Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Cervixalot posted:

How is the Penn Jillette interview? Worth checking out?
Fantastic. As Riptor said, there is a Nerdist one that is also fascinating. He's just a really interesting guy who has lived a crazy life. The Marc Maron episode made me understand his political position more, even though I still disagree with it.

The one with Norm MacDonald was also really good. He's always been one of my favourite comics who never seemed to get the big break he deserved. Marc getting him to talk about his gambling problem was kind of shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

mcvey posted:

:stare: You sure you're talking about the right Norm MacDonald?
He wrote two box office bombs, and had several attempts at comedy shows, most of which failed miserably. The sitcom dragged along for three seasons because a studio exec liked him and never really made him any money or was given a decent budget. In fact, he only was as successful as he was because of a few select people who were fans of his work. His "memorable" appearances on Conan were actually highly contentious because Conan thought he was funny but studio execs thought he was a drag, especially since he never had anything to promote. Internet nerds realize how clever his roast of Bob Saget was, but Comedy Central originally planned to cut it out of the broadcast because they thought it was so bad, and nobody in the audience at the time got it either. Hell, he even mentions in that Maron interview that most of the other comedians on that stage didn't find it funny either.

I guess compared to a lot of other SNL alumni he probably was pretty successful in the grand scheme of things, and I'm probably overstating it. I just meant that both his writing and stand-up were far better than he ever got respect for. He's now pretty much just doing stand-up and he doesn't draw very large crowds.

Speaking of which, his stand-up special in unedited form is currently on Netflix and it is incredibly funny.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 26, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I love the end of the second Louis CK episode which is essentially him as a friend calling Marc out on his passive agressive attitude being a direct contributor to his feelings that all his comedian colleagues abandoning him.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Speaking of "biography" - Marc Maron vs. Fiona Apple. :munch:
Jesus Christ, I thought you were kidding about that. Looking forward to listening to that, because it will be either great or a train wreck. I feel like her personality and his are going to clash.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

jyrka posted:

I don't know anything about Fiona Apple. What would the problem have been with her?
She's probably as messed up relationship-wise as Marc is (at least going by her lyrics) so they might have found common ground there.

But she also tends to be incredibly serious all the time so it might have turned out to be really boring. Also, she has a history of being extremely cold or confrontational if she feels someone isn't being genuine with her. If Marc had one of those interviews where he was incredibly fawning and asking inane questions or conversely tried to play armchair psychologist and hammer on about one moment in her life, I could see things go downhill really fast.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

That Mike Doughty interview was kind of a shocker for me. I know him as the guy who made those Soul Coughing records I liked in high school followed by making some decent pop albums now. Apparently he hated every moment of being in that band and the people he was working with but did it to escape his terrible youth, followed by being an addict.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Isn't it really a mix of both? Marc clearly has difficulties dealing with others, and seems extremely resentful of anyone who has been more successful than him, but at the same time Joe Rogan is both a hypocrite and not anywhere near as intelligent or subversive as he thinks he is.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Every time a podcast starts going off about PC-culture I just turn it straight off because it's usually a bunch of white dudes deciding what people should be allowed to be offended by(spoiler: it's only things that would offend white people(males))
The annoying thing about Maron is that it clearly depends on whether or not he likes the comedian or not personally to determine whether or not it's an issue worth challenging. Gallagher is on and he spends the whole time trying to attack his act as being insensitive, but then Patrice O'Neal gets a completely free pass on the misogynist parts of his routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, I'm in no way implying that Gallagher didn't completely deserve what he got, or that he's not a bitter old sadsack. I just mean that Maron seems to be wildly inconsistent with his beliefs and attitudes, which I guess isn't exactly that much of a revelation.

• Locked thread