Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to this podcast for months now and one of the things I both love and hate about Marc as an interviewer is how transparent he is about the amount of respect he has for his guest. Sometimes in blatant ways, like when a comedian is a young jock-ish type guy and Marc feels the guy doesn't belong among the group of misfits he sees comedians as being, and he openly insults or gives constant backhanded compliments to the guy. On the other side are guests Marc clearly has a lot of respect for -- there have been interviews (Bob Odenkirk comes to mind) where Marc hardly says a word and the guest just monologues at length.

Then there are times like in this interview with Craig Ferguson, where Marc cannot go 10 seconds without interrupting or talking over him. It's annoying. It reads to me as a lack of respect, which doesn't seem like it could be possible given Craig's general good nature, his shared substance abuse problems, and his long career as a comedian. I don't want to read too deeply into it, but I do wish Marc would have shut up and just let Craig talk since he's interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Marc opened today's interview with Ryan Stout with a story about his girlfriend begging him to have a baby, Marc yelling at her about how she can't even clean up after herself let alone a baby, girlfriend cleans the house and asks him if she had passed "the baby test"...

:stare:

Is this the same woman who stalked her way into a relationship with him?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it a joke, or is it a "watch in real time as a man makes a terrible life decision"?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do any of you listen to the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast? I see that Marc did episode 2, and the general theme is "how people in arts & entertainment deal with their baggage," which is what the main draw of WTF is for me, but I'm at work with no headphones so I can't listen right now. :v: If you do listen, how is it and how's the host?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That is one giant bullet he dodged.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lou Barlow as in Sebadoh and The Folk Implosion?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of the best live shows I've ever attended was a Lou Barlow solo show (supposed to be a Folk Implosion show, but the other guy never showed up) in 1999 or 2000. It was just Lou, an acoustic guitar, and a sampler/drum machine in a small club in Philly. He played an acoustic cover of Foreigner's "Cold as Ice" that made it into the most poignant breakup song ever.

I haven't been listening to WTF in a while because I kind of got tired of Marc, but I'll definitely have to give this one a listen. Meth, for real?! Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my surprise was due to the personality of the musician in question, not the fact that some musician somewhere used meth.

What other recent WTF episodes are must-listen? I need to catch up.

• Locked thread