Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

As a huge Dinosaur Jr fan I was really excited about today's interview with J. Mascis. I haven't finished it yet (had to go to work)but I don't think I'd find it at all interesting if I didn't like the band.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews? I feel like they really highlight Maron's weaknesses as an interviewer. He just has so little real knowledge that he resorts to fan boy gushing and guitar talk. It seems like comedy is the only subject he can explore in any depth with his subjects. The one that annoyed me the most was the Carrie Brownstein show. I was really hoping that he'd take the opportunity to talk to her about what it was like to transition from music to a television comedy, instead all he did was ask her about what pickups she liked.

I listen to podcasts all day long at my desk, so I rarely skip podcasts because I always need new stuff to listen to, but yeah I usually skip portions of, or just zone out during the music interviews, especially when it's a musician I do not give a poo poo about.

I also liked the Colt Cabana interview a lot (and Colt's podcast, which is basically the indie wrestling version of WTF anyway).

Also I didn't even know we had a podcast subforum until today, how's that for a "WTF"

e: I generally really enjoy live episodes but this week's was not great. I liked Eddie though. I always like Eddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't listened to it yet (I'm behind on WTF and still have to listen to the Keaton one) but Marc's weekly email said that he initially turned the interview down because Jakob's people said that one of the conditions of the interview was not talking about his father. Then they came back and said "okay you can talk about him a little bit" but it seems like he wasn't really okay with it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Just caught up on Carl and oh man, it was great. "Maybe 85" is the greatest punchline to a non-joke, I love it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I never liked Tom Green when I was younger but I thought it was a good interview. He's clearly bored of the shock stuff and is just another guy trying to get by and do his thing, it was refreshing to hear him acting like a normal human.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Happy Hippo posted:

To my knowledge he is about to publish his first book.

His first book is called The Jerusalem Syndrome and it came out over ten years ago. I have it, it's decent but he isn't the same person now as he was then. It's still pretty Maron-y, if you like WTF you'll probably like it. I assume his second book will be very good.

Today's episode with Darryl Lenox was pretty good, I had no idea who he was but found his story to be interesting. Also liked Maron getting a bit serious about this patent troll situation.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I am a fan as well. It was a fantastic episode. Looking forward to Gina Gershon on Thursday as well.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah you sound reasonable.

Marc's book is up for pre-order on amazon if anyone is interested.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

No, Marc looked at a person in his merch line and so that person assumes he fucks strangers on the road all the time because he looks at people. So now it's a discussion on "road faithfulness". Enjoy

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

He definitely cheated on at least one of his wives, he told a story... somewhere... I forget where, about his wife finding plane tickets he bought for the woman he was seeing on the side.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's not quite what I was expecting (I thought there would be more with the guest) but it was pretty good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Maron's new book came in the mail today, although I haven't started reading it yet. Anybody else pick it up?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I assume it did. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with my device, but my iTunes downloaded a second version of the same episode this morning so I assume that is the fixed version.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The audio is still weird on mine but I might have accidentally deleted the "fixed" version and listened to the crappy one?

Just started listening to the new one. Andy Kindler murders me, even with the stupidest jokes.

"I hear Dane Cook has a new font - Sans Comic."

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah he started it by saying he was bored and wanted to fight, followed by gently caress yous to Patton and Dave Anthony. They all go at each other all the time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I remember him telling the story of the text messages on Conan a few years ago.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I just listened to the Sam Simon episode and thought it was excellent, one of the better ones recently.

No one's talked about his book much yet. I've refrained because I didn't want to be too negative, but I read half of it and then stopped. It's funny and entertaining, but I'm pretty disappointed. I really wish he had written a memoir of a life in comedy and a meditation on the art of being funny, something more in line with Steve Martin's Born Standing Up. Instead, it's a bunch of humiliating stories with no narrative to hold it together. I realize that to people unfamiliar with WTF it may be more interesting, but I think he's taken the self confessional thing too much to heart. He mentioned at one point that he had written the book as a series of distinct scenes because it was easier, and I think it shows.

Agreed about the Sam Simon episode.

Also agree about the book. Maybe it's because I'm a big fan, but I already knew a good chunk of these stories from WTF intros, weekly email newsletters, TV appearances, etc., so it felt like a collection of old stuff rather than a new book. I enjoyed it well enough but I wasn't blown away.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Spoiler alert for today's episode: Marc and Jessica got engaged!

This should be fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

She's like 28 or 29. Their origin story is pretty screwed up (she emailed him essentially as a groupie and they set up a sex weekend, then she was texting him pictures of her vagina and stuff) but whatever, good luck to them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah by all accounts he's a guy who realized he could be a millionaire if he stuck with a stupid gimmick, and chose to go the money route. Can't really blame the guy if his career wasn't taking him anywhere and he has two kids to take care of. Gotta git r done, etc.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Monday is the 400th episode, and the guest is... Iggy Pop.

Holy poo poo that is going to be amazing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Learning her background was funny because it`s probably exactly what you`d expect - semi religious parents, braces for 7 years, big teenage ska fan, etc.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Have to say, I feel psyched for Marc. 400 shows!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought the David Sedaris interview was pretty good, but I liked listening to him talk to Julie Klausner more. Nick Cave should be a good one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Anyone here watch the whole first season of Maron? I'm waiting for it to come to netflix or whatever. I wasn't impressed with the sample show, but I know some people here liked it. I'm curious to hear how it developed.

I did. I thought it was kinda weak at the start of the season - it basically felt like every episode was "Marc fucks a different girl and not-very-hilarious-hilarity ensues" - but I thought it got a lot better towards the end of the season when he meets the show's version of Jessica and the episodes that followed. I hope it gets a second season.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought the Don Barris episode was great. I love when Maron has on people from his past, love the whole Kinison thing.

e: Goddamn, yesterday's live episode is outstanding

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 6, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I can't think of an episode I would skip harder.

I really liked this week's episodes. Simon Pegg was already on Nerdist a while ago but he's entertaining, and Alex Guarnaschelli was really funny too.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Michael McKean and Catherine O'Hara this week. That is loving awesome.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw him a few weeks ago and it seems like it basically boils down to: she kept pressing him to do things (like move in together, and get engaged) and he was resistant but kept giving in. The most recent pressing issue was getting her pregnant and he seemed REALLY resistant to that (plus setting a wedding date, renovating or moving house) and I think he eventually decided that he didn't want to do any of those things and broke it off.

Happy Hippo posted:

What is this sex fest?

She was a fan who emailed him out of the blue and suggested they meet up and have sex, and they did, in like, Portland. It was semi-covered in an episode of the TV show. Then she moved to LA (nothing to do with him... apparently) and kept bugging him until he agreed to start seeing her. That's pretty one sided because I only know his side, but yeah. The relationship grew out of "I'm a big fan, want to spend a weekend together having sex?"

Also if you can find a Conan appearance from a few years ago, Marc tells a story about a woman texting him a picture of her vagina. That's also the same person.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

As someone who used to watch a lot of independent wrestling and have known who CM Punk is since like 2003 or 2004, I can say that his family has always sounded insane even when he was making $20 wrestling in a gym.

Edgar Wright was a fun interview.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Groucho Marxist posted:

Isn't he straight edge because his parents are terrible, abusive alcoholics?

I don't think his mom is but yeah his dad is an alcoholic.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Larry King was boring but I don't care about him so that might be part of it. It's worth listening to the start of it though because King thought their interview was at 10, Maron had 10:15, so when Maron showed up (with his recorder already on) you can hear Larry King in the foyer saying "You're LATE" and being an old curmudgeon, and then Maron talking to himself while he waits alone in a living room.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Yup I would add that one too. Isn't that also the episode where Marc talks about breaking off his engagement?

Yes it is.

Of the last 50, some of my favorites were: CM Punk, Jim Breuer, Simon Majumdar, Natasha Lyonne, Catherine O'Hara, Michael McKean, Cheech and Chong, and Iggy Pop.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been barreling through Welcome to Night Vale all week but I'm starting to catch up on my other podcasts and I listened to Ken Marino and Will Ferrell today. They were both solid episodes. I still love Ferrell's briefcase story.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Solid live episode today. Jon Wurster is consistently funny and Scott Aukerman is great with Maron because they just give each other poo poo (kinda like Maron and Michael Ian Black).

Still haven't listened to Yakov Smirnoff yet.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

substitute posted:

I just watched Morgan's Irish Goodbye on Netflix last night, so I'm excited to hear she was on the show.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/195138

I'm halfway through the podcast but I definitely recommend Murphy's special on Netflix, it was hilarious.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Allan Stephen episode was great. If you're interested to learn more about the comedy strike there is a great book called "I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-Up Comedy's Golden Era" by William Knoedelseder that covers it pretty well.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The fact that Marc thought he booked Kevin McDonald (Kids in the Hall) and instead booked Kevin MacDonald (director of The King of Scotland and other films) and just decided to wing it is admirable and hilarious.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Agreed, but I love the interviews anyway. It helps if you've read any of the books about that time, like this one which has been referenced a few times on WTF including in the Bursky episode. It gives you a rough timeline which helps when the interviewees jump all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I really enjoyed the RuPaul episode. I really enjoy RuPaul in general, but I thought it was a good example of Marc interviewing someone he knows nothing about and managing to handle it well.

• Locked thread