Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've been listening to WTF for about a year now (started when Marc reposted the Robin Williams interview) and find most of his interviews pretty good. The insecurity thing can be a bit wearing, but it's part of Marc and I have become used to it. One day I'll get around to subscribing so I can hear his earlier interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah I thought it was a universally held opinion that Harry Shearer is a massive, pompous prick.

Even the way he talked about former comedy partners left me with a bad taste. It's obvious that he loves burning bridges. God only knows how The Simpsons staff, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest deal with him

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Henry Winkler. Henry's family history was pretty amazing to listen to, especially the way his father smuggled his wife and other things out of Nazi Germany

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Byrne interview was good, because I was expecting David to just shut up and go cold when Maron started asking him about the break up of Talking Heads and whether Byrne still talks to the ex-members. However Byrne was pretty decent, and kept on going.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't mind the interview with Haley Joel, he seemed interesting enough, but you could tell Marc was hoping for some off the rails stuff

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pocket Billiards posted:

Brendan the producer doing his Marc impression is hilarious.

Brendan nailed it perfectly. Then again he has worked with Marc for years

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Berzerker posted:

I liked the Laura Jane Grace interview. I especially enjoyed how she (playfully) made fun of Marc's "old man" comments/confusions around trans people.

I've only started listening to that episode, haven't hit the interview yet. Marc's intro to it is getting painful.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Since the Daily Show isn't easily available in Australia, does anyone know if Wyatt Cenac turned up for the last Jon Steward episode?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wafflesnsegways posted:

He did, and it was good. They did a faux-awkward conversation, and it ended with Jon Stewart saying "hey, we should talk sometime" and Wyatt Cenac saying "I'm pretty busy."

It was a pretty great capper to the wtf episode.

Ah, that's good to see :)

I liked the Jason Bateman interview, Maron really seemed to click with him and seemed really friendly

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Peter Bogdanovich. It was interesting to hear about Peter's early career, and how he got into the industry

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Septic Knothead posted:

I agree. I am not a Star Trek guy or even much of a fan of Patrick Stewart but that interview was great. I particularly enjoyed hearing him speak in his native (Yorkshire?) accent.

Same here. Was interesting to hear about his father, and the lady who would come in to protect his mother from his father

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I usually hate his fanboy music interviews, but this one was pretty good. Him smoking his first cig in a decade was classic. How could you say no when Keith Richards offers you from his pack?

I wonder how morose Maron will be for episodes after this. "OMG I smoked! I stopped smoking! What was I thinking?!?"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Berzerker posted:

Apparently Maron interviewed Lorne today. Episode to be released... at some point.

Oh wow, I wonder if it will just have Maron screaming and crying about why he wasn't selected for SNL back in the 90s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Saw Marc live last night. He did a great show, even though he was still suffering from jet lag. He did just over 2 hours, just flowed nicely for him, the crowd love him and gave him a standing ovation at the end

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DrVenkman posted:

A key quote in the Michaels episode: "God, you really remember a lot of this."

It's weird, as a Brit I don't think I've ever quite understood the institution of SNL. I know what a breeding ground it is, but every episode I've seen - even from the 'glory years' - has a pretty crazy hit/miss ratio. It just feels like one of those things that is held in reverence because of the name only, and not because of what it actually does.

Same here as an Australian. SNL is showed on a cable network here, and I have only really watched two episodes of it (around 2006-ish) and didn't really get much in the way of laughs here.

Australia doesn't really have someone like Michaels who holds a huge sway in comedy. The closest might be Andrew Knight or Rob Sitch.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've listened to WTF for about 18 months. I haven't heard anything earlier than the Billy Connolly interview. However from what I have gathered from interviews on the net and write ups from other comedians from around the time Maron started as a comedian, Maron was trying to follow in the same boots as Sam Kinison and to a lesser degree Bill Hicks, right down to the drug use. It sounds like during the early parts of his career Maron spent most of the time pissing off anyone and everyone he dealt with, other than a small group of friends who understood what a bastard he was and how to handle his bitterness. Of course as other comedians from Maron's time got more popular, the more bitter he got.

Maron mentioned he was still doing drugs (ok, weed) when he was interviewed by Michaels. Now some people say Michaels is a dick, but I am sure during that interview he had the view of "oh great, another comedian on drugs, not what I need with the SNL with the media attention at the moment". Michaels let Maron down easily at the start of the interview. Whether that will cool Maron's obsession with Michaels has yet to be seen.

That said Maron has realised what a prick he was (and still sometimes can be), but it would be interesting to hear from his ex-wives.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Interesting to hear Marc's love for Bowie, with the knowledge he didn't know Bowie had just died

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rotinaj posted:

So, I listened to some of the Pete Correale episode that dropped today, and it was essentially a no-name comedian sucking Marc off vigorously and thoroughly for the 10-15 minutes of listening to it that I could stand. I'm glad Marc has someone to do that for him, ego boosts are great, but hearing Pete gush about Marc being one of his top 5 favorite comedians got a little old the third time he swung back through that point.

Does the Cindy Crawford interview get any better? It starts off with the most dull poo poo imaginable, teasing me with possible stories about her meeting other celebrities, but none of the stories have anything to them, just "I met this person once" and "I met this other celebrity at a party".

Edit: Oh, and since nobody else mentioned it at all as far as I can see, the Cintra Wilson episode was fuckin' AWESOME. She had a lot of interesting things to say and I could listen to her talk for way longer than one WTF episode.

The Cindy interview was pretty bland.

I agree with the Cintra interview, I listened to it twice since it was so good.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I enjoyed the interviews with Sacha Baron Cohen, especially the way he has a hot line to his lawyer about US Constitution Law questions. Most of the answers are "if the cops appear, get over the state line ASAP"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astrochicken posted:

Hearing Todd Rundgren say that XTC haven't done anything after Skylarking broke my nerdy little heart.

Hearing Rundgren tear into Partridge was interesting.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astrochicken posted:

Enjoyed the ep but julia def sounded peeved the whole episode. In a polite and cordial way though

Yeah, especially when the topic of the blow job scene in that Woody Allen movie came up. It was a weird interview as it seemed like Maron wanted to, well, have sex with her.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was an interesting interview with Jeff Goldblum. Was interesting to hear Jeff's acting style and how he got there, rather than going through his IMDB list.

The John C. Reilly interview felt a bit uncomfortable, I guess due to Reilly's disinterest in being interviewed.

The Dweezil Zappa mini interview was an eye opener, the way he mother treated both him and Frank's legacy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So Maron is done after 4 seasons by Maron's own decision. For a grounded Louie-ripoff that starred a guy with essentially zero acting experience in every scene (and featured too many scenes where his co-stars were also comics with no acting chops), it wasn't that bad of a show. 1st season was pretty rocky, especially the storyline about his young GF. But it got a lot better.

I've only watched the first episode of that series. I'll give it another run next month on Netflix when I have time off work to devote to binge watching

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, that Dana interview was amazing. I barely knew anything about him outside of SNL and the Wayne's World movies (and maybe Master of Disguise), but to hear his story about his childhood was pretty gut wrenching. Reminds me a bit of the David Spade interview.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know this is way old news but holy poo poo the Gallagher interview... I pulled it up on youtube and used someone's skip-the-preamble timestamp and thought they must have mistimed it but no, dude was irate from the first second. How is he even still alive?

I think hate keeps him alive and running

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thirding the Billy West interview, that was a very interesting one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drat, Bill Paxton has died. Time to fire up his interview again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Alice Cooper in the latest episode.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think it was a case of Marc being shafted by Lewis' management rather than Lewis being pissed off (like that Las Vegas interview). Marc was promised an hour with Lewis at the start of the day, but got shafted and pushed to the end of the interview queue.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mcvey posted:

I'm happy that Heather Graham seems as cool as I thought she'd be.

Yes, that was an awesome interview to listen to.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Did it get better? I was interested in hearing them talk #metoo since I'm sure she has some stories, but I turned it off after 30 minutes of Maron's IMDB checklist interview.

Yes it does, and does get into #metoo territory

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo that Drew Carey interview was something. I wasn't expecting such turmoil in his life. Kinda reminded me of Dana Carvey's WTF interview, really opened up a side to the person that I never expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DrVenkman posted:

It's a surprisingly good interview with Jay Leno. There's a lot of comics who have always had a kind of reverence for the early career of that guy and couldn't understand what he had become, but it seemed to me that he just had an opportunity to earn a ton of money and took it instead of working comedy clubs all the time. I guess his journey is essentially the exact same as Letterman's was, it's just one of them is well-regarded.

I think it was a good interview as well, considering how many people seem to hate him for being a "company man". His explanation for Hicks' hate for him made sense, especially after Hicks' spot got canned on Letterman soon afterwards.

• Locked thread