Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The audiobook of I Drink For A Reason is fun because he constantly excoriates the listener for buying the audiobook instead of the actual book, and then at some point he lets a band he likes play a song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

The Bob Zmuda interview can be pretty fun at times --the Norman Wexler stuff is great-- but I really didn't like him trying to perpetuate the "Andy Kaufman may or may not actually be dead thing" and it seems like Marc wasn't buying it either. Also the thing where "Tony Clifton is real, people just do impersonations of him" is kinda wacky too. Tony Clifton is Dread Pirate Roberts now?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

-Atom- posted:

Does anybody know what Marc's baggage with Jon Stewart is, or have any idea of an interview where he goes into it?

From what I've gathered, Marc treated Jon pretty badly in the early days and Jon did not take it well, and basically threw it back in his face when Marc got hired for Short Attention Span Theatre on Comedy Central(a job Jon had left).

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I just listened to the Bob Golub episode, and man alive, it sounds crazy. I need to watch GoodFellas again. There are much smarter ways to break into acting. It's one of those episodes you don't think is going to be awesome, but actually is.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Zsinjeh posted:

Do other comics have a legitimate beef with Marc Maron or is it just comic to comic joking around?

Jon Stewart definitely still dislikes him, as evidenced by his refusal to come onto the show.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

kuddles posted:

The annoying thing about Maron is that it clearly depends on whether or not he likes the comedian or not personally to determine whether or not it's an issue worth challenging. Gallagher is on and he spends the whole time trying to attack his act as being insensitive, but then Patrice O'Neal gets a completely free pass on the misogynist parts of his routine.

I think the difference with the Gallagher situation was that he had made himself such an easy target of ridicule, not just with the persona everyone knows or the racist street jokes he was telling, but two interviews --one for an Oregon newspaper and the other for the Onion AV Club-- had painted him as a semi-crazy but definitely an out-of-touch and bitter man. Comedy moved on without him and no one really sympathized with his complaints because his success in the 70s and 80s utterly evaporated and he was blaming everyone else for his perceived lack of respect.

I think people gave Patrice O'Neal a pass because he still had lots of respect with working comics, which I totally disagree with and that interview made me dislike him quite a bit, which was unfortunate because I hadn't heard of him before that interview and he died shortly afterwards.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

The Bob Golub episode is pretty amazing too. What some people would do to get a part in a movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Flaggy posted:

Why do you hate Leary?

Denis Leary stole a good deal of his early act from Bill Hicks.

• Locked thread