much TCGS but I like everything else about him... I might try TCGS sometime... probably not. Too much backlog

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Chris Gerhard's book is great. He's also phenomenal at improv - lucky to have seen him a couple of times at UCB in NY.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The Chris Gethard show is not something I can just sit down and watch, but I Iike having it on while I'm doing something. They get lost and flounder a lot, but every now and then they hit on something great. (Talking about the public access show - haven't seen the ifc show yet.)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Chris Gethard owns and is cool and nice. His comedy is super honest and genuine. I have not watched much TCGS but I like everything else about him... I might try TCGS sometime... probably not. Too much backlog

I started working through the backlog recently, it can be pretty inconsistent but like others have said it's worth having on in the background.

I also think the first ~10 episodes are interesting enough to watch on their own, it was fun for me to see how they worked out how the show should work.

Also, they had a cult following like 5 weeks in. It's pretty crazy how quickly people responded to it.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I looked through the smilies trying to find one to illustrate my reaction to the Doug Stanhope appearance. I can't find one but this short interview from June 2 is pretty unforgettable. Its not that long, I am curious about others' reactions.

His experience helping his mother commit suicide

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yes that was crazy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Does it differ from his account of the story on his special from a year and change ago? Or when he told it on O&A, et cetera?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Does it differ from his account of the story on his special from a year and change ago? Or when he told it on O&A, et cetera?

No, not really. It's a little more matter of fact, but that's about it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Apoplexy posted:

I could be wrong because memory is a fickle beast, but I think it was slightly different. I haven't read the book, though, so I can't compare to that.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I think in the bit he said his brother or some other relative was with him, and left Bingo out of it ( I may be wrong tho). I also don't think the bit included the morning after part of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

empty baggie posted:

I think in the bit he said his brother or some other relative was with him, and left Bingo out of it ( I may be wrong tho). I also don't think the bit included the morning after part of the story.

Those poor EMTs probably looked at the address, nodded to each other, and said, "We knew it would happen, eventually. I hope Doug is OK."

• Locked thread