Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Cast No Engine posted:

I love Andy Daly, but his episode might be in the top 5 most boring episodes ever.

Marc making fun of him had me laughing by myself over and over as Marc insulted him and Andy laughed unable to defend himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Gee wiz guys I don't think Marc's that big of an rear end in a top hat and he always makes me laugh and I can Relate To some of his neuroses. I actually liked his show better when he was doing worse which probably makes me some kind of bad mental health voyeur :(

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ariza posted:

(TV=bad, getting paid makes you a whore)

Marc's point was that Joe Rogan doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to ranting about how society is getting dumber, not that someone who gets paid to be on TV is bad. The point isn't that Joe is bad, its that he wants to have it both ways; The establishment is dumbed-down bullshit, but doesn't mind getting paid truckloads of money to participate. Joe's response was Somebody's gotta do it, so I don't think he really understood the conflict either

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The difference between Gallagher and Patrice is that Gallagher wouldn't admit he did anything insensitive, while Patrice had a whole lovely worldview behind his material. For Marc, "owning" your statements has integrity.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 1, 2012

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

kuddles posted:

I just mean that Maron seems to be wildly inconsistent with his beliefs and attitudes, which I guess isn't exactly that much of a revelation.

He wasn't internally inconsistent in how he treated the two. I am having a hard time coming up with a better wording of the explanation.

Marc thinks that if you take responsibility for your material, then its different than if you do something mean and refuse to admit that it was mean. In his mind I think that Patrice's views are like cultural differences, because Patrice has thought through his opinions and stands by them. And in something close to Marc's words, Patrice's beliefs are derived from his first-hand experience.

I can't remember what the Gallagher joke was, like he had a bean and smashed it and said lets smash beaners or whatever, but he didn't "take ownership" like Marc always says. It was some crap to get a cheap laugh at a county fair.

I already spent too long doing this. poo poo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

inferis posted:

I saw Marc's show in Portland last week and I was the last person in the merchant line. He kept looking back at me with a creep look while he was talking to other people and signing stuff. I bet he's loving people on the road and is going to ruin his marriage.

Were you wearing shorts?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

escape artist posted:

Seriously, go do something constructive with that ire of yours. It's misspent on me.

Man you're destroyin these hecklers

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Both guys, especially Chong, came off like scumbags. Also Marc talked to them with a slightly Heeeeyyy voice, which was really pathetic.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Really? Scumbags? I thought they seemed great. I'm not arguing with you, that just seems a bit strong.

Chong's definitely a dirtbag. Marc pretty much let everything slide about this guys different "wives" and the kids he had all over the place, probably because of a combination of Marc being lovely towards women and in love with Cheech and Chong. but you could tell from the conversation there was thread to pull there and Chong didn't really want Marc to do it. Also the judging a guy by how good looking his girlfriend is was a pretty scummy philosophy to share with the world.

Cheech didn't seem as bad but I guess the way they both so readily accepted the inflated praise Marc was heaping on them bugged me. You guys were great, you changed comedy! Yeah. We did.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
once I realized the sex fest chick and jessica were the same person i wanted to put my arm around his shoulders and say bro...

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
honestly I think the marginalized comedians are a lot better than the people who have great careers usually. When a big movie or tv star shows up you know they're gonna be pretty professional and affable because they've done a zillion interviews, and they're probably really media savvy which is how they've maintained a big career to begin with.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Pryor on Fire posted:

the mom from Jurassic Park?

Hahahaha

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Just so you know, the insecurity is about 10% of what it was

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Lorne's one of the dwindling wtfs that feels special, but Marcs so open and likes everything and everyone so much now I'm worried hes going to be all magnanimous.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Has he ever done anything but feel-good softball interviews?

He used to insult people passive aggressively and openly have opinions (like Dmitri Martin sucks). He hated Lorne Michaels, now he probably respects him or something.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The peak of WTF for me is still the Michael Ian Black episode. The build up of the tension between those two felt like it was going on for years and during the episode it gets so tense Black can't stand to sit anymore and he directly confronts Marc saying Marc didn't think he was funny.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Drunkboxer posted:

I've been stubbornly ignoring all these interviews waiting for him to drop the Lorne one. What's he waiting for?

hes building up to it playing clips about lorne from the show over the years

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

mrfart posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the old episodes. If you guys have any recommendations, outside of the very famous ones that I already checked, I would definitely like to hear some.

Donnel Rawlings, Michael Ian Black, and Andy Daly are all charming. Rawlings has an interesting life story and goes off on black rooms and race in comedy. Michael Ian Black v Marc Maron is the most tense ever, until maybe Lorne, we'll see. And Andy Daly's is hilarious because everything he says about himself has Marc caught between laughter and pity, and marc just going Really? Really? You were that guy? and painting in details while Andy tries to pass Highschool and get to his career, which I dont think he really achieved, but its been awhile.

And the Bob Zmuda episode is great, Marc lets him go for two hours of Andy Kaufman/Tony Clifton mythologizing, which some people hate but I think is great

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bonzo posted:

You would enjoy this then http://www.gilbertgottfried.com/podcast.php

Just scroll down until you see Zmuda's name

Im hooked on that Podcast

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What were some of the best WTF episodes with former SNL cast that revealed something about Lorne? Especially about Lorne's meeting with Marc? Most of those episodes, the guest has glowing praise for Lorne (like the Mulaney one) but there are a few exceptions:

*I think it was Jim Breuer who revealed that Lorne probably only interviewed Marc for Weekend Update as a ploy to get someone else.
*Jay Mohr had some awkward stories about his short time on SNL.
*Harry Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat and had nothing but bad to say about his time there.

Am I forgetting any key episodes from 90s cast members who helped Marc put the pieces together?

He talked to Norm about it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
He let Lorne off the hook completely and became a spineless simpering rear end kisser. Cool.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

piratepilates posted:

Off the hook for what?

For being a dick

Lorne was an incredible rear end in a top hat to him, and is a weird guy people are afraid of because of his power in showbusiness. Marc was afraid to confront him and blew smoke up his rear end for two hours about how he changed comedy, and Marc even backs off like a little baby when he says first season and Lorne goes you mean first five years and Marcs just like yeah. He was sniveling

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 10, 2015

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Honestly if Lorne Michaels was a dick to Marc Maron it was probably completely justified.

How so?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This isn't a snarky question: Did you just start listening to WTF? Because the first 200 episodes of WTF are Marc apologizing to his guests for being a condescending rear end in a top hat to them. Or he just is a dick to them in the garage. I got Howl.FM last weekend and was listening to favorites and old episodes I missed and it's even worse than I remember.

"Hey Sklars! So which one do I have a problem with? You're basically the same person!"

"Our next guest is an angry little man... Greg Fitzsimmons everybody!"

"Kumail Nan... How do you pronounce it?" *goes into a 5 minute bit about the difficulty in pronouncing South Asian names*

"So Chelsea Peretti. You're a woman comic."
"Uh... yeah."
"Tell me about that."
"....."

"So, Matt Walsh. You and three other people founded UCB. It was you, the writer guy Ian, Matt Walsh, and Amy."
"I'm Matt Walsh"

How does that relate to Lorne Michaels, who hed never met

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

GNU Order posted:

What are you talking about? Of course he's met Lorne, he was almost on the SNL cast. Did you listen to the interview?

To me it always felt like since he got turned down Marc got over any bitterness about not getting called up (he even says in the interview he realizes now he wasn't ready then) and just wanted to get a reason, for some kind of closure. I know I would.

They never met before the meeting where Lorne was an rear end in a top hat to him. I don't totally understand where the miscommunication is heree but you aren't responding to what I posted.

Do you not understand how human socializing works or are you just being intentionally dense for inexplicable reasons?

I've never met this person who works in my industry and has interacted with a ton of people I'm friends or in business with so I cannot possibly make any determinations about him.

So your contention is that as long as Lorne had heard Marc was a jerk, he was justified in treating him badly?

DrVenkman posted:

"Incredible rear end in a top hat" according to Marc, who doesn't have the best of memories about these things and has built it up for 20 years or whatever it is into something it clearly wasn't. I thought Lorne was fairly level headed in his answer, though I got the feeling he was sparing Maron the embarrassment of saying that yeah you just weren't very good. Is Michaels dickish? Of course he is. But not everyone is Harry Shearer and willing to talk about that, mainly because he probably doesn't think he's being a dick.

Lorne didn't deny anything Marc claimed he said and said saying "Nothing you're doing matters" was "playful"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DrVenkman posted:

So? Truth is that we don't know if it was or not. It's clear that Michaels does this poo poo to people to see how they react (Hence the various stories about how he keeps people waiting an unreasonable amount of time) and it's possible that he was joking, just like it was possible that he was being serious. Thing is I doubt Lorne himself even knows. It was 20 years ago.

I fell like anyone arguing that Maron should've taken Michaels to task don't understand how social interactions or interviews work. As it was, it's just a largely average interview in which the biggest issue was dispensed with immediately.

I know its not funny and an rear end in a top hat thing to say and to double down on 20 years later

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DrVenkman posted:

I've always thought it was such a weird hangup for Marc to have. He knows he doesn't particularly play well with others, just like he knows that he wouldn't have been a good fit for that show. When he's spoken to people who have been sketch stars he's made his slight disdain pretty clear. So why really care? It's why I thought that resolution was pretty funny, because it's so not a big deal. All of that and it ends with the smallest whimper.

Why would anyone care about tons of money and prestige in their industry with a defined role (Update) thats suited to them? I just cant wrap my head around it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DrVenkman posted:

Being obtuse is fun, but that's not what I'm talking about. Maron's whole thing is about how he seemingly couldn't please Michaels and become part of this institution. But what was he expecting really? He was by all accounts a massive dick at the time who couldn't play well with others and who had never worked in that type of environment before. This isn't like it was snatched from the jaws of victory.

Do you even know what happened? Lorne called him in for a meeting to poo poo on him.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It's really hard to understand with Maron's dick in your mouth

Im calling him a spineless wimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Im doing gay favors for Marc Maron