Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

picosecond posted:

Dude was an alcoholic narcissist and drug abuser for over a decade, that tends to make you a lot of enemies. He started the podcast because even though he was a fairly well-known comedian and broadcaster, he'd burned so many bridges over the years that he just could not find work anywhere.

I think that's part of what makes Maron so interesting -- he seems like he should have been found dead in an alley somewhere by now. Instead, he's spent the last few years climbing out of the hole he dug, slowly picking up the pieces of his life while carving out a niche for himself. It's weirdly inspiring.

This, but I'd also add that since he was an rear end in a top hat for so many years, he still has a lot of rear end in a top hat tendencies. You can't change your whole personality overnight. So while I believe he's sincere about trying to make a positive change in his life, and he's making an honest effort to be a better person, he still has a lot of those rear end in a top hat habits that can make him come off as a dick from time to time. I suspect it makes him irritating as hell to comics who remember his past and aren't inclined to feel all that charitable towards him.

I get the same feeling listening to Jay Mohr's podcast.

And if it makes Bundt Cake feel better, I do like Marc Maron (and Jay Mohr).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I'd also like to see him interview Dan Whitney AKA Larry The Cable Guy. I hate Larry, but hopefully it would be either an angry walk-off like Gallagher, or an insightful look at the art of comedy from an unlikely source (actually, I'd like to see Maron interview Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White as well. It would be interesting to hear what they have in common with Marc and what they don't.)

I'm not into his comedy, but I think he's a lot smarter than he lets on and he knows exactly what he's doing. A real honest interview with him out of character could be fascinating, though I don't know if Marc could get one out of him. He's pretty much locked into the character he got famous for doing and if he ever wanted to change his schtick... well, he couldn't do that, could he? What's that gotta feel like? Then again, he got filthy rich with that schtick, so maybe it feels great.

I agree that Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White would also be interesting for various reasons. Bill Engvall, not so much, because I've never gotten the impression that there's anything interesting about Bill Engvall.

Jeff Dunham is another one that could be interesting. His act is so drat racist.

• Locked thread