Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm considering getting the 1.99 one just to blast through and listen to the ones I missed long ago. I find that if the person on isn't someone I am already interested in then I likely won't enjoy that much. Maron is a good interviewer for sussing out certain things from the person he is interviewing but he can't really make me engaged to a person I have no interest in to begin with.

If I pay 1.99 through the iTunes app/on my phone it is only a one time 30 day thing right? It won't pull some auto renew poo poo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MoPZiG posted:

Yeah it's just one long humble brag with Marc occasionally piping in with awkward questions about the black comic community.

Hmm. I disagree completely. I found it very insightful. For one, he did mention his intent on being a "crossover" comic. And it wasn't really humble bragging. It was being legit. He had a really fast meteoric start that stalled out, but he certainly is killing the stand up game...no brag.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'd say the onus is almost entirely on Maron though. He's the creator, star, and executive producer. Sure the director may have to coax a performance out, but there's only so much he can do...especially given the way the show is built.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

escape artist posted:

When you deal with the hecklers I do at shows, it kind of becomes ingrained in you (I love hecklers, by the way, because I destroy them). It's reflexive, knee-jerk poo poo. You always have to be ready to strike back. I was just "hazed" into a "fraternity" of comics and I'm sort of in that state of mind.

I'm not making excuses, just explaining my thought process. I apologize for coming off as a dick.

Also, I'm a cripple in chronic pain, so add the "constantly mad at the world" aspect and you can understand my disposition. I'm working on the anger and defensive issues, though. So again, I apologize.

What the gently caress are you going on about?!

It's also one thing if a crowd is outwardly hostile immediately but if they aren't laughing its pretty lovely to just "troll" them. There is an audience performer relationship thing going but you should remember your job is still to entertain. Not to make a point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Haha. This is great.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It probably doesn't help that he's pretty loving successful now. He's got his own show in his own name on IFC that's on its 3rd season. He's pretty well known at this point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The Terry Gross interview was fun. I learned a bit about her and it was nice to hear Maron actually challenge a guest but in a playful way.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah its really not as big as people are making it to be.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
There was an amnesty international video where he talks about domestic abuse and just him talking about it makes you want to cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzVUGE3dds

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The martin episode does give you some insight into his loving weirdo head. Which makes me wonder how loving strained and crazy the Stewart/Maron relationship must really be.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Drunkboxer posted:

It's amazing how much terror and awe he induces in so many otherwise smart and headstrong comedians. All because of a show that is fleetingly funny at best. These people with such reverence about SNL and it's so clearly trivial. If anything Lorne should catch more poo poo for allowing that weird elitist culture to form around a silly sketch show.

It's because it still has the ability to put you out there. Even a "failed" stint at SNL raises your profile and can help you to bigger and better.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Every time I've seen fitzsimmons live he's been loving hilarious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

jyrka posted:

Has Marc shown any interest in sketch comedy outside of thinking he should be on the biggest TV show?

I feel like he's shown interest in making GBS threads on it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

life is a joke posted:

I really liked this last episode with Michael Rapaport, because I've always hated the poo poo out of him from a distance and getting some insider stuff from Maron makes me actually like him now. I always assume that anyone with that WATCH OUT I'M FROM NEW YAWWWWK 2REAL AYYYY attitude is someone who is technically from one of the Boroughs but moved to Long Island at the age of 2 and it usually grates one me. But this guy was legit, and Maron softened him up and had him gushing about how polite and helpful all his heroes have been. I still think his acting is a little forced but listening to him talk about how he appreciates the guidance and luck in his career instead of being like I JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS, BROOKLYN STYLE like I always thought he'd be was really awesome. This isn't the first time that's happened from a WTF podcast, Maron has a special touch.

I don't blame you for thinking this of Michael Rapaport prior to this interview, but he's definitely been very open and honest in interviews I've heard with him for many many years. I remember hearing interviews years ago about where he talked about his experience of being on films like Copland and just how he knew he was so lucky and happy to have the career he's had. Also I love that he's a die hard Knicks fan that is utterly delusional (like most Knicks fans) about the teams, but in an endearing and up front way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Marc Maron is furious on twitter at a couple entertainment outlets and news sites that said his show got cancelled. Also he's being a petty dick as usual.

• Locked thread