Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Looking forward to the Loren Bouchard episode since I love Dr. Katz and probably only know of Marc through that show. It occurs to me that WTF is basically the "real" version of that show in that comedians actually talk about their lives instead of mostly doing their bits. He needs to get Jonathan Katz on, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

My take is that Marc is a bitter, jealous, rear end in a top hat but when he's able to takes a step back he's self-aware enough to realize and admit as much. But that doesn't mean he can prevent himself from falling back into that mindset and coming across as a resentful rear end in a top hat to guests and especially people who he's dealt with or already formed an (perhaps baseless) opinion about. It's just the way he is and I think that's part of his "charm".

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

Gottfried is disappointed that comedians (and society) can't lean on casual racism anymore, and Marc seems to agree a little beyond "oh racist grandpa!"

I believe they were lamenting an oversensitivity amongst the media/general public regarding jokes that involve racial stereotypes and other such "insensitive" jokes. I personally think there is a distinction between racist jokes and jokes that involve racial stereotypes, which ultimately comes down to intent (see: Don Rickles). I did not notice them defending actual racism.

This sensitivity is especially problematic when such jokes can be taken out of context and then easily misconstrued as racist when that was not the intent of the speaker at all. In the interview, for example, Gottfried said that his tsunami joke was never actually called a joke but, rather, commentary. You may believe he is racist, but it's hard to judge such things out of context and it's an odd double standard that reporters can widely publicize supposedly racist speech and not only not face retribution (like Gottfried did) but actually profit from it.

Also, yeah, Gottfried laughed way too much/too long at things that weren't that funny.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

GraPar posted:

I'm biased due to being a huuuuge Mountain Goats fan but today's interview with John Darnielle was very good. Listen if you would like to hear an intelligent, funny man eloquently discuss his heavily troubled youth.

I'll second this as a total non-fan.

• Locked thread