Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The Brand episode was oddly professional and upbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Halfway through the Matt Graham interview. It is no mystery why I haven't heard of this guy, he is a creepy rear end in a top hat.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Mr. Stingly posted:

When I was a kid Maron was like the host of that Comedy Central stand-up showcase show Two Drink Minimum (it went through a couple iterations) and from like 96 to now, any time he was on TV I would stop what I was doing to watch him because it was poo poo I had to see. I like his style.

But I wasn't aware he had a podcast till now. I'm weird, I'm not a huge fan of interviews - they're either boring or so awkward they make me uncomfortable, so I might be in a tiny minority that wants to check out WTFpod just for the monologue. Granted in most of his stand-up I've seen he wasn't hasing out personal stuff or being a dick. That might be a turnoff.

The Louis C.K. stuff sounds like the cream of the crop though, I'll check that out first.

[edit] A couple people mentioned Maron wouldn't let go of the stupid "stealing my essence" line from the feud between Dane Cook and Steve Byrne. I got that, I thought it was funny. He was being a dick. He was deliberately pissing Dane Cook off, and like a true dick he backed off it and was like "I'm just joshing chill out". You could tell this was like an in-joke with him and someone else, and here was the guy that they had been making GBS threads on for years - time to poo poo on him a little, in person.

I like that, because its not like a typical network interview deal. Dane sells out Madison Square Garden Maron repeatedly says, but that goofy "essence" line sums up Cook more for him than anything else. He doesn't give a gently caress how many tickets he sells. He's the guy who said that. For the record, I don't know what the gently caress Dane Cook's talking about. Steve Byrne has his own thing. Cook hasn't trademarked being a good-looking charismatic comic. Then again I've never understood the feud between Dennis Leary and Bill Hicks. [/edit]

The Hicks v. Leary thing is easy.
Leary lifted more of his act than Dane ever lifted from Louis.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

It's pretty uneventful.

I like her less now than I did before listening. Typically its the reverse with Maron's podcast.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Groucho Marxist posted:

Paula Poundstone is on the latest. This seems like it could become very very interesting.

Most boring WTF perhaps ever.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

kuddles posted:

Jesus Christ, I thought you were kidding about that. Looking forward to listening to that, because it will be either great or a train wreck. I feel like her personality and his are going to clash.

It was good, not great but definitely humanized her a bit.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

She's kind of very much way out there. I would love to know the behind the scenes on how this one came about because it is really random.

They mention that they were talking the night before and decided to do the interview on a whim. She seems to be big into the Largo scene and is very familiar with comedy podcasts. She mentions listening to Todd Glass's podcast specifically.

I find it funny that both she and Maron feel hated by Paul F Tompkins.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is it a joke, or is it a "watch in real time as a man makes a terrible life decision"?

I took it as. "If I keep mentioning it she'll keep cleaning".

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Dave Grohl next Thursday. Something to live for!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Drunkboxer posted:

Carl Reiner later in the week too. I think he missed the opportunity to have them both on at the same time. That episode of Comedians in Cars etc. was great.

Carl Reiner, even at 80%, is worth a interview all to himself. He and Brooks are great together but it quickly becomes to Mel Brooks show. I'm looking forward to a solo Carl.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Aside from all the phone calls Carl was great. I can't imagine anything cooler than sitting with Mel and Carl, eating ice cream and watching Justified.

Most exciting part of the interview was Maron announcing that he will be interviewing Dick Van Dyke.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I've no idea who he is but he's been really good on the podcasts he's turned up on so far.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Dude has disowned what seems to be his entire family for "stealing" from him. Pretty sure Punk is a whack job.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Having lovely family members who suddenly want to be in your life once you make money is pretty normal.

He gave me the impression that everyone was stealing from him well before any wrestling popularity.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Apoplexy posted:

Oh, wow, surprised to see The Amazing Johnathan pop up. He was one of my favorites when I was growing up and I was sad to hear he retired recently. Apparently there's a reason behind that discussed in the interview.

Celebrity Death Pool inside information. The way he talks I doubt he makes it another few months. Good lord, what a bummer.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Marc had a guest who did a kickass cover of Masters of War. Unfortunately it was so long ago I can't remember who that was. Any of you know?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

Eddie Vedder?

Na but his cover is good. Its not Ed Sheeran either.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Ya. That's going to cause a bit of a poo poo storm during Stewart's last two weeks. Nicely timed.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

It's been bugging the poo poo out of me that I can't remember who it was but could one of you tell me who covered "Masters of War" on the podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Drew Carey was Nerdist’s first interview. I recall it being pretty awesome as well.

• Locked thread