Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

indigi posted:

I had to stop listening to the podcast. I love Marc's comedy and although he was nothing but a pleasant nice man the time I was lucky enough to eat lunch with him, he seems like a really genuine dyed-in-the-wool rear end in a top hat, and I found it harder and harder to empathize with him. I used to relate to (or at least understand) a lot of the depressive poo poo he typically rants about at the top of the episodes, but it just became clear at some point that he can still be a hardheaded unrepentant dick which was the cause of a lot of those issues. It's weird to hear guests who've been on his show and seemingly made peace with him and were friendly later comment on some other podcast/messageboard/interview/twitter that they had a run-in with him and he was dismissive and mean to them.

I will listen to the occasional episode where he gets a guest I'm really into like Hamm or Cranston, but even then I usually skip the intro and get frustrated when he tries to force his interpretation of their life experiences onto them. It seemed like he kept wanting to make Cranston buy into this privileged-child-of-destiny narrative despite Brian's gentle insistence otherwise. It's a really bad interview technique.

Out of curiosity, please tell us about eating lunch with him.

I generally listen to all of the interviews as they're posted even if I don't know or don't like the comedian. I listen to them just because sometimes even if you don't like the comedian, they have an interesting story. I especially like hearing stories from comedians about doing stand-up in different countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

ChickenArise posted:

I loved hearing Rundgren talk about Melt Banana.

This was kind of funny to me because it was like it doesn't matter if you're a legendary producer and musician who has done a million things and still might be doing a lot of stuff, you will still get old and dorkily talk about music you're not really used to.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Did Garry Marshal have a stroke or something? I know his appearance on Louie was a few years ago but I remember his speech to be pretty clear and articulate whereas his speech in this interview was pretty slurred.

• Locked thread