Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Another pretty good and drat interesting episode is the 170th episode with Andy Dick . From tales of living in a shed behind the house of the mother of one of his children, to delving into Andy's side of the Phil Hartman/John Lovitz drama, this is definitely worth a listen.

That episode actually had me believing that Dick had gotten back on track and was as sober and focused as he said he was. A week or two later he humped some strangers in line at a McDonald's or rubbed his dick on a dog or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

bbf2 posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like he sometimes will latch onto certain things and emphasize them/insist his own interpretation.

One more minor example that kind of annoyed me for some reason was when he asked Charlie Day and Glenn Howerton about their childhood/teens and at some point he asked them if they liked the Grateful Dead, and their response was basically "Yeah, I liked them pretty well." Then for the rest of the interview he would constantly call them deadheads (e.g. "So me and Charlie went into an audition..." "A COUPLE OF DEADHEADS, GOING TO AN AUDITION!") and say that they were Deadheads whenever they talked about their past at all.

The Dead seems to be one of the things he finds easiest to bond over, for some reason.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Interesting tidbit from that interview (unless its been mentioned before): Marc's current gf works 'in the field of psychology.' Not horribly surprised, but interesting nonetheless.

She works with troubled kids, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned this before but it might have been on a different show.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Auritech posted:

The audiobook of I Drink For A Reason is fun because he constantly excoriates the listener for buying the audiobook instead of the actual book, and then at some point he lets a band he likes play a song.

Not just that, the song is a musical version of a long comedy list from the book played by Les Savy Fav. It seriously lasts almost ten minutes. There's also a part where another comedian barges in (I wish I could remember who it was, I haven't listened to it in a couple of years - maybe Zach Galifianakis?) and starts reading the text instead of Cross, leading to an argument.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Thread's moved on, but Marc and Fiona apparently knew each other before, so the conversation flowed pretty smoothly. Not surprisingly, Marc stumbled into a trigger (Fiona was sexually assaulted at 13), but he had enough sense not to press it.

I would compare it to the Joel McHale interview: pleasant and revealing if you like the celebrity, but nothing inherently fascinating if you're not already on board.

Marc and Fiona knew each other before because Fiona Apple is a fan of WTF and emailed him out of the blue and they text each other about bugs, which is probably the most mindboggling thing to come out of WTF in months.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

thecopsarehere posted:

My take is that Marc is a bitter, jealous, rear end in a top hat but when he's able to takes a step back he's self-aware enough to realize and admit as much. But that doesn't mean he can prevent himself from falling back into that mindset and coming across as a resentful rear end in a top hat to guests and especially people who he's dealt with or already formed an (perhaps baseless) opinion about. It's just the way he is and I think that's part of his "charm".

He's getting softer by the minute, too. It would be interesting for him to have some of the guests from his rage-filled beginnings on again, I feel like he has mellowed out a ton in the last few months.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews? I feel like they really highlight Maron's weaknesses as an interviewer. He just has so little real knowledge that he resorts to fan boy gushing and guitar talk. It seems like comedy is the only subject he can explore in any depth with his subjects. The one that annoyed me the most was the Carrie Brownstein show. I was really hoping that he'd take the opportunity to talk to her about what it was like to transition from music to a television comedy, instead all he did was ask her about what pickups she liked.

I think the only thing that really hurts it for me is the lack of references beyond what he listened to 30 years ago and even that has its advantages. On one hand, the parts where Marc just blindly pokes for influences ('Pixies? 'Before our time. 'Del Fuegos?' 'No, they were more of a bar band.') are kind of laborious from my point of view as a music nerd, but for someone who has no idea who Nick Lowe, J Mascis or Dave Alvin are, it's gotta be helpful.

There's nothing worse than an 'inside-baseball' type of conversation and a podcast that built its reputation on interviews with comedians will most likely elicit that reaction with musician interviews.

Dancing Potato fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2012

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

They go on for a while about Sound City it's magic soundboard or whatever since Dave's made a movie about it recently. It's all pretty interesting though, I think. Then they mostly just talk about Dave's musical influences I guess.

And he brings up his mystical Kay (K?) guitar in the intro this time.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Not that this conversation is in any necessary, but he's always been upfront that his marriages ended because of explosive anger issues. I don't think he's ever talked about infidelity, and he's not exactly one to sugarcoat his demons.

He did a story on an episode of Risk! about cheating on his first wife (or maybe it was just a girlfriend, but it was in New York and he was not sober yet) with a middle-aged hooker while she was away on a trip.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I did not expect Hank Azaria to basically be a richer, buffer Marc Maron.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Maron's new book came in the mail today, although I haven't started reading it yet. Anybody else pick it up?

I got it last night and have been reading it whenever not sleeping (which, so far, has been a disappointingly small percentage of the time I've had the book).

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Ariza posted:

It's ok but kinda boring. They're friendly and it's weird cause Schneider uses non-swears (freaking?) which always creeps me out. Other than that it was interesting enough to listen to while driving though it won't do anything to change your life.

Also Rob Schneider definitely seems at peace with being Rob Schneider - I expected him to be a little more delusional, honestly, so that's good.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

jyrka posted:

Anyway, has anyone else noticed how bad of an actor Marc is? I just watched the latest episode and he's really wooden and monotone. Sounds almost like he's reading the lines or something.

He does seem pretty cognizant of this, though; he's been saying for months that he should probably take acting lessons and that he doesn't consider himself an actor.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Even though I've never been a huge Cheech & Chong fan, I learned a lot more than I expected from that interview. A lot of the bigger gets do kind of a generic career overview interview where a lot of the stories are familiar to me, but this one was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Has he ever met Marc? I'm curious if there's going to be any baggage going in, as that always makes the best kind of interview where Marc has to start off with 5 minutes of apologizing for being a dick.

I've met him. He was cranky but still kinda nice and basically exactly the way you would imagine him to be.

• Locked thread