Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I decided to buy a 30 subscription to WTF's archive so I can hear the Gallagher interview in full. I do agree that Marc came off a bit bad when they started talking about his racial jokes. It's a shame though that Gallagher left when he did because I was more interested in him talking about how comics who talk about their personal life on stage or can't work a more general audience aren't real comics, just people using a stage as therapy. He's wrong, but it's an actual discussion I wanted to hear more of.

It became clear he was off his rocker when he said, "yeah, he's but they'll never work a state fair" without a touch of irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jippa posted:

Billy Connolly is awesome.

Somehow, I had it in my mind that it was Billy Crystal and it was breaking my brain.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For anyone interested, Marc was on Kevin Pereira's podcast, Pointless, this week. I really enjoyed it, but I really enjoy Kevin and I know some people find him irritating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Bret Easton Ellis tweeted that he's driving to the cat ranch today. That episode should be really great.

Maron just did his podcast last month. I've never listened to any of them (just subscribed today), but I saw Doug Stanhope and Marc Maron within the last few episodes, so I'm going to give it a shot.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I recommend the one with Adam Carolla. Two very different guys but they manage to agree on basically everything they talk about.

Warning, BEE loves the sound of his own voice. Sometimes I wish he's just not have guests on.

What if I don't really like Adam Carolla for absolutely no reason? I've listened to a handful of his podcast and, while I respect him, I just can't seem to get into it.

I know what you mean there. My friend has a podcast that typically end in him talking over the guest or droning on while they sit there...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really dug the Billy Gibbons episode.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Robin Williams episode is being re-uploaded within the hour by Marc :/

I'm glad. I bought a month long membership and churned through a ton, including this one, but I was hoping Marc would upload it for anyone that didn't get to hear it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I haven't listened to any of her podcast appearances, but I got to hang out with Ms. Pat in the green room when she was headlining my local comedy club. I don't love her comedy (she's good at what she does, it's just not style), but she's super nice and has a ton of stories.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Who was the webcomic woman? Also, if (haha, when) Mulaney gets axed, John Mulaney will still be a killer stand-up and will be fine.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TJ's stand-up is funny, but listening to him riff is fantastic. He was one of the headliners at a comedy festival that I helped out at, so I saw him do four or five sets over four days and seeing how he would weave in and out of material in different ways each time was truly impressive.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If I recall correctly, TJ wasn't tweeting the jokes Dane was working on. That's a move that almost no professional comedian would pull on a fellow comic, no matter how mad they were, if for no other reason than it having a huge amount of blowback, regardless of who was "right". He was tweeting about Dane bumping people and doing, like, two hours of rambling, aggressive material that was making the crowd uncomfortable. TJ understood getting bumped because it's Dane's home club and he's earned the right to just walk on. It was Dane going so long, making the show unsalvageable for anyone who had to follow, and making it questionable if there would even still be an audience left. Dane even talked about it a little on Rogan's podcast about how he was in a weird place that night and was working through it on stage.

Again, this is just how I remember it and I could be wrong. Not saying this means anything or lends me any sort of credibility, but I listened to this being discussed from the point of view of someone who does a lot of open mics and I couldn't help but agree with TJ. That said, he absolutely handled it wrong by airing his grievances publicly.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm 45min into the episode and Obama has said "Muslim" and "friend of the family", so I look forward to Fox News stripping the context out and just looping those two words for an hour.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Just google 'marc maron obama' and the takeaway from most news outlets is the use of 'friend of the family'. Also CNN is calling WTF a "radio program"

Haha, you're right. Must have needed to distract from using the M-word and exposing his true self.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I was excited when I saw the tweet saying she was yesterday's guest. Was a solid episode.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Saw Maron do stand-up Saturday night. Was good poo poo.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You can see it here:
https://youtu.be/VO7AW1lTAO0

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Or FJM has no idea what irony is and is just an insincere, tedious dickhead.

I like his music, so :shrug:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I like listening to these old episodes, and hadn't noticed the Mike Myers one, so that was nice. I'm listening to the old Gallagher episode, and holy gently caress is Gallagher just a bitter, unpleasant old gently caress. Screw him.

Haha, oh, you're in for a treat

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My favorite part of the Gallagher episode was him saying that comedians are bitter that he gets to work state fairs and they don't.

Also, this feels obvious, but listen to the Robin Williams episodes. Even if you've heard it. Just listen again.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

The Doug Loves Movies with Maron and Kumail Nanjiani turned into one long joking-but-are-they-really-joking fight between the two of them. Highly recommended.

Seconding this recommendation. That episode was a treat.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've been saving the Lemmy interview and I'm not sure if now is the best or the worst time to listen to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Does it differ from his account of the story on his special from a year and change ago? Or when he told it on O&A, et cetera?

No, not really. It's a little more matter of fact, but that's about it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've got the Eric Andre episode queued up for tomorrow. Any episode notes that start, "(guest) and Marc did not like each other" is a must listen.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ariza posted:

Even if you have no idea who Geoff Tate is, the interview is pretty interesting. They seem to bond over having horrible narcissistic fathers and I find Tate's gruff trucker voice and odd cadence very soothing.

Geoff Tate is also a very funny comic (and a super nice dude from my single interaction with him). If you enjoyed him, he's a regular guest on Doug Loves Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Mitzi Shore died.

I didn't expect this news to bum me out, but it did.

• Locked thread