Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I just listened to the Rainn Wilson episode, and it was pretty enjoyable. Thought it was funny when Rainn said something about seeing a mongoloid eating a cheeseburger in the airport. The last person I knew who thought "mongoloid" was an inoffensive term was my grandfather, and he's been dead for some time now.

Good interview though, a lot better than I'd thought it would have been. The aborted USA network pilot sounded interesting, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

temple posted:

I like WTF. Listened to just about all of them. I get tired of him talking about his career but his insights are cool. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable and great when I'm working. I don't get the obsession with him though.

He's a neurotic, solipsistic, self-destructive loving mess, and only slightly moreso than I am. I find him incredibly engaging, and I relate to him and his problems very, very well. That's why I like him, as I imagine a great many whirling dervishes of stunted psychological development do. I was knocked out to hear him talk about his inability to understand healthy competition because I'd never really heard someone discuss it in a way that I could relate to so thoroughly before.

He's not mentally ill, but he's got so much scarring and faulty wiring that it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. Hearing someone realize, understand, and spend so much energy attempting to correct their problems makes me happy. It helps me understand that there are people like me who work hard to be a better person, and fall short every now and then.

And he manages to be all of that all the while being really loving funny. I don't see him as some kind of guru or anything, but hearing him struggle with trying to be a decent, happy human being, and starting to come into his own after so much unbelievable self-inlicted failure is pretty remarkable.

To tack a really asinine metaphor to it, I'm a bit of a Charlie-in-the-Box, and he's like the King of the Island of Misfit Toys.

That might not be the answer you were looking for, but that's why I'm such big fan of his, anyway.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

manyak posted:

A better question is: why would you like Denis leary

You're 17 years old and it's 1994. That was my excuse, anyway. I thought Rescue Me was pretty decent, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Now, if only we could get Dennis Miller back. He was loving great back during the 90s and his HBO late-night show and poo poo.

I like to think that in Fringe's B universe, where 9-11 never happened, Phil Hendrie and Dennis Miller never stopped being funny.

Phil's show after 9-11 was absolutely bizarre for a lot of reasons. The obvious was just how angry he was after the attacks, and he would take an hour or two out of his show every night yelling at callers about the Iraq war and spewing a lot of really egregious "towel head" poo poo.

When he did his actual schtick, I really think his anger inspired him and he did some of the funniest, edgiest stuff he'd ever done. Part of what makes Phil such an amazing performer is that he had no qualms about mocking even his own deeply held beliefs. He took a lot of potshots at the pussy liberal agenda, but he was especially funny when he was picking apart the hawks and loving with the angry, pro-war callers. I don't think he ever got his callers angrier until he came up with his "reformed pedophile" character.

Unfortunately, he sabotaged so many amazing bits during that era because he was so frustrated by how his career was turning out. He'd get a caller whipped up into a fury and then abruptly kill the bit and go into a five minute diatribe about how he was in fact doing all the voices and suckering the callers because he's just so goddamn brilliant and hey how come I don't have a movie/television career this is so UNFAIR.

Phil's always been his very worst enemy for a multitude of reasons (the guy is legit nuts), but there is no denying that he is one of the greatest perfomers in the audio realm. If any of you guys haven't heard his show, do yourself a favor and pony up for a month of his subscription service and take a listen. He's one of a kind.

So, uh, that's my essay about Phil Hendrie.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beeez posted:

Are any of these classic bits on Youtube?

Going back to Phil being his own worst enemy: no. He's a complete cock about giving away his material, HIS MATERIAL!, for free. He does not understand how much good putting some of his really amazing stuff on YouTube would do for his subscription service. I was hoping against hope that I could find a link to "PLANE GO BOOM", a fantastic post 9-11 bit where a guy tries to train mentally retarded people to scan people's luggage for weapons, but the best I could find was an interview he did with John McCain. Or "All You Can Eat Negro" or his Herb Sewell bit where a reformed pedophile saves a child's life and he wants to take him to Disneyland as a reward. He has absolutely no clue as to how to use the internet to his advantage. He's like an angry Bill Larson.

I keep meaning to get off my rear end and make a good OP a Phil Hendrie thread, but, y'know, I'm a busy guy. When I finally get to it, I'll try to post a couple clips. For as much as a dickhead he can be, he's an incredibly talented guy.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 2, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

Dear goons,

how do I type "Phil Hendrie" into youtube? tia

Sorry to double post, but he and his wife are real bastards about pulling poo poo off of YouTube.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing I'll always be grateful to Dennis Miller for is that when I was watching him at 12-13 years old, his material and show encouraged me to follow politics, which I think is fairly important. And Dennis has a better reason than some for turning right-wing post 9/11 (he lost a friend in the attack, IIRC), although sadly, the man has completely lost his fastball, both comedically and mentally. It's really hard to take the critical thinking skills of somebody who said the words "George W Bush made it alright to respect the office President of the US again" seriously. He also popped up on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives recently, which made me sad because Guy Fieri is the kind of tool Dennis used to mock regularly on HBO.

I was about the same age when I first got into Dennis Miller. He really was a phenomenal stand up, and I watched his HBO talk show every Friday night (1-800-LACTOSE). To be honest, I didn't hate him on Monday Night Football either, just because he was so not up to the task and awkward that I thought he lent an odd and interesting angle to the commentary.

I gave his radio a listen a couple times just because I thought, yeah, he may be a bit of a right wing nut now, but he's still got to be funny every now and again. He really isn't though. "Lost his fastball" is a perfect metaphor, honestly. Plus, the way he sucks Bill O'Reilly's rear end is just disgusting. It's like he's seeking a father's approval.

quote:

I'd like to see you make a good Phil Hendrie post, DangerDummy, because I don't know much about him at all.

What the hell. It'll give me something to do now that work's kinda slow. I just have to dig up my laptop out of storage cuz there's no way in hell I'm doing it on a tablet.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 3, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

There's an interview he does with Howard Stern where he describes himself as "the turd in the punch bowl", and he's very candid about how much of a dick he is. It's a great interview, plus he did one with Stern about 15 years ago about how he's one of the elite few to have seen " The Day the Clown Cried". Despite how you might feel about Stern, they're both great listens if you can find them on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Knucklebear posted:

Speaking of comedians that have passed, the WTF with Patrice O'neal is definitely worth a listen.

I like this interview a lot. Patrice was hilarious and infuriating, and there's a ton of great insight in the WTF interview as to why he is the way he is.

I always thought it was funny that he he was best friends with noted republican rear end in a top hat Nick DiPaolo. It was my secret hope they'd star in a remake of The Defiant Ones.

• Locked thread