Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah, how did this not have it's own thread? I wouldn't be listening to any podcasts if it wasn't for WTF.

I'll start the discussion. As much as I like Marc and as much as I dislike Dane Cook's comedy, I thought Marc came off as a total dick. He kept going back to Cook's "stealing my essence" line over and over again like he didn't know what Cook was trying to say. Usually I feel like Maron has made peace with an old peer or made a new friendship at the end of each comedian episode, but this one felt off.

Anybody listen to the Bobby Lee interview? Most unexpected interview about making GBS threads your pants while taping Mad TV because you're high on crystal meth I've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm curious. How does one not like stand-up? Do you not enjoy laughing? It's like saying you don't enjoy music or films but enjoy reading up on the creative minds that create this art.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mescal posted:

By the way, your comment's right--I don't enjoy music or films as much as I like playing music or writing stories. Anything completely engaging and active is better for me than sitting down and listening.

That's not what I said though. I was asking if you enjoyed reading and analyzing the people who make art better than actually listening/watching it, not doing the art yourself.

But stand-up is not easy to predict at all. BAD stand-up is easy to predict. Rock music isn't easy to predict just because the Foo Fighters have wrote the same album 10 times. If you know the punchline to a joke or story, it's because it's not very good.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anybody listen to Marc on Pete Holmes' podcast? I had no idea that his young girlfriend Jessica is the stalker chick who sent him pictures of her vagina from his routine. It makes toooooo much sense.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

CommunistMojo posted:

Wait I thought he was dating Jessi Klein. At least the pic I saw looked like her.

His girlfriend is in her late 20s. And Marc has changed the locks on his house once already. I'm sure this is going to end well for him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to have to disagree with myself. The Dave Grohl interview is one of the best in a while.

What do they talk about? Is there anything about Nirvana or does it mostly focus on his post-Nirvana career?

My problem with the music interviews is that Marc usually turns into a fanboy and steers the conversation towards what guitarists his guest likes to use.

The Elizabeth Banks episode was great, but there was a hilarious moment that stands out. After Marc asks why Elizabeth "chose" to conceive via a surrogate, she corrects him and a minute later mentions the idiots who ask her that question. I thought Marc would try to make a joke about it but he's so intimidated by her that he lets it fly.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dear Marc,

More old Jews, less singer/guitarists

Sincerely,

Fans of your comedy podcast

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tom Green r00lz and so did that interview. I've seen him in pictures with another MTV star-turned-stand-up Steve-O hanging out with Laugh Factory regulars and it's nice to see they're still making a living.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kinda wish they break up just so their kid wouldn't have to deal with his old man and young mom. I feel like eventually she's going to break him and convince him he should be a dad at 50... even though he doesn't sound very enthusiastic about it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ariza posted:

Has anyone seen WTF live? Is it just Marc doing standup, using the name to help sales? It's over three nights and the site doesn't list guests so it doesn't seem to be a live podcast. I'm trying to decide if it's worth figuring out how to go.

That's not WTF live, that's just him doing three nights of stand up.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's odd that Denis Leary is an EP on Maron and the first guest star (on released episodes. This isn't the pilot), but he's never appeared on the podcast. We all know where the conversation is going to head to so he might as well get it out of the way.

Maron is a surprisingly natural actor but I found the show kind of dull. My main complaint is that from listening to hundreds of his podcasts, I already know what Maron's arc has been and how he's become a better person and what he's learned over the year. So watching it in sitcom format seems like a rehash to me, but it's probably interesting to someone who's more a casual fan or hasn't heard of him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Did the latest live WTF get fixed? I downloaded it last night but it was still hosed. Marc retweeted something about it not working on mono but I listen to all my pods on an iPhone.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

Listening to the live show. This John Nash guy really wishes he were Eddie Pepitone.

Jason Nash. Dude has been around for almost two decades.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Marc has talked about Jessica wanting a kid for a while now. But on today's Sklarbro County, he more or less confirmed they're really doing it.

pray 4 baby maron

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Simpsons writer and developer Sam Simon is the guest for Thursday's show. Unfortunately, it appears he's being interviewed because he's dying. Should be a great episode nonetheless.

http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/s195/the-simpsons/news/a466968/the-simpsons-co-creator-sam-simon-diagnosed-with-terminal-cancer.html

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

tnimark posted:

Did anybody listen to the Rob Schneider episode? Is it worth listening to? I ask as someone who does not enjoy his work even a little.

Pretty good. I had no idea he was a stand-up, I always pegged him as a sketch or improv guy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Spoiler alert for today's episode: Marc and Jessica got engaged!

This should be fun.

Oh boy. I deleted today's because I'm not a fan of the music eps. I just now remember him saying something big was happening on Thursday so thanks for reminding me.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Could you get me a vial of Marc Maron's blood while you're being super creepy? pm me for my address just kidding you can find it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

escape artist posted:

When you deal with the hecklers I do at shows, it kind of becomes ingrained in you (I love hecklers, by the way, because I destroy them). It's reflexive, knee-jerk poo poo. You always have to be ready to strike back. I was just "hazed" into a "fraternity" of comics and I'm sort of in that state of mind.

You posted like a month ago that you were working up the nerve to do your first open mic. Now you're destroying hecklers?

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 15, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

escape artist posted:

Bitches gonna bitch, most especially on here.

Go ahead and continue bashing me on here, strangers. :allears: Continue telling me how to perform despite having never done a show yourself, and don't forget to douse your comments in a thick layer of self-righteous indignation.

Speaking as the guy who told you a month ago "Stop obsessing over writing your set and just go on stage", you really need to bomb. I'm saying this with empathy and no negativity, you really, really need to bomb so you will stop thinking in this manner. "Trolling the audience"? The gently caress? You mentioned something that your open mics let you have ten (ten!?!?!?) minutes so clearly you're in some small rear end town. I'm still confused as to what trolling the audience is? You went from open mics to regular shows in a month? So you're making fun of audiences who have to put up with a month-long comic that thinks he's better than them? Or fellow open micers?

And like someone said, don't speak this way around the other comics or they will hate you.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

On a recent Todd Barry podcast he and his guest discussed working with Larry in Florida in the pre-Cable Guy days. They had nothing but nice things to say.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cheech & Chong was a classic IMO. So glad that got recorded before it was too late. And a serious LOL at Cheech saying "Oh, yeah" to Marc telling him there's good Mexican food in Highland Park.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I thought Marc did pretty well considering he had only one previous acting role yet had to transition into being in EVERY scene in his show (of the four episodes I watched). I've seen comics with waaaaaay more acting experience struggle in guest spots or even supporting roles. And that's nowhere near the emotional range you need to carry a show so focused on one character.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Yeah, Thinky Pain was pretty good. Worth watching, although I feel like it's not the best record of his stand up.

So, in the intro to today's show, Marc has just revealed that he's broken up with Jessica. It had seemed clear that things were going badly the last few shows, and given who he is, this is hardly a surprise, but still, I feel bad. I'm listening to it now, and he's keeping his cool, but he sounds pretty hurt.

That's good news. I was very happy during Thinky Pain when he asked the audience if he should have kids and the screams of "NOOOO!!!" were louder than the apathetic "yeahs?".

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Wrestler CM Punk is tomorrow's guest. Which is literally WTF, but a few months back he performed stand up at an alt show in LA.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

Dude has disowned what seems to be his entire family for "stealing" from him. Pretty sure Punk is a whack job.

Having lovely family members who suddenly want to be in your life once you make money is pretty normal.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

Woah, Will Ferrell is on next week.

Nice! Thank you, endless Anchorman 2 promo schedule.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yeah, my surprise was due to the personality of the musician in question, not the fact that some musician somewhere used meth.

What other recent WTF episodes are must-listen? I need to catch up.

Looking back on the last 50 episodes which are free to download, the only one I'd say is a must listen is the Cheech & Chong episode. I think he's had more musicians and actors than comedians in those free 50.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

GraPar posted:

Natasha Lyonne was pretty terrific - one of the drugs and depravity ones Marc does so well, but still pretty funny the whole way through.

Yup I would add that one too. Isn't that also the episode where Marc talks about breaking off his engagement?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I like to imagine early 90s Marc stumbling on an episode of The State during a 3AM coke bender where he thinks OH MY GOD THESE GUYS ARE HUGE! THEY'RE INTERNATIONAL SENSATIONS AND I'M JUST DOING SPOTS AT THE COMEDY STORE!!!

Because why else would he mention The State were huge to literally every single member of that troupe who has appeared on his podcast?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apparently Yakov does a weekly show at the Acme Comedy Club on La Brea. Or that's what I've surmised from driving past his big rear end face every week.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The latest live episode's intro was so cathartic. If you've ever gotten your hair cut at Sweeney Todd's in LA, then you've probably wanted to yell at them the way Marc did.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That was a great episode, but I hated how Marc interrupted at the very end just as she was going to talk about her first writing job. I read an interview that said she was hired by Scott Aukerman and BJ Porter out of college to write on their Showtime sketch pilot with BJ Novak and Dan Mintz. But that's all it said.

On that note, have Aukerman or Porter ever done WTF? I can't find any info online about their falling out... or if there even was a falling out.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

roach cum puddle posted:

EDIT: You obviously shouldn't heckle, but I don't see what the big deal of that joke is?

LIFEHACK: Don't call a woman ugly.

I too get the Mask-vibe from certain pics of her. But I thought she looked pretty hot in her stand-up special. Her sultry voice, sense of humor, and love of manly man sports certainly helps.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

There is no amount of money you could pay me to listen to WTF episodes featuring a musician or non-comedy world actor.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

a_big_dog posted:

Yup. Anything else gets deleted without a second thought.

All of the episodes featuring 70s rock guitarists are like The Chris Farley Show sketch from SNL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKCM0u99II

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

WTF With Marc Maron: The mom from Jurassic Park

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

But back to non dinosaur topics, Marc is dating Moon Zappa now? Hmmmm. Well, at least it's age appropriate! And there's no gold-digger factor to be scared of. And no daddy issue factor to take in oh god Frank Zappa had the exact same facial hair.

What episode/s has he talked about her in?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I kinda like the idea of Marc becoming a stepdad (if this relationship lasts) to a precocious 9 year old girl. At least a hell of a lot better than an unstable 27 year old forcing him to having a baby at age 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Beeez posted:

I wish there was somewhere that had transcripts or summaries of WTF episodes or something. I'd like to know what you guys are talking about with certain interviews but I already listen to too many podcasts and awkwardness makes me uncomfortable even if I'm not personally involved, so I don't listen to the show very much.

AV Club's Podmass recaps WTF every week.

• Locked thread