Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I hate to be guy who latches onto the one statement, but you couldn't be more wrong, top to bottom, about Louis or Louie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
I agree, in parts with what you said, but this:

Woozy posted:

and his show is a goddamn catastrophe.
is just plain wrong. Louie is about as far from a catastrophe as a show could be.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

I hate to be guy who latches onto the one statement, but you couldn't be more wrong, top to bottom, about Louis or Louie.

I don't hate to be that guy. Louie is a great example of whats wrong with the comedy scene and his show is a catastrophe? You have to be fuckin stupid to think that and consider yourself a fan of comedy

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I totally agree with finding comedians' defensiveness about any criticism of their subject matter or message absolutely insufferable but I think with Maron it's an element of his crotchety middle-aged dude character and so it doesn't grate on me as much.

Louis is one of the few that can fully broach radioactive subject matter and be both funny and revelatory. You can't fault someone for an audience's simplistic misunderstandings of their material, especially when you seem to be understanding it the same way.

But yes generally anyone bemoaning political correctness in 2012 is an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and not the charmingly abrasive kind.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 1, 2012

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Every time a podcast starts going off about PC-culture I just turn it straight off because it's usually a bunch of white dudes deciding what people should be allowed to be offended by(spoiler: it's only things that would offend white people(males))

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
edit - Nevermind. That guy who started this just seems to do that to bring the idiots out of the woodwork.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 1, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Every time a podcast starts going off about PC-culture I just turn it straight off because it's usually a bunch of white dudes deciding what people should be allowed to be offended by(spoiler: it's only things that would offend white people(males))
The annoying thing about Maron is that it clearly depends on whether or not he likes the comedian or not personally to determine whether or not it's an issue worth challenging. Gallagher is on and he spends the whole time trying to attack his act as being insensitive, but then Patrice O'Neal gets a completely free pass on the misogynist parts of his routine.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

kuddles posted:

The annoying thing about Maron is that it clearly depends on whether or not he likes the comedian or not personally to determine whether or not it's an issue worth challenging. Gallagher is on and he spends the whole time trying to attack his act as being insensitive, but then Patrice O'Neal gets a completely free pass on the misogynist parts of his routine.

Yeah that Patrice O'Neal episode was really hard to listen to. The Kamau Bell episode (325) tops it in terms of shear awkwardness though as Marc becomes more and more defensive and venomous using Kamau as a proxy to argue with some guy who sent him an e-mail once.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

kuddles posted:

I think the difference with the Gallagher situation was that he had made himself such an easy target of ridicule, not just with the persona everyone knows or the racist street jokes he was telling, but two interviews --one for an Oregon newspaper and the other for the Onion AV Club-- had painted him as a semi-crazy but definitely an out-of-touch and bitter man. Comedy moved on without him and no one really sympathized with his complaints because his success in the 70s and 80s utterly evaporated and he was blaming everyone else for his perceived lack of respect.

I think people gave Patrice O'Neal a pass because he still had lots of respect with working comics, which I totally disagree with and that interview made me dislike him quite a bit, which was unfortunate because I hadn't heard of him before that interview and he died shortly afterwards.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The difference between Gallagher and Patrice is that Gallagher wouldn't admit he did anything insensitive, while Patrice had a whole lovely worldview behind his material. For Marc, "owning" your statements has integrity.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 1, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Bundt Cake posted:

The difference between Gallagher and Patrice is that Gallagher wouldn't admit he did anything insensitive, while Patrice had a whole lovely worldview behind his material. For Marc, "owning" your statements has integrity.

This, really. If you listen to the Gallagher interview again, the question about offensive jokes should've been, maybe, three minutes of a 90 minute interview. The entire meltdown was solely because he wouldn't own up to it. It wasn't a Mencia situation until it became one.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey, I'm in no way implying that Gallagher didn't completely deserve what he got, or that he's not a bitter old sadsack. I just mean that Maron seems to be wildly inconsistent with his beliefs and attitudes, which I guess isn't exactly that much of a revelation.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

On the whole Louis CK topic, I think that the crux of the issue is that despite his own ability to make hurtful comedy transformative, he lacks the capability to project that talent on to a significant part of his audience. Its the same story over and over again. Its Chris Rock not doing black people vs niggers because of how it was accidentally encouraging white people to be huge hateful assholes. \

As for Marc? He's an unrepentant whatthefucker and I don't know why Pete Holmes hasn't grown out of him yet.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

kuddles posted:

I just mean that Maron seems to be wildly inconsistent with his beliefs and attitudes, which I guess isn't exactly that much of a revelation.

He wasn't internally inconsistent in how he treated the two. I am having a hard time coming up with a better wording of the explanation.

Marc thinks that if you take responsibility for your material, then its different than if you do something mean and refuse to admit that it was mean. In his mind I think that Patrice's views are like cultural differences, because Patrice has thought through his opinions and stands by them. And in something close to Marc's words, Patrice's beliefs are derived from his first-hand experience.

I can't remember what the Gallagher joke was, like he had a bean and smashed it and said lets smash beaners or whatever, but he didn't "take ownership" like Marc always says. It was some crap to get a cheap laugh at a county fair.

I already spent too long doing this. poo poo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

On the whole Louis CK topic, I think that the crux of the issue is that despite his own ability to make hurtful comedy transformative, he lacks the capability to project that talent on to a significant part of his audience. Its the same story over and over again. Its Chris Rock not doing black people vs niggers because of how it was accidentally encouraging white people to be huge hateful assholes. \

As for Marc? He's an unrepentant whatthefucker and I don't know why Pete Holmes hasn't grown out of him yet.

If you avoided doing anything that could possibly be misinterpreted by stupid people then you would run out of ideas pretty quickly

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I thought the last episode with pro wrestler Colt Cabana was awesome.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

I would imagine he was fairly disappointed with the interview anyway since he pointed out how Gilbert stayed in character throughout.

Interestingly, Gilbert's real voice was coming through early on, and he reverted heavily into his character voice as it went on, which was a shame. I don't know that it matters.. I just wanted him to break character.

There were at least one or two episodes of USA Up All Night where Gilbert hosted the show in a completely flat, normal voice. Kinda creeped me out.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

bobservo posted:

There were at least one or two episodes of USA Up All Night where Gilbert hosted the show in a completely flat, normal voice. Kinda creeped me out.

I would (not really) pay money to see that. I have fond memories of him on that show and that makes it sound even more awesome.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
As a huge Dinosaur Jr fan I was really excited about today's interview with J. Mascis. I haven't finished it yet (had to go to work)but I don't think I'd find it at all interesting if I didn't like the band.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews? I feel like they really highlight Maron's weaknesses as an interviewer. He just has so little real knowledge that he resorts to fan boy gushing and guitar talk. It seems like comedy is the only subject he can explore in any depth with his subjects. The one that annoyed me the most was the Carrie Brownstein show. I was really hoping that he'd take the opportunity to talk to her about what it was like to transition from music to a television comedy, instead all he did was ask her about what pickups she liked.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Auritech posted:

I think people gave Patrice O'Neal a pass because he still had lots of respect with working comics, which I totally disagree with and that interview made me dislike him quite a bit, which was unfortunate because I hadn't heard of him before that interview and he died shortly afterwards.

I think people gave Patrice a pass because he was really funny. I loved his interview.

The J Mascis interview was great, he sounded unusually perky to me (by J standards.) All the guitar/gear talk was a good listen.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews? I feel like they really highlight Maron's weaknesses as an interviewer. He just has so little real knowledge that he resorts to fan boy gushing and guitar talk. It seems like comedy is the only subject he can explore in any depth with his subjects. The one that annoyed me the most was the Carrie Brownstein show. I was really hoping that he'd take the opportunity to talk to her about what it was like to transition from music to a television comedy, instead all he did was ask her about what pickups she liked.

I think the only thing that really hurts it for me is the lack of references beyond what he listened to 30 years ago and even that has its advantages. On one hand, the parts where Marc just blindly pokes for influences ('Pixies? 'Before our time. 'Del Fuegos?' 'No, they were more of a bar band.') are kind of laborious from my point of view as a music nerd, but for someone who has no idea who Nick Lowe, J Mascis or Dave Alvin are, it's gotta be helpful.

There's nothing worse than an 'inside-baseball' type of conversation and a podcast that built its reputation on interviews with comedians will most likely elicit that reaction with musician interviews.

Dancing Potato fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2012

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
I like Maron's music interviews, I especially liked the Jack White one, as I learned a lot about the man that I would have otherwise never found out as I am not a fan of his music. In fact, before that interview I had a completely different opinion of him, I though he was too self consciously weird and not genuine. But I've found that that's not the case at all, and he's a rather insightful guy when it comes to music.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jubs posted:

I thought the last episode with pro wrestler Colt Cabana was awesome.
Yeah that was pretty good to hear a discussion between someone who knows the business and someone who has little knowledge of the subject.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

As a huge Dinosaur Jr fan I was really excited about today's interview with J. Mascis. I haven't finished it yet (had to go to work)but I don't think I'd find it at all interesting if I didn't like the band.

I listen to podcasts all day long at my desk, so I rarely skip podcasts because I always need new stuff to listen to, but yeah I usually skip portions of, or just zone out during the music interviews, especially when it's a musician I do not give a poo poo about.

I also liked the Colt Cabana interview a lot (and Colt's podcast, which is basically the indie wrestling version of WTF anyway).

Also I didn't even know we had a podcast subforum until today, how's that for a "WTF"

e: I generally really enjoy live episodes but this week's was not great. I liked Eddie though. I always like Eddie.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The latest episode with Michael Keaton is excellent, really nice bloke.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It's definitely a good one and Keaton seems pretty cool.

My bullshit alarm went off a bit when he took credit for every interesting thing in Beetlejuice+Batman though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The dylan guy was so defensive it kind of ruined the interview. I understand he must get frustrated with people asking about his dad but he really was assuming the worst with marc's questions.

I got bored and turned it off about half way through.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't listened to it yet (I'm behind on WTF and still have to listen to the Keaton one) but Marc's weekly email said that he initially turned the interview down because Jakob's people said that one of the conditions of the interview was not talking about his father. Then they came back and said "okay you can talk about him a little bit" but it seems like he wasn't really okay with it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
It was great I thought. I'm not specifically interested in Bob Dylan's dirt or whatever and like The Wallflowers and music in general so maybe that's why I liked it. One of the best in a while in my opinion.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

jyrka posted:

I'm not specifically interested in Bob Dylan's dirt

Neither was marc, but he reacted to every question that even touched bob as if it was a personal insult. It was pretty awkward and not very entertaining.

Backdoor Mayor
May 14, 2007

I got a package for your mother...

Jippa posted:

Neither was marc, but he reacted to every question that even touched bob as if it was a personal insult. It was pretty awkward and not very entertaining.

That's what happens when the height of your career is a cover of David Bowie for a really mediocre movie.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I don't think it was bad at all. They talked about Bob plenty and he explain why he doesn't care much to talk about him.

I like his general attitude a lot more than someone's who would just plaster "(son of) LEGEND BOB DYLAN" all over their stuff.

jyrka fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 9, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So the AV Club has an article/interview with Marc, and one of the episodes I managed to miss is talked about in great detail.

Not sure if it's files, but if somebody has #190/Todd Hanson, that'd be awesome.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Dave Grohl next Thursday. Something to live for!

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Phone posted:

So the AV Club has an article/interview with Marc, and one of the episodes I managed to miss is talked about in great detail.

Not sure if it's files, but if somebody has #190/Todd Hanson, that'd be awesome.

The full thing's up on youtube, so you could always get it from there, I guess.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

hope they dip into dave grohls weird rear end AIDS denialism

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Stocking posted:

hope they dip into dave grohls weird rear end AIDS denialism

I thought it was actually their bassist's weird rear end AIDS denialism, which the Foos pulled out of?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OGB posted:

I thought it was actually their bassist's weird rear end AIDS denialism, which the Foos pulled out of?

It was. Nate Mendel, who is still with the band, though. I'm pretty sure they issued a mea culpa at some point. Probably when the woman who came up with the conspiracy died of AIDS.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 11, 2013

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I went to see Marc last night and it was so great. I'm considering going again tonight just to see how he changes/responds to a Friday late night crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He is/was playing in my town and they wanted $120 for a ticket.

It sold out, too. :stare:

• Locked thread