Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
The opening rant to the Coop episode reveals that Maron's girlfriend Jessica might have a WOW problem.

So Maron is dating a goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
As a huge Dinosaur Jr fan I was really excited about today's interview with J. Mascis. I haven't finished it yet (had to go to work)but I don't think I'd find it at all interesting if I didn't like the band.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews? I feel like they really highlight Maron's weaknesses as an interviewer. He just has so little real knowledge that he resorts to fan boy gushing and guitar talk. It seems like comedy is the only subject he can explore in any depth with his subjects. The one that annoyed me the most was the Carrie Brownstein show. I was really hoping that he'd take the opportunity to talk to her about what it was like to transition from music to a television comedy, instead all he did was ask her about what pickups she liked.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews?

Well, looks like I'm going to have to disagree with myself. The Dave Grohl interview is one of the best in a while.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What do they talk about? Is there anything about Nirvana or does it mostly focus on his post-Nirvana career?

They really don't mention Nirvana. At one point he asks Dave if he misses Kurt, and Dave says yes, and basically implies he doesn't want to talk about it.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

My problem with the music interviews is that Marc usually turns into a fanboy and steers the conversation towards what guitarists his guest likes to use.

That is exactly what I don't like about them.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The Elizabeth Banks episode was great

Agreed, and so far I like the Hodgman show a lot as well.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Drunkboxer posted:

I kinda liked the phonecalls. At one point I thought it was part of an elaborate bit.

I agree, the phone calls were part of the atmosphere in an interesting way. I think that's what Marc was trying to get at when he kept going on about feeling at home with old Jews.

The Brooks and Reiner interviews were fantastic. This is what I listen to him for, the shows that are part of a larger effort to document the history of comedy.

Definitely looking forward to Dick Van Dyke and Tom Green.

"What did I say? 80%, right?"

That was beautiful.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Dear Marc,

More old Jews, less singer/guitarists

Sincerely,

Fans of your comedy podcast

Couldn't agree more.

Also, more non-stand up comedy figures, like writers, directors, etc.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
I really liked this week's show with Eddie Pepitone. It was exactly the kind of show that made me love WTF when I first started listening: an in depth discussion of what it means to be a comedian. And I can't wait to hear the live show he mentioned, where Margaret Cho talks about sleeping with Marc.

Anyone here listen to Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast? Very similar to WTF in content, if not totally in style. The shows I've listened to so far (Jay Mohr, W. Kamau Bell and Dave Attell) have been good. It made me wonder, however, how many comedians are doing interview podcasts, and if one day they will all have interviewed each other.

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2013

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Jippa posted:

Yeah that was great. I like the interviews where there is a back and forward. I think he said he is trying to move away from that and more concentrating on the other person.

I think people open up a lot more when marc talks about himself as well.

I agree. The thing is, Marc is no Terry Gross. He's great in conversation with a fellow comedian, but not so good at straight interviews.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
Anyone have any idea what specifically Marc was apologizing for on the Gina Gershon episode? He did something to piss off the director of the documentary about Eddie Pepitone, but I haven't re-listened to the episode to try and figure out what.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
I thought Franco was really interesting and smart. One person's pretentious is another person's profound, I suppose, but as someone who knows a lot of actors, I found him to be much more thoughtful about the craft than most. I guess it helps that I've liked him since Freaks and Geeks.

As for Marc, I just feel that when he's not talking to comedians or being a rock fanboy, he's out of his depth as an interviewer.

Eddie Peppitone was pretty great.

Edit four days later:

Maron interviewing Ari Shaffir - "Isn't this why you ran away from God, Ari, so you could make calls to 18-year-olds and tell them they might have chlamydia?"

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2013

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Ariza posted:

Has anyone seen WTF live? Is it just Marc doing standup, using the name to help sales? It's over three nights and the site doesn't list guests so it doesn't seem to be a live podcast. I'm trying to decide if it's worth figuring out how to go.

Have you listened to any of the live WTFs? He has guests, they come out and he sort of interviews them, but really, they all just do semi-stand up routines and then give each other poo poo. It's basically the same way guests on a late night talk show talk to Letterman or Carson. I haven't seen a live WTF, but listening to them I always find them funny, if less interesting than the regular show. If you like stand up, then go see him do stand up, he's really good.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
The pilot for his tv show Maron is up for free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JMV6WfJ94

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
I just listened to the Sam Simon episode and thought it was excellent, one of the better ones recently.

No one's talked about his book much yet. I've refrained because I didn't want to be too negative, but I read half of it and then stopped. It's funny and entertaining, but I'm pretty disappointed. I really wish he had written a memoir of a life in comedy and a meditation on the art of being funny, something more in line with Steve Martin's Born Standing Up. Instead, it's a bunch of humiliating stories with no narrative to hold it together. I realize that to people unfamiliar with WTF it may be more interesting, but I think he's taken the self confessional thing too much to heart. He mentioned at one point that he had written the book as a series of distinct scenes because it was easier, and I think it shows.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

escape artist posted:

Who would you most like to see interviewed by Maron on the podcast and why?

I would love for Marc to interview one or all of the members of the Firesign Theater. I suggested this to him after one of his shows and he confessed he'd never been into them.

As far as stand-ups go, the two obvious ones for me are Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby. I'd also like to see him interview Dan Whitney AKA Larry The Cable Guy. I hate Larry, but hopefully it would be either an angry walk-off like Gallagher, or an insightful look at the art of comedy from an unlikely source (actually, I'd like to see Maron interview Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White as well. It would be interesting to hear what they have in common with Marc and what they don't.)

I love it when he branches out into people who are involved with comedy but not stand-ups (loved his interviews with Dan Harmon and the Onion writer. Can't wait for Sedaris.) So, on that note, I would really like him to interview a cartoonist, like Gary Trudeau, Gary Larson, or Bill Watterson.

And wouldn't an interview with Al Franken be cool?

But of course, the holy grail would be Lorne Michaels. Might very well be boring, but seriously, after all that talk, he should just interview Lorne and then quit.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Just started listening, and it's pretty great! Have to say, I feel psyched for Marc. 400 shows!

Edit: loving great show. And Cheech & Chong on Thursday! Totally takes me back to high school.

"Dave? Dave's not here!"

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 24, 2013

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So glad that got recorded before it was too late.

What do you mean?

It was an awesome episode, the perfect combo of subject I really wanted to hear about and guests who were great conversationalists.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Bundt Cake posted:

Both guys, especially Chong, came off like scumbags.

Really? Scumbags? I thought they seemed great. I'm not arguing with you, that just seems a bit strong.

The Berzerker posted:

I thought the David Sedaris interview was pretty good

I didn't love it, mostly because I wanted to hear more about discussion of craft and humor. The conversation was more lightweight than I wanted. I think Marc was just so pleased that Sedaris liked his book he couldn't think straight.

Sedaris made a good point about the book cover. The big picture of the author does give it that "celebrity bio" vibe. I felt bad when Marc said that it had dropped out of sight. :(

Anyone here watch the whole first season of Maron? I'm waiting for it to come to netflix or whatever. I wasn't impressed with the sample show, but I know some people here liked it. I'm curious to hear how it developed.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
Do IFC's shows end up on Netflix?

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
Yeah, Thinky Pain was pretty good. Worth watching, although I feel like it's not the best record of his stand up.

So, in the intro to today's show, Marc has just revealed that he's broken up with Jessica. It had seemed clear that things were going badly the last few shows, and given who he is, this is hardly a surprise, but still, I feel bad. I'm listening to it now, and he's keeping his cool, but he sounds pretty hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
So, is it just me, or has the break up made Marc funnier? I thought the Moon Zappa interview was hilarious.

• Locked thread