Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Civil posted:

I've been combing through past interviews because Maron manages to get some of the most spectacular guests on his podcast, but I just can't stand him or his style because of the way he treats some of his guests. I actually like Carrot Top's work, but in the interview, Maron keeps dogging him like he's trying to make him cry, or admit that his career is a failure. Carrot Top is a classy guy, though, and just rolls with it.

And even though Anthony Bourdain isn't much of a comedian, he gives a terrific interview. I just get frustrated when Maron states that he loved Bourdain's books, but conducts the interview, asking questions that indicate that he has barely cracked the cover. Not questions that expose answers he's looking to illuminate, he is clearly unfamiliar with what Bourdain has done or written.

The discussion of the philosophy and practice standup also gets a little tired from interview to interview, but I guess that's what he knows best, so that's what's continually covered.

I guess I just wish someone else could get this caliber of guests, then I'd listen to their podcast instead.

I feel the same way, he gets really great guests but I'd rather just hear them give a monologue for an hour than talk to Maron and have to answer his contrived "So you were bullied as a kid? Your dad wasn't around I bet?" armchair psychologist questioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

The sound of Maron slurping coffee and yelling "pow!" might be the worst noise I have ever heard in my life. I usually throw my headphones off in disgust just as I start to hear him slurp. loving disgusting. I also imagine him having really terrible breath.

I have been listening for a few months now and I am enjoying the show quite a bit despite the active dislike of Marc Maron I have developed. He's just such a bitter, self involved, unfunny oval office that I have a really hard time finding anything endearing about him. I guess it's his cuntishness that makes a bunch of the interviews entertaining though. He has no problems with asking totally inappropriate questions and sometimes it makes for a really good interview.

At times he takes it way too far though. Hearing him prod "Weird Al" about his parents dying when he clearly didn't want to talk about it made me cringe.

Hahah I feel exactly the same way. He knows funny people and has been around the block for a long time but the guy is an rear end in a top hat and not very funny. The armchair psychoanalysis is brutal to listen to. WTF episodes are usually like 20 minutes long for me because I skip the stupid rear end monologue intro and try to find parts where Maron isnt talking too much and then skip the end if he starts talking again

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

I hate to be guy who latches onto the one statement, but you couldn't be more wrong, top to bottom, about Louis or Louie.

I don't hate to be that guy. Louie is a great example of whats wrong with the comedy scene and his show is a catastrophe? You have to be fuckin stupid to think that and consider yourself a fan of comedy

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

On the whole Louis CK topic, I think that the crux of the issue is that despite his own ability to make hurtful comedy transformative, he lacks the capability to project that talent on to a significant part of his audience. Its the same story over and over again. Its Chris Rock not doing black people vs niggers because of how it was accidentally encouraging white people to be huge hateful assholes. \

As for Marc? He's an unrepentant whatthefucker and I don't know why Pete Holmes hasn't grown out of him yet.

If you avoided doing anything that could possibly be misinterpreted by stupid people then you would run out of ideas pretty quickly

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowy posted:

I don't know much about James Franco, is there a reason that Marc was being such a smug dick to him the whole time? Working with Marina Abromovic is cool, I don't get why Marc would goof on that like its silly, especially since he seems to aspire to art.

Eddie Pepitone stole the show!

I havent listened to the episode, but aside from Marc Maron just being a smug dick in general, Franco is also like exactly the type of guy that he would want to be a smug dick to. Franco is successful and good looking etc so Marc has his usual jealousy angle, on top of which James Franco is actually a pretentious goofball actor who thinks way too highly of himself and writes beat poetry, so why wouldnt he make fun of him for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
A better question is: why would you like Denis leary

• Locked thread