Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Marc and Moon broke up :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

His 5,467 tweets yelling at Time Warner Cable last month for not fixing his service was a warning sign, now that I look back on it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It was definitely one of the best non-comedian episodes. When RuPaul mentioned Monty Python was his earliest influence and Marc was going through all their appealing qualities to a young RuPaul, I must've been one of thousands of people yelling "They were constantly in drag!!!!" in their cars.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Can anyone give a rundown of the episode? I listened to the first ten minutes and he was being introspective and threw in a clip of the Odenkirk episode - if it's just a clip show from previous episodes, I'll probably skip it.

Call your dad. He will appreciate it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Yeah I think the apology was a bit weak. It was more of an "I'm sorry you felt that way, but..." instead of just admitting his Dad was hurt and that he realized what he's done.

Marc didn't really do anything wrong though. He just realized "my dad is gonna die relatively soon so maybe I just say I'm sorry to make him feel better so we can both move on" which is definitely something I've done with my old man over dumb arguments. Marc's dad has bipolar disorder and was mad about his exaggerated fictional portrayal in the TV show. For once in Marc's life, he wasn't the one who blew up at the person on the other end of the line.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Famed television showrunner Marc Maron and a bunch of nobodies are on the cover of The Hollywood Reporter this week

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/comedy-showrunners-roundtable-chuck-lorre-708383

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I thought it was a good interview in that Marc didn't shy away from talking about Scientology, which I was expecting. But Ribisi didn't exactly convert me to his side. Here on Sunset Blvd. there is literally a place called MUSEUM OF PSYCHIATRY: AN INDUSTRY OF DEATH.

Bret Easton Ellis tweeted that he's driving to the cat ranch today. That episode should be really great.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

XIII posted:

Maron just did his podcast last month. I've never listened to any of them (just subscribed today), but I saw Doug Stanhope and Marc Maron within the last few episodes, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I recommend the one with Adam Carolla. Two very different guys but they manage to agree on basically everything they talk about.

Warning, BEE loves the sound of his own voice. Sometimes I wish he's just not have guests on.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

As long as you skip the intro which involves Marc taking a burnt match to the tip of his dick, the Romany Malco episode is one of the best of the year. A really smart dude with a varied, interesting past. I always assumed he was just a stand-up who got his big acting break with The 40 Year Old Virgin.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thursday's intro is a must-listen if you haven't already must-listened. It's about what he calls the worst day of his life.

It's also an example of why I'm not the biggest fan of his show: The fictionalized version of his life isn't that interesting when I've already heard him talk at length about the exact same subject covered in the episode.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Robin Williams episode is being re-uploaded within the hour by Marc :/

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dr. Drew episode was surprisingly one of the best recent eps. Probably won't change your mind if you dislike him (although my dislike comes from Loveline days back in the early 2000s, not his recent reality TV work) but it's an interesting talk between two sons of doctors.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah having a sitcom cancelled is not a career killer, especially when 80%+ shows are cancelled and 95% of people never heard of this particular show in the first place. He'll be fine.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

TJ Miller is going off on twitter about Marc because of some brief mention on the Kumail Nanjiani episode.

It was the Mike Judge episode. He also mentioned disliking TJ on an earlier episode from this month.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

The Harry Shearer interview was great. He's a testy fellow but he isn't afraid to tell a story. His time on SNL sounded like a nightmare.

A nightmare for other people. In the oral history Live From New York, nobody has anything nice to say about him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

His comment about being underpaid at The Simpsons was particularly off-putting. Like dude, I understand you're saying in comparison to the unthinkable amount of money the Simpsons makes for FOX each year, you're underpaid. But when you've been making about 5+ million a season for the last 15 seasons, just smile and cash your checks.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I work in West L.A. where it's normal to see traffic closures every 6 months for when Obama's in town for a fundraiser (the same reason he's here this weekend). But it's pretty surreal to see the latest LAPD traffic warning saying

quote:

The area around Mountain Street and the 210 Freeway 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

The area around 134 Freeway and Colorado Boulevard 8:00 to 12:00 p.m.

The area around Colorado Boulevard and Figueroa Street 8:00 to 12:00 p.m.

The area around York Boulevard and North Avenue 51 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

knowing it's because he's hanging out with Maron for an hour. I hope it goes down like https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/611633762229575681

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All the cool kids know Obama dropped a bunch of n-bombs in the audio version of Dreams from My Father.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but I still have a career because I know how to keep my mouth shut. Who's going to hire Cenac now that they know he'll air his dirty laundry on podcasts every time he doesn't get his way? It reminds me of the woman who threw a temper tantrum on twitter because Aaron Sorkin shot down her ideas for The Newsroom. Since that show ended, she has spent the last 18 months.. well, doing nothing because no one wants to hire an argumentative, caustic and unprofessional employee.

I think that speaks more about Hollywood's institutionalized racism and sexism that is so is so ingrained that even mentioning it, like the actress from two weeks ago who auditioned for Sandler's latest movie, got her dropped by her agent.

Also, you think a 40 year old man is a Millenial. Good post.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Like Cenac, McGowan was behaving unprofessionally. She started trashing a script she turned down on a public forum. The consequence of that is that she doesn't get any more scripts. The agent also takes flak because she represents McGowan. So the agent has a choice: drop McGowan and save herself from being dragged down by McGowan's unprofessionalism, or stand by McGowan who will never be hired again because...? The agent did the right thing and though you're crying "sexism :qq:" the evidence clearly shows that McGowan's behavior is 100% responsible for her getting dropped.

The other choice is that this supposedly liberal industry actually start acting like it and not get offended when people speak up. Or we could just stay quiet and let this poo poo continue.

Just curious, are you a minority who works in show business? Because I am. And I have enough bullshit stories from "liberal Hollywood" as conservative commentators like to call it to fill an entire thread.

Maybe consider where other people are coming from. Like being the only black writer and performer on a staff of 100 people. If you don't think Cenac struck a nerve with Stewart, I guess it's just a coincidence that every hire for TDS in the last six years besides Jordan Klepner has been a person of color.

Edit: Just looked up the writer who got fired by Sorkin. She's writing on the Golden Globe winner for Best Drama The Affair. Looks like her career sure got ruined.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 24, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

But you're not addressing the fact that she behaved unprofessionally. Are you saying its okay to take a script for a movie that hasn't been filmed yet and that you turned down a role in, post excerpts on twitter and use them to make fun of the other actors in the picture? Is that really what you want people to "speak up" for?

Yes. Because in Hollywood, a woman's career as an actress is essentially over the moment she can't pass for 29 and doesn't return until she can play a 55+ woman again. And the problem is not just with acting. Because in Hollywood, despite more women than men graduating from film school, they somehow, coincidence I'm guessing, don't rise up the ranks to director.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/number-of-female-directors-falls-over-17-year-period-study-finds-1201402686/

"Women were best represented as producers (23%) followed by executive producers (19%), editors (18%), writers (11%) and cinematographers (5%). Although there are more female executive producers and cinematographers working today than there were in 1998, the percentage of women working as writers, editors and producers have all dropped."

Again, are you a minority who works in the entertainment industry? Do you even work in the entertainment industry? Have you ever been in a writers room? Have you ever been on set? Have you ever been in a pitch meeting? Have you even been an audience member on a late night talk show because the tickets were free? If no, then you are talking completely out of your rear end. "Behaving unprofessionally" doesn't mean anything that you think it means because the film and TV industry is not some white collar office job. LMAO at thinking that posting and making fun of a casting notice telling women to dress like a slut is "unprofessional" in this industry. Last month UTA stole from CAA every agent who literally represents, and I mean LITERALLY in the dictionary definition of the word, every famous and semi-famous comedian in the world... and that was a loving blip on the radar. "Behaving unprofesionally"? Have you read the the stolen Sony e-mails where the head of a major studio jokes around that the President is only interested in movies with black people? Your grasp of unprofesionalism in Hollywood is even worse than your grasp on Generation Y.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

The entertainment industry is a business like all others.

NO IT'S NOT. THAT'S MY POINT. You don't work in this industry. So STOP TELLING ME WHAT MY DAY-TO-DAY LIFE IS. I'm not black, but I'm starting to understand what it's like when white people tell black people that their experience with law enforcement is not valid because they've met nothing but nice cops.

Let's go down the list of things you're factually wrong about. These are not up for debate:

*Wyatt Cenac is generation Y or a Millenial. No. He's a 39 year old man.

*Rose McGowan posted a script on Twitter. She did not. She posted a casting note. You've mentioned this multiple times and don't even know what you're talking about. You read a blog post, shoved in the back of your mind, and retrieved a crumpled version of it.

*The woman who spoke up in Aaron Sorkin's writing room is not unemployed. She is a writer on a prestigious TV show that just won an award for being the best TV show. And in those 18 months "doing nothing", she could've sold a pilot or done uncredited rewrites. Who knows? IMDB is not your friend when it comes to screenwriters.

So you ignored these easily Googlable facts, combined them with your total lack of experience working in Hollywood, and formed an extremely aggressive opinion on why minorities should keep their mouth shut when people in power say things that are, how should we put it, uncouth.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Veskit posted:

Hell that's progress, you should be proud mordecai this is the most wrong I've ever seen Irish Joe admit.

I'm just glad we can stop talking about Hollywood unprofessionalism in a thread devoted to Marc Maron. It would be a disgrace to his career from 1990-2010.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Yeah its really not as big as people are making it to be.

Guy Branum put it best. Tweet could apply for both Jon or Wyatt

https://twitter.com/guybranum/status/624454265587793920

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

You Am I posted:

Since the Daily Show isn't easily available in Australia, does anyone know if Wyatt Cenac turned up for the last Jon Steward episode?

Jon even said "So... we good?" as a nod to Marc.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Bret Easton Ellis podcast is even funnier when you realize he makes his guest sit through his pre-written 20 minute intro about political correctness or how TV is actually bad these days or what millennial nonsense his 20 year old boyfriend is into instead of recording it beforehand.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I usually hate his fanboy music interviews, but this one was pretty good. Him smoking his first cig in a decade was classic. How could you say no when Keith Richards offers you from his pack?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Has he ever done anything but feel-good softball interviews?

The first 300 episodes before he ran out of people he knew personally AKA people he insulted personally.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Update: the Bo Burnham episode is just as bad.

Really? I remember really liking that episode because Marc was nice to a young comic for once. He gives him fatherly advice not to be cynical and even plays one of Burnham's songs at the end. Marc never plays anybody's material. It was the same song he did on Paul Provenza's show with Maron so that must've been where they met.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkIVV2iQtM4

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What were some of the best WTF episodes with former SNL cast that revealed something about Lorne? Especially about Lorne's meeting with Marc? Most of those episodes, the guest has glowing praise for Lorne (like the Mulaney one) but there are a few exceptions:

*I think it was Jim Breuer who revealed that Lorne probably only interviewed Marc for Weekend Update as a ploy to get someone else.
*Jay Mohr had some awkward stories about his short time on SNL.
*Harry Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat and had nothing but bad to say about his time there.

Am I forgetting any key episodes from 90s cast members who helped Marc put the pieces together?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you have Howl.FM, the Jon Dore/Greg Fitzsimmons live episode has one of the funniest takedowns of Marc. He introduces Fitzsimmons with an incredibly passive aggressive opening and Fitzsimmons just unloads with laser accuracy. Hilarious fight.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

A key quote in the Michaels episode: "God, you really remember a lot of this."

It's weird, as a Brit I don't think I've ever quite understood the institution of SNL. I know what a breeding ground it is, but every episode I've seen - even from the 'glory years' - has a pretty crazy hit/miss ratio. It just feels like one of those things that is held in reverence because of the name only, and not because of what it actually does.

That's what it is. It's a breeding ground. "SNL hasn't been good since 19xx" was a clichéd thing to say 20 years ago yet people still argue that with a straight face. SNL has never been "good" in the sense that certain seasons had tons of great episodes from front to back. But for 40 consecutive years, it's showcased the next great comedic stars from North America. And in 40 years, it's never failed to do so.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The best argument for SNL being solely about casts and not the quality of sketches is the cast from about 2004 to a few years ago. Outside of the digital shorts, can you name that many great sketches from that period? Yet from that era you have huge stars like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisen, Jason Sudeikis, Jimmy Fallon, and Seth Meyers and comedy nerd favorites like Jenny Slate, Will Forte, Mike O'Brien. I don't watch Saturday Night Live to watch the world's best sketches. I watch it so I can see people like Kyle Mooney and Kate McKinnon on a weekly basis before they become industry giants.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

That's a good point.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty bummed by the lack of Kyle and Brett videos this year so far.

I'd love a WTF with Nick Rutherford. He went into some detail on DJ Douggpound's podcast about being the only Good Neighbor to not be hired, but that was before he was hired as a writer for last season and then left the show to return to L.A. this season.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This isn't a snarky question: Did you just start listening to WTF? Because the first 200 episodes of WTF are Marc apologizing to his guests for being a condescending rear end in a top hat to them. Or he just is a dick to them in the garage. I got Howl.FM last weekend and was listening to favorites and old episodes I missed and it's even worse than I remember.

"Hey Sklars! So which one do I have a problem with? You're basically the same person!"

"Our next guest is an angry little man... Greg Fitzsimmons everybody!"

"Kumail Nan... How do you pronounce it?" *goes into a 5 minute bit about the difficulty in pronouncing South Asian names*

"So Chelsea Peretti. You're a woman comic."
"Uh... yeah."
"Tell me about that."
"....."

"So, Matt Walsh. You and three other people founded UCB. It was you, the writer guy Ian, Matt Walsh, and Amy."
"I'm Matt Walsh"

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

XIII posted:

I've been saving the Lemmy interview and I'm not sure if now is the best or the worst time to listen to it.

It basically unintelligible.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Ben Hoffman interview was great. I've been following Wheeler Walker Jr. on twitter for a month thinking he's just this ironic country singer with a deep appreciation for dirty music (he tweeted about BlowFly dying) but nope, it's that dude from that one show.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That Al Lubell episode is good but also another sad addition to what I call the "There but for the grace of God go I" genre of WTFs. Guys who Marc could've ended up like if his mental illnesses were of a slightly different nature, if he didn't have a house to fall back on after the divorce, if he didn't have a lucky break or two, if he didn't have the perseverance and great timing and didn't put in all the work to start the podcast.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's a rule that Louis has to cry on WTF.

I thought the Julia Louis-Dreyfuss interview was pretty dull until the last 10 minutes. Marc seemed unusually nervous and spent the first 20 minutes telling her how funny she is as if she didn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bonzo posted:

This was the Rob Reiner interview verbatim.

At least for Reiner that's interesting because he's a legit Hollywood legend who was raised by and amongst other legends. Plus he's gregarious and loves to talk. Sarandon is like your stoned hippie aunt who you try to avoid at the Seder.

• Locked thread