Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Does anyone know how to disable this sidebar search from the highlight and right click menu? I've disabled every relevant flag I can find with no change.

While I am here - holy poo poo is this thing change is the worst. Not only is the sidebar any annoying thing I never want to interact with, these little results are harder to work with and don't let you middle click results to open in a new tab. The only way to open any of these results is one at a time, each opening over the last thing.

I am probably irrationally angry about this, but seriously what a garbage change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
search-web-in-side-panel in flags
why yes, they keep renaming flags just to gently caress with us for not liking their garbo UI changes

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

sauer kraut posted:

search-web-in-side-panel in flags
why yes, they keep renaming flags just to gently caress with us for not liking their garbo UI changes

No dice!

I've got 5 other side panel things disabled too. Stop being bad Google.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WTFBEES posted:

No dice!

I've got 5 other side panel things disabled too. Stop being bad Google.

Someone tell me how to disable this loving thing that just started showing up in my chrome

Selecting text and right clicking to search used to pop open a new tab. I want that behavior back

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I tried those flags and they didn’t do poo poo.

gently caress this loving poo poo, I just imported all my poo poo into loving EDGE and put in a tech ticket to uninstall Chrome on my work PC.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tried those flags and they didn’t do poo poo.

gently caress this loving poo poo, I just imported all my poo poo into loving EDGE and put in a tech ticket to uninstall Chrome on my work PC.

Just FYI, you've moved from one trashfire to another, imo.

If you want a Chromium browser, use Brave if you're on Windows and Arc if you're on macOS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I mean I asked for Firefox but the it guy said no, use edge or put in a ticket for chrome. I asked why and he shrugged and said it’s the policy.

At least edge isn’t doing that dumb as gently caress side window search thing by default. And after spending a few minutes in the options to turn off all this extra bullshit the browser itself seems fine.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 10, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nah, Edge just regularly hijacks your rightclicks, when you selected something to then "Search the web for..." because of that annoying "Search with Bing" popover.

Also, this dumb browser caused me to buy a new mouse, because it made me think a microswitch was broken, but it actually sporadically opens a link twice in two tabs. I don't have Parkinsons. Yet.

And you need to set some flag to hide that loving Bing button that'll open a flyout toolbar whenever you accidentally graze it with your cursor.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

And you need to set some flag to hide that loving Bing button that'll open a flyout toolbar whenever you accidentally graze it with your cursor.

You used to have to hide it through Group Policy, but there's a regular setting to hide the ugly Bing button now (which, lol, you can't use the setting search to find).
Settings > Sidebar > App specific settings > Bing Chat > Show Bing Chat

Edge was, for a brief shining moment, very close to actually being the best browser available; but Microsoft couldn't exhibit an ounce of self-restraint to resist piling bullshit onto it and now it's a browser you should never ever touch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I went into the normal settings and disabled the side bar, the bing chat bar, and all the popover/hover menus. Seems to work like a normal browser ought to work for now. The only thing is the right click menu is a bit cluttered and I wish I could edit what shows up but oh well. It’s better than chrome making it use that loving side window for search and having no way to get rid of it.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I read through the past page and this one to check, and didn't see anything. Has anyone had terrible Chrome performance the past month or two? I am on the stable release, and an update a bit ago made the entire experience turn to poo poo. What I mean is I have a bunch of hangups for 5-15 seconds when switching tabs, i'll have videos freeze for a few seconds, and just general stuttering when browsing that is specific to Chrome. I keep around 20 tabs open, and have had that many before this issue cropped up as well with no issues. I have 64gb ram, a 3070, i've tried both enabling and disabling GPU acceleration, memory saver disabled and enabled, checked google for fixes, and generally came up with nothing. I run a 3 monitor setup and have an instance of Chrome running on each (One twitch or youtube videos, one SA/Reddit, and one watching thinkorswim or my investing accounts)
Just really frustrated I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. I have no problems running games, or anything else that'd make me thing it's a computer issue rather than a Chrome issue

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't noticed performance issues, but I have had a crash or two per day starting sometime in the last week or two.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I haven't seen Chrome crashes or anything, but I have seen particularly annoying performance issues (usually during initial rendering of a new page load) that hang not just Chrome, but the entire Windows video system to the point that even the mouse pointer stops moving for a short bit while Chrome finishes whatever hell its unleashing onto the GPU.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Today I impulse bought a Chromebook for my 3rd grader. It was this one, from Costco. At $229.99 did I get ripped off badly enough that I should return it? If so what should I buy him instead? He just needs it to run gain baseline computer proficiency and run whatever the school district recommends.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stitecin posted:

Today I impulse bought a Chromebook for my 3rd grader. It was this one, from Costco. At $229.99 did I get ripped off badly enough that I should return it? If so what should I buy him instead? He just needs it to run gain baseline computer proficiency and run whatever the school district recommends.

I had basically a worse version of this same chromebook, and it was fine. I don't know what kind of work he's expected to do on it, but it can handle video playback and operate web apps without issue. The chassis is basically all plastic, but it seems reinforced because it's pretty solid. The keyboard isn't the worst either. In my opinion, it's probably the best of the sub-$300 chromebooks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 22, 2023

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Thanks, I'll keep it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DoubleT2172 posted:

I read through the past page and this one to check, and didn't see anything. Has anyone had terrible Chrome performance the past month or two? I am on the stable release, and an update a bit ago made the entire experience turn to poo poo. What I mean is I have a bunch of hangups for 5-15 seconds when switching tabs, i'll have videos freeze for a few seconds, and just general stuttering when browsing that is specific to Chrome. I keep around 20 tabs open, and have had that many before this issue cropped up as well with no issues. I have 64gb ram, a 3070, i've tried both enabling and disabling GPU acceleration, memory saver disabled and enabled, checked google for fixes, and generally came up with nothing. I run a 3 monitor setup and have an instance of Chrome running on each (One twitch or youtube videos, one SA/Reddit, and one watching thinkorswim or my investing accounts)
Just really frustrated I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. I have no problems running games, or anything else that'd make me thing it's a computer issue rather than a Chrome issue

YES! I'm seeing the same poo poo. I've got 23 tabs open right now, and the hanging is killing me. If I close out of everything Chrome it's OK for a while, but it's still not the way it was a couple months ago. Changing YouTube videos is the worst for me, there's like this red bar under the address bar and it can take 10 to 15 seconds to load the next video. I've uninstalled every extension I have except for iCloud passwords. Nothing else has this problem.

It's been so annoying I've moved a lot of my browsing to Edge which doesn't have this problem right now. I honestly thought it was this computer I'm on. It's an old as hell Optiplex with an ancient i7-2600 in it, but it's just my screw around on the internet computer on my work desk.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

skipdogg posted:

YES! I'm seeing the same poo poo. I've got 23 tabs open right now, and the hanging is killing me. If I close out of everything Chrome it's OK for a while, but it's still not the way it was a couple months ago. Changing YouTube videos is the worst for me, there's like this red bar under the address bar and it can take 10 to 15 seconds to load the next video. I've uninstalled every extension I have except for iCloud passwords. Nothing else has this problem.

It's been so annoying I've moved a lot of my browsing to Edge which doesn't have this problem right now. I honestly thought it was this computer I'm on. It's an old as hell Optiplex with an ancient i7-2600 in it, but it's just my screw around on the internet computer on my work desk.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully someone figures it out soon, it's such a pain in the rear end to constantly have these hang ups

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Google Chrome 2023: we renamed FLoC to "privacy sandbox" so you wouldn't notice

quote:

Chrome has some controls for this built into the browser now. Just go to the Chrome Settings, then "Privacy and Security," then "Ad privacy" (alternatively, paste "chrome://settings/adPrivacy" into the address bar). From there, you can click through to each of the three individual pages and turn off the top checkbox, and in a mere six clicks, you can presumably turn off the ad platform. If you leave it on for a while, you can check out the "Ad topics" page, where Google will show you what ads Chrome things you would like to see. This list gets sent to advertisers when you visit a page.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

Thanks for this. I just checked, and I already have all 3 turned off. Guess I'm gonna have to check every update, to make sure they didn't turn them back on...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't have a Mac, and it's not on Windows yet, but anyone using Arc browser? If so, how is it in comparison to all these annoyances?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Klyith posted:

This was a good bit from the article:

quote:

...Google argues that there has to be a tracking alternative—you can't just not be spied on. The Electronic Frontier Foundation also argued this when it called Google's FLoC a "terrible idea," saying "[Google's] framing is based on a false premise that we have to choose between 'old tracking' and 'new tracking.' It’s not either-or. Instead of re-inventing the tracking wheel, we should imagine a better world without the myriad problems of targeted ads."

There must be tracking! There must! --giant corporation that depends on advertising for revenue

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wouldn't ungoogled chromium be a good alternative for the privacy minded? Unless all the ungoogling the app does is remove the GUIs to disable / limit Google's powers of peeping over your shoulder?

Though I would imagine even the guy who writes ungoogled chromium's root that other people branch off of can't be sure he's removing all of Google's shenanigans.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Binary Badger posted:

Wouldn't ungoogled chromium be a good alternative for the privacy minded? Unless all the ungoogling the app does is remove the GUIs to disable / limit Google's powers of peeping over your shoulder?

Though I would imagine even the guy who writes ungoogled chromium's root that other people branch off of can't be sure he's removing all of Google's shenanigans.

Ungoogle chromium, vivaldi, and brave are all disabling the API. (Vivaldi has it hard disabled so even if you try to turn it on using chrome flags, it still doesn't work.)

I dunno what Edge will do -- since "Topics" is very much designed to work with google's ad system, MS might do the same? Or maybe they'll leave it. But if you're using Edge, you probably don't care about privacy. Edge is the only browser that's worse than chrome in that respect.

I will say a positive thing about google: they do make this stuff easy to work with by keeping everything very modular. A vivaldi dev said their change was fairly minimal -- just deactivating the starting point for the API (thus leaving all that code in but safely inert). That's why I'm fairly sanguine about the idea that vivaldi etc will be able to keep manifest v2 / good adblock around after whenever google finally removes it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully someone figures it out soon, it's such a pain in the rear end to constantly have these hang ups

I ran across some posts about Windows Defender causing issues with Google Chrome. I just installed the most recent Windows Updates and fingers crossed but Chrome is back to being snappy again.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...ion/m-p/3849847

I checked my Defender platform in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform and made sure it was the latest at 4.18.23080.2006, and installed todays cumulative update and things are back to normal.

edit: OK I spoke too soon. Things started sucking again. Fired up wireshark, saw a bunch of QUIC traffic. Interesting, didn't know Chrome used that now. On a whim I disabled QUIC in the chome://flags and relaunched. Things have been much better

edit2: It's better, but still slows down sometimes depending on how many tabs I have open. This is annoying as hell.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 22, 2023

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is there a way to get Chrome to show the full title on tab hover again? It used to but now it's just truncating it in order to show how much memory a tab is using.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
can anyone recommend an extension or script to force this to just always be on?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone posted this... in the PYF GIF thread, I think?

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix videos better - somethingawful.com
// @namespace   https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @match       https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @version     0.2
// @author      Wheany, BlankSystemDaemon
// @description Sets embedded video size caps, auto-enables controls, embeds webms, sets volume to 20%, and prevents videos from looping. Last edited: 6/19/2023, 15:00:42 UTC
// ==/UserScript==

function processVideos() {
	[...document.getElementsByTagName('video')].forEach((v) => {
		v.removeAttribute('loop');
		v.pause();
		Object.assign(v, {
			currentTime: 0,
            		controls: true,
			volume: 0.2,
			muted: false
		});
		Object.assign(v.style, {
			maxWidth: '100%',
			maxHeight: '100%'
		});
	})
}

// required for dynamic webapp pages that modify the page with javascript
const observer = new MutationObserver(processVideos);
observer.observe(document.body, {
	childList: true,
	subtree: true
});

// handles simple pages like SA forums where the page structure doesn't change dynamically after being loaded
if(document.readyState === "interactive") {
	processVideos();
} else {
	document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', processVideos);
}
Sadly, it doesn't work 100% of the time, but I think that's just Chrome being Chrome. It works close enough that I'm fine with the occasional not working.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
poo poo yeah that does exactly what I want, thanks

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I guess everyone is getting the "please don't use adblock" popup now when you go to youtube?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I guess everyone is getting the "please don't use adblock" popup now when you go to youtube?

I was getting it with every video a day or so ago.
I had a chrome update waiting for a few days, did a Ublock update then relaunched chrome and its gone away for me.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So before I just switch to Firefox, figured I'd ask for some help.

I have two monitors, and I tend to have youtube playing on my secondary monitor. Chrome at some point in the last 6-12 months decided to start getting extremely choppy when playing youtube videos when I'm not focusing on the window. I've googled it a bit and the issue seems to be tied to hardware acceleration, which seems to be accurate - when I disable it, the problem goes away. It seems to be more of a problem when I'm focusing on another chrome window compared to playing a game/etc.

The issue is that web games and several other things I do on Chrome really *do need hardware acceleration* so disabling it isn't really a feasible fix. Any other options for dealing with this? I generally prefer Chrome over FF but this is a reasonably common irritation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone else unable to properly view HDR content on Youtube anymore? A few weeks ago, things were just fine. But while youtube still recognizes that I'm in HDR mode and gives me HDR options for content, it now tone maps that content to SDR on my HDR display. This is also happening with Edge, but I figure maybe it's a chomium thing, or maybe Windows hosed something up at some point. HDR games are still properly displayed in HDR for me, as are movies viewed through an HDR-capable media player. I couldn't find anything in the chrome settings or chrome://flags that seem relevant. Anyone know what might have gone wrong here?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Ahh poo poo.
It came back, but now it has a timer before I can close it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Using Edge with UBlock, and Adguard Home as ad-blocking resolver. No bitching yet. Knocking on wood.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Chrome with ublock it gave me the timed warnings, then counted down 3 remaining videos and then fully blocked all playback.

Firefox with ublock and so far nothing. There's no world in which I pay for youtube premium or watch ads on youtube so, I guess if they get really insistent I'll just stop watching youtube.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Guess I'm not using Chrome with youtube anymore

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone else unable to properly view HDR content on Youtube anymore? A few weeks ago, things were just fine. But while youtube still recognizes that I'm in HDR mode and gives me HDR options for content, it now tone maps that content to SDR on my HDR display. This is also happening with Edge, but I figure maybe it's a chomium thing, or maybe Windows hosed something up at some point. HDR games are still properly displayed in HDR for me, as are movies viewed through an HDR-capable media player. I couldn't find anything in the chrome settings or chrome://flags that seem relevant. Anyone know what might have gone wrong here?

I downgraded my chrome version and HDR video playback worked until chrome updated again, then it stopped working. So at some point between version 102 and 118, HDR playback broke for me. I can't find anyone else talking about this, though. I don't get it. I've been trying everything and I can't figure out why it doesn't work.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This seems to be blocking the Youtube timer popup.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-for-youtube-ad-bl/lagdcjmbchphhndlbpfajelapcodekll

Found in this reddit thread which has other extensions being listed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/171yvrv/they_added_a_damn_timer_for_the_adblock_is_not/

I tried that first one though and it seems to be working fine for me, for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is this the thread for complaining about Google's application suite (Drive, Photos, Calendar etc.)? Need some help understanding how I can download 800 MB of pictures off of Photos, then delete them off of Photos and still have the same amount of remaining storage space in my Google Drive.