Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm a big softie so that intro + the news broke my heart a little. The Coffee plug was priceless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Analytic Engine posted:

Marc did a kind of reverse-WTF episode with aspiring comedian Danny Lobell:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/modern-day-philosophers-danny/id684158414

They use Spinoza and Hillel as a starting point and go in a lot of interesting directions. Marc sounds less bitter, but still jaded!

(fun fact: this is the first time Marc has sat in his own guest chair and given his host seat away)

I saw this on twitter the other day and gave this podcast a try since I love hearing Marc's super intellectual wankfest WTF episodes. I gotta say Lobell seems like a funny guy but he really didn't do it for me here. At all. Marc delivers though, and i'd recommend the whole episode just to hear him.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Well, I guess I know where the somethingawful hivemind stands on maron now.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I thought it was an interesting episode. I was happy to hear the Odenkirk and Hansen clips because I specifically remember those bits resonating with me before. The Brill interview was sort of painful. It gave me the same impression as when he had Morgan Murphy on (makes amends with someone he has a rocky past with, but still manages to come off as too self-serving).

That phone call with his dad was a great way to end it, though.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I'm kinda with you on that. I went through a phase where I really identified with and appreciated his struggles but now I'm not so much interested as slightly annoyed. I don't know if that's because his act has gone stale or my tastes have moved on. Probably the tipping point for me was ep. 500. It felt wrong to hear that whole conversation with his dad. Opportunistic like. I think at best he is a sorta-repentant narcissist. I root for him though and I hope he continues to book interesting guests ( Really dug the Kim Gordon interview).

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Loved it. The president is intelligent, sensible, sly, "whole" i guess would be the word. I felt like he really laid it on the table and I walked away from it feeling proud of my president. A little talking point-y but he's the freaking president and this is a comedy podcast. This was obviously not going to be Frost/Nixon.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

He's a much better interviewer now but the older episodes (pre-tv show seems to be the cutoff) were always entertaining and insightful. Newer episodes are mostly just interesting.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Yeah that interview really made me want to watch The French Connection and Sorcerer. The Exorcist is a movie I make people watch when they say they're only peripherally culturally aware of it or whatever. They're always blindsided by the quality of it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Hearing Todd Rundgren say that XTC haven't done anything after Skylarking broke my nerdy little heart.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Enjoyed the ep but julia def sounded peeved the whole episode. In a polite and cordial way though

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked the Louie Anderson interview a lot, but I wish he had gotten into his personal life a little bit. I'm interested in the whole Family Feud firing fiasco and whatnot.

He goes into a bit more detail in his Fresh Air interview. I recommend checking that out.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Man, when he was combative or neurotic with guests it made for great listening. Oh well, I guess as far as wild men who do podcast interview shows there's, what, Joe Rogan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

That's sort of heartbreaking. What does losing the garage do for the listening experience of this podcast except diminish it?

• Locked thread