Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Mescal posted:

I want to see some standup live soon, since that would probably be different. The way the audience and the comic interact would be fun to be a part of. Probably like how going to a show is different from listening to a record.

I know this is from a long time ago, but if you haven't seen stand-up live then you haven't seen stand-up. Paul F. Tompkins firmly believes that they shouldn't have stand-up on TV because it's completely different (and worse in every way). It's very ignorant to say you don't like stand-up comedy but never actually see it

Also I can't loving stand Marc Maron, but I like the occasional interview he does. He's not the worst comedian/interviewer - that's Paul Gilmartin by a mile - but Maron can really come off like a dick. In his Joe Rogan thing he's blaming Joe (and Fear Factor) for like everything that's wrong with American culture and it just comes off as arrogant liberal elitism. Like, the kind Bill O'Reilly is always harping on about. His conversation with Garofalo on politics is similarly unlistenable.

But then he'll do some great stuff like the Mike DiStefano show.

Oh, and also, see how many of your favourite comedians Maron claims to have a rocky past with. Paul F. Tompkins, Patton Oswalt, a bunch of others.

So enter at your own risk, but there's nobody like Marc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah, definitely, but listen again and count how many times he misinterprets what a guest was saying or misunderstands something or loses his place. It's incredibly frustrating

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah, that's the one I first noticed it in and couldn't un-hear it.

But this is about Marc Maron. Who's the Onion writer who he interviewed in...an important hotel in the guy's life? Because that interview was soul-changing

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Now, this is the problem with this sort of thing. Leary undeniably lifted the genesis of that bit from Louis CK - but did louis set it to music and add all the other examples? Well, no. It's theft, yeah, but comedy (and many other performance acts) thrive on copying and invention. Obviously somebody like Carlos Mencia is to be shunned, but there's a huge grey area there.

But yeah, Denis Leary does owe a hell of a lot to Bill Hicks. But then Leary was always more of a straight-up joke teller than Hicks was late in his career.

Actually, two law professors sat down and studied this from a copyright perspective. Here's an awesome radio story about it: http://www.onthemedia.org/2010/apr/09/take-my-joke-please/

e:(If you hate listening the transcript is here: http://www.onthemedia.org/2010/apr/09/take-my-joke-please/transcript/)

2e: If you hate listening, why are you in this subforum?

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 19, 2012

• Locked thread