Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Blackula69 posted:

Oh yeah, definitely, but listen again and count how many times he misinterprets what a guest was saying or misunderstands something or loses his place. It's incredibly frustrating

I really noticed this in his interview with Kulap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

drat... The Gilbert Gottfried episode made me lose some respect for Maron. Hard to listen to at some points.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Gottfried is disappointed that comedians (and society) can't lean on casual racism anymore, and Marc seems to agree a little beyond "oh racist grandpa!"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

thecopsarehere posted:

I believe they were lamenting an oversensitivity amongst the media/general public regarding jokes that involve racial stereotypes and other such "insensitive" jokes. I personally think there is a distinction between racist jokes and jokes that involve racial stereotypes, which ultimately comes down to intent (see: Don Rickles). I did not notice them defending actual racism.

This sensitivity is especially problematic when such jokes can be taken out of context and then easily misconstrued as racist when that was not the intent of the speaker at all. In the interview, for example, Gottfried said that his tsunami joke was never actually called a joke but, rather, commentary. You may believe he is racist, but it's hard to judge such things out of context and it's an odd double standard that reporters can widely publicize supposedly racist speech and not only not face retribution (like Gottfried did) but actually profit from it.

Also, yeah, Gottfried laughed way too much/too long at things that weren't that funny.

First off, I agree with you and Marc and Gottfried that journalism is pretty screwed up in what they can profit from while judging others. I'm casting stones myself, but since I doubt anyone will respect me or pay me money off of this post I don't care about coming off a little hypocritical (on the the Something Awful comedy forums).

I don't think Gottfried & Marc are racist themselves, but they don't seem to mind entertaining bigoted assholes in their profession and social community. The "racist grandpa" comment is probably too harsh, but I meant it as that kind of "oh that's just how he is" dismissal of really sick and destructive attitudes that enables them to continue though history.

You're right that comedians shouldn't be judged by parts of their comedy routines taken out of context, but that's because context can justify why they needed to say something otherwise socially unacceptable. If their context starts and ends at "it's an easy joke to deliver and it makes some audience members laugh" then why the hell shouldn't they be called out on perpetuating racism/sexism/homophobia/dwarf jokes/rape jokes/etc.?

Hopefully we can move past that poo poo as a society, but if they just throw it around without satirising or subverting it in a funny way then they're part of the problem. Everyone has different values and morals, and comedy isn't politics or debate, so I can't fault any given audience member for laughing or not getting up on a soapbox and grinding the performance to a halt just because they were offended. But the comedian made a choice to be in the situation and will often change how people think (at least subconsciously). Leaning on lazy self-perpetuating jokes like the Rickles/broom bit should be the mark of a hack, not a lovable quirk of comedians that just happen to be born in another time or community.

I felt an "I'll humor this guy since he's put in his dues" vibe from Marc, but his defining characteristic is cutting out tact and pacing to get right to the meat of an interview, so I'm probably just projecting a lot onto two guys discussing comedy and hardware stores. Good interview up until that poo poo, though.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

I would imagine he was fairly disappointed with the interview anyway since he pointed out how Gilbert stayed in character throughout.

Interestingly, Gilbert's real voice was coming through early on, and he reverted heavily into his character voice as it went on, which was a shame. I don't know that it matters.. I just wanted him to break character.

Were you blown away by his Seinfeld too? It's not a perfect imitation, but drat is it a 180 from the Gilbert character voice.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

escape artist posted:

Generally, I just lean on the microphone stand (as I would my cane) and have some painkillers and drinks before a show.

Go with the pills or the booze, but not both. You'll destroy your liver pretty fast with that combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Marc did a kind of reverse-WTF episode with aspiring comedian Danny Lobell:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/modern-day-philosophers-danny/id684158414

They use Spinoza and Hillel as a starting point and go in a lot of interesting directions. Marc sounds less bitter, but still jaded!

(fun fact: this is the first time Marc has sat in his own guest chair and given his host seat away)

• Locked thread