Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Could someone say when it gets better? I tapped out pretty hard about ten minutes into the interview (twenty into the episode), but would like to go back. Not to make it a "thing," but I've really enjoyed Marc's efforts to bring black comics on the show: Kevin Hart and Donnell Rawlings were two of the better interviews about comedy (versus biography) I heard recently.

Speaking of "biography" - Marc Maron vs. Fiona Apple. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Don't think you were necessarily supposed to laugh. She's not a comedian.

You kinda have to buy into the whole Fiona "thing" to get into the interview, but I think it was pretty great to hear her talk in this long form format. The OCD discussion explains A LOT, though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

kuddles posted:

She's probably as messed up relationship-wise as Marc is (at least going by her lyrics) so they might have found common ground there.

But she also tends to be incredibly serious all the time so it might have turned out to be really boring. Also, she has a history of being extremely cold or confrontational if she feels someone isn't being genuine with her. If Marc had one of those interviews where he was incredibly fawning and asking inane questions or conversely tried to play armchair psychologist and hammer on about one moment in her life, I could see things go downhill really fast.

Thread's moved on, but Marc and Fiona apparently knew each other before, so the conversation flowed pretty smoothly. Not surprisingly, Marc stumbled into a trigger (Fiona was sexually assaulted at 13), but he had enough sense not to press it.

I would compare it to the Joel McHale interview: pleasant and revealing if you like the celebrity, but nothing inherently fascinating if you're not already on board.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jippa posted:

What is a 'street joke'? Racist/sexist?

Basically the kinda joke you would hear on the street . . . the jokes your funny friend tells. It's used to denigrate "easy laugh" jokes that don't come from a particular voice or personality.

EDIT: Think Jackie Martling.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Legitimately stoked that Kerri Kinney's dad was Lion-O. :childoftheeighties:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Jimmy Walker interview is pretty ace. Man's long past giving a gently caress, so the stories are terrific.

EDIT: It also sounds like Marc's starting to lose hope on Boomer. :smith:

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 26, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Happy Hippo posted:

The Jimmie Walker interview was great but it sucks that Maron cut the interview short. Walker was in dish mode but Maron had to "be somewhere" so he abruptly just shut down the interview with no wind-down.

I don't know if Maron has his interviews edited, but the interview was 90+ minutes as aired. It was fascinating, but the man's got other things to do with day.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I hate to be guy who latches onto the one statement, but you couldn't be more wrong, top to bottom, about Louis or Louie.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Bundt Cake posted:

The difference between Gallagher and Patrice is that Gallagher wouldn't admit he did anything insensitive, while Patrice had a whole lovely worldview behind his material. For Marc, "owning" your statements has integrity.

This, really. If you listen to the Gallagher interview again, the question about offensive jokes should've been, maybe, three minutes of a 90 minute interview. The entire meltdown was solely because he wouldn't own up to it. It wasn't a Mencia situation until it became one.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Berzerker posted:

Just caught up on Carl and oh man, it was great. "Maybe 85" is the greatest punchline to a non-joke, I love it.

Kinda surprised there wasn't more response to Tom Green appearing on the show. Guess there's not much overlap between RGD posters and :goon: participants.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jippa posted:

It's weird, after really enjoying the mel brooks cast, I didn't think reiners was as good. He seemed to be a lot more on auto pilot.

I didn't finish the Carl interview. It was a pleasant conversation, but not much more was coming out of it than that.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

escape artist posted:

Just for perspective, I'm fairly certain that Marc has already been divorced twice.

Not that this conversation is in any necessary, but he's always been upfront that his marriages ended because of explosive anger issues. I don't think he's ever talked about infidelity, and he's not exactly one to sugarcoat his demons.

In better news, Marc appears in the new Funny or Die video for the Postal Service auditions. Take the advice I followed: don't read the cast list before you watch (sorry for the spoiler, I guess).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Probably not surprising, but man does Mitch Hedberg's wife widow sound a mess.

Also, holy poo poo guys - - what happens if "Maron" bombs? What happens if it does well? I don't know if there's a good outcome available for this. :ohdear:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Listening to the live show. This John Nash guy really wishes he were Eddie Pepitone.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The former Real World cast member (!) was actually hilarious. Marc kept her on for awhile, cause she had to leave right after get segment. I stopped listening at JASON Nash. However long he's been around, he's filling the Pepitone role (or at least opened in that vein), and I decided I wasn't interested.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Could someone who's better at Twitter parse out the current Marc Maron meltdown? Looks like he and Patton Oswalt are mixing it up. Could be a bit, but there's a whole lot of "overrated" and not a whole lot of funny going on.

EDIT: I'm a full-on jackass. And not good at Twitter.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Maron's monologue yesterday was pretty great. It's fun to listen to him rant when he has a wall to throw himself against, instead of listening to him work in "angry Prairie Home Companion" mode.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Marc and Moon broke up :/

It sounded like that was coming from the Judy Greer interview. He mentioned something about them being apart in a way that seemed ominous.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Actually, as might be expected,that perfect appearance is the result of intense self-control and functional OCD. She kinda has a laughing breakdown near the end after Marc hits it on the nose one too many times (man likes to dig once he spots the any sign of emotional issues). Not essential, but definitely not a dull episode.

I actually skipped this most recent one, but it sounds like it might be worth checking out.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Pryor on Fire posted:

The only episode in like the past year or more that really left an impression on me was the RuPaul one, is this show getting more bland and boring or am I crazy?

As he moves away from only interviewing comedians, you're probably going to see fewer interviews that are "funny" and more interviews that are "revealing" or in-depth. I thought the episode where Josh Homme admitted to almost dying from a drug-related infection was one of those. I feel Maron really connected with the woman who writes the webcomic about depression, and got her to talk about her sister's (very) recent suicide. The Mulaney episode was a psychological survey of a guy on the immediate cusp of what he has to know might be a career-killing failure. I don't think any one had awesome quotes, but they were definitely interesting to listen to.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think the circumstances are a little different than an ensemble actor on a cancelled show (see Adam Pally). Mulaney was his show, under his name, and it started with a history of troubled production (getting quashed by NBC, before being picked up by Fox). It failed too big and too publicly to be forgotten, and it failed both commercially and critically (brilliant but cancelled usually buys you some goodwill, which this didn't get). He doesn't have a record of success to rely on, which you often see with veterans who get chance after chance because they have name recognition. It's not even as though he developed a reputation as a strong performer in an otherwise bad show.

I'm sure he'll continue to make a name for himself in stand up and will be "fine" as far as his general career, but he already said that he probably couldn't go back to SNL, and the level of fail associated with the show probably means we won't be seeing much of him on scripted television in the future.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So for those who read the names before they download the episode, don't pass up the Melissa Etheridge episode. Spoiler alert - she tries to gift Marc some weed within the first ten minutes of the interview.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It sounds like Obama will be in the garage, but I wouldn't expect a grilling. A cowed Maron can be just as fun as one on the attack, though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Maron says there were no (explicit) restrictions, and that he has final cut on the interview:

http://www.avclub.com/article/marc-maron-talked-obama-about-racism-disappointmen-221130

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

rest his guts posted:

For an even worse interview with an even more arrogant pseudo-intellectual, please see the interview with Father John Misty. He uses the word erudite to describe himself, unironically

There's your first mistake. Everything about FJM is done ironically.

• Locked thread