Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does it go into a Recycle bin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Purge cache and update all filters should do it for now with vanilla Chrome/uBlock Origin.
Let's hope YT doesn't start an adblocker-blocker arms race like Twitch :ohdear:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 13, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

Does it go into a Recycle bin?

It does, but Google claims that files in Trash don't count towards storage during their 60-day purgatory. I suppose they could just be lying to me.

There was also an instance where I downloaded about 700 MB of pictures, then when I went to delete them Google claimed that I'd be getting back about 12 MB in space. I can see the size of the .zip file that these pictures were in, please stop lying to my face!

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

C-Euro posted:

It does, but Google claims that files in Trash don't count towards storage during their 60-day purgatory. I suppose they could just be lying to me.

There was also an instance where I downloaded about 700 MB of pictures, then when I went to delete them Google claimed that I'd be getting back about 12 MB in space. I can see the size of the .zip file that these pictures were in, please stop lying to my face!

I recently did this for a family member and had the same experience. The issue seems to be that really old stuff doesn't count towards the cap (likely grandfathered in before the cap?). Only newer/recent stuff is actually taking up account space and counting against the cap.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

So before I just switch to Firefox, figured I'd ask for some help.

I have two monitors, and I tend to have youtube playing on my secondary monitor. Chrome at some point in the last 6-12 months decided to start getting extremely choppy when playing youtube videos when I'm not focusing on the window. I've googled it a bit and the issue seems to be tied to hardware acceleration, which seems to be accurate - when I disable it, the problem goes away. It seems to be more of a problem when I'm focusing on another chrome window compared to playing a game/etc.

The issue is that web games and several other things I do on Chrome really *do need hardware acceleration* so disabling it isn't really a feasible fix. Any other options for dealing with this? I generally prefer Chrome over FF but this is a reasonably common irritation.

Update, never found a fix for this. Just cutover to doing youtube on Firefox. Weird if that ends up being the thing that makes me drop chrome.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Now youtube is blocking Brave browser, does Firefox + Ublock Orgin still work?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SA Forums Poster posted:

Now youtube is blocking Brave browser, does Firefox + Ublock Orgin still work?

This isn’t a thing, I’m currently watching YouTube in Brave.

Yes Firefox + ublock origin still works, but so does Chrome.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

wooger posted:

This isn’t a thing, I’m currently watching YouTube in Brave.

Yes Firefox + ublock origin still works, but so does Chrome.

It seems like its off and on. I was completely blocked out of Youtube with chrome, but this morning its working again. :confused:

e: after watching about 4 or 5 videos, Chrome is back to being blocked for me. Brave too. It might be that I'm logged in the same account with both browsers?
Brave on my cell phone works, but not on my desktop.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 14, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It seems like its off and on. I was completely blocked out of Youtube with chrome, but this morning its working again. :confused:

e: after watching about 4 or 5 videos, Chrome is back to being blocked for me. Brave too. It might be that I'm logged in the same account with both browsers?

No, google is updating their adblock-detecting script multiple times a day, and ublock is counter-updating just as often. The default wait time on ublock to refresh the filters is several hours. So it's just a very stupid hamster-wheel race that Google seems to think this is worth their time.

I don't use Brave, but their internal adblocker may *also* be getting picked up by Youtube's scripts. So you have two things to update the blocking filters for -- ublock and the internal one.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Klyith posted:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Thank you, that worked.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

Has anyone suggested NewPipe+SponsorBlock yet? It works great on Android, and although you can't actually share your important opinion, it doesn't require an update every fifteen minutes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now I'm getting a message on YouTube even with ublock disabled on that domain.

This is getting old real fast.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If you gently caress with doubleclick.net in any way you'll get that warning afaik.
I found out I had it redirected in my HOSTS file for many years :ohdear:

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Using firefox, keeping ublock up to date and following

reddit posted:

youtube's been slowly rolling out a new anti-adblock policy that can't be bypassed with the usual software like uBlock Origin and Pi-Hole out of the gate

BUT, if you're a uBlock Origin user (or use an adblocker with a similar cosmetics modifier), you can add these commands in the uBlock dashboard (under My Filters) to get rid of it!

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)

youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)

youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])

youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

has been working for me so far. Had to purge ublock caches after setting it but it's been good since.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just got the "video player will be blocked after 3 videos" message. Warming up youtube-dl.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If it's doubleclick specifically then lol. I have never unblocked that domain and never will

I haven't gotten it yet on the 1 pc I watch youtube on. :iiam:

e:

West SAAB Story posted:

Has anyone suggested NewPipe+SponsorBlock yet? It works great on Android, and although you can't actually share your important opinion, it doesn't require an update every fifteen minutes.

Newpipe is great. I have just hard disabled my youtube app since all it does is get in the way of launching links in newpipe

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

grah posted:

Using firefox, keeping ublock up to date and following

has been working for me so far. Had to purge ublock caches after setting it but it's been good since.
official advice is "do not use random custom filters" because youtube is updating their detection multiple times per day and the custom filters you posted are 3 months old

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I think its happening randomly and people doing things like adding new extensions and thinking its working but it may not be.
I was getting the warning a lot and tried different addons, but stopped trying and have just been using Ublock origin.
My first warning was on the 5th and I got a lot of warnings for about a week, but the past week since I stopped messing with it and I have gotten like 2 maybe 3 warnings tops, and I use YT a ton.
But I havent heard of anyone outright being blocked from using YT at this point.
Just warnings with timers that you can X out of.

I'm sticking with Ublock and seeing what happens.
Adblock has trended on Twitter once or twice and the general consensus was that Youtube can just gently caress off.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I think Youtube might being using cookies too. Youtube only works while in incognito mode for me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So far I've found that using this specific ad-blocker just for youtube instead of uBlock hasn't given me any further warnings. It doesn't block the banners and it loads the ad (but doesn't display it) for a few seconds and then auto skips so youtube doesn't seem to be detecting it so far, but the downside is you still get the banners and you still get interrupted for a few seconds.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think I was actually blocked from using YouTube now. I only disabled uBlock and not some other extension that happened to include an adblocker and once they were both disabled YouTube worked, albeit with ads. Hopefully someone will come up with a permanent solution or their enthusiasm for this project will peter out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Well dont I feel silly, here I am saying that i'm just going to ride it out until they actually start to block people and I just got fully blocked from watching any video.
Not a popup, embedded into the video with no amount of refreshing, or restarting browser to let me watch it.

Wait.
Opened Ublock dashboard, purged caches and updated it and back to normal.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Has YT found a way to counter the 300IQ strat of right click video -> open in incognito window yet?
So far that's been 100% nag free for me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

One of the last Chrome updates added padding to the menus/address.
For instance, my right click menu in Chrome now has to mouse scroll to see all options.
Is there a way to fix this?

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 20, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Assepoester posted:

So far I've found that using this specific ad-blocker just for youtube instead of uBlock hasn't given me any further warnings. It doesn't block the banners and it loads the ad (but doesn't display it) for a few seconds and then auto skips so youtube doesn't seem to be detecting it so far, but the downside is you still get the banners and you still get interrupted for a few seconds.

That worked for me when youtube was acting up today, thank you.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

OgNar posted:

One of the last Chrome updates added padding to the menus/address.
For instance, my right click menu in Chrome now has to mouse scroll to see all options.
Is there a way to fix this?

The only possible lead I found was searching for Refresh 2023 in chrome://flags and disabling both of the results & restarting.
It only seems to happen when you have too many plugins putting their own lines in that menu.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

The only possible lead I found was searching for Refresh 2023 in chrome://flags and disabling both of the results & restarting.
It only seems to happen when you have too many plugins putting their own lines in that menu.

That fixed it, thanks a ton.
I and someone else on discord were having this problem since one of the last updates and had been bothered with it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Saw this from Ublock Origin on Reddit.
Probably a good place to look for any future Youtube adblocking problems.

"Disclaimer: YouTube changes their detection scripts twice a day, which means that even if you got a filter update earlier today, another one might be required soon. There's no way around this if you want to remain logged in."

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/17j6ygs/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_29_2023_mega/

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ive never posted in here but the new chrome UI is ugly enough that i needed somewhere to write that down

ty

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Worf posted:

ive never posted in here but the new chrome UI is ugly enough that i needed somewhere to write that down

ty

I basically came here for this, the little tabs search in the top left is dumb and I want to get rid of it. The padding on the right click menus sucks total rear end.

Knock on wood youtube hasn't rolled out whatever fucks with my ad blockers yet so that's a fight for me to have another day (perhaps switching to FF?). Anyway if anyone comes across a way to roll back the chrome UI at all I'll be checking back in for a few.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

The padding on the right click menus sucks total rear end.

This worked for me

sauer kraut posted:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That worked for me when youtube was acting up today, thank you.
Just a heads up, it took them a while but it looks like youtube is detecting it now, so it seems like they've finally gotten far enough down to detecting add ons that still let ads load but try to mute and skip them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm doing DNS filtering via Adguard Home and am running UBlock. Still no bickering from Youtube so far. Being in Europe helps maybe, given all the recent claims of adblocker detection being supposedly illegal under EU law.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seems a long shot but is there any way to easily browse cached images/gifs? Someone posted a clip of the holy mountain recently where some guy was putting on his shoes and stepped outside of his cabin while pigs ran around him before the clip ends. I remembered it out of nowhere and desperately want to remember the context of why it was posted in the first place, but I cannot find it in my history at all which suggests to me that it was probably embedded in the website and I was wondering if there's any easy way to find this info. I am pathetically bad at tech stuff so I'm sure there is but any help is insanely appreciated

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Easy to browse, no.
Chrome doesn't keep clear names like butt_tiddies.jpg, it's a huge directory full of random files without the 3 letter type suffix.
You can find it here C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1 (or something else)\Cache\Cache_Data
Maybe you can use an image browser to raw dog every file in a slideshow or something :unsmith:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sauer kraut posted:

Chrome doesn't keep clear names like butt_tiddies.jpg, it's a huge directory full of random files without the 3 letter type suffix.
You can find it here C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1 (or something else)\Cache\Cache_Data
Maybe you can use an image browser to raw dog every file in a slideshow or something :unsmith:

Can't even do that! It's not just that they don't put the .jpg on the file name. All those files are fixed-size data blocks, so our butt_tiddies.jpg is probably chopped up into many different files.

But you can use a program to reconstruct everything.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chrome_cache_view.html
https://github.com/felixrieseberg/chrome-cachetool

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Would anyone have an idea why trying to use the search bar in settings would give me a STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR? This is one of a few things my computer is doing strangely after putting in a new fan, and nothing else.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Would anyone have an idea why trying to use the search bar in settings would give me a STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR? This is one of a few things my computer is doing strangely after putting in a new fan, and nothing else.

Can you set up a fresh profile and try it with that? Bonus points for disabling all extensions.
I don't have a crystal ball, but that sounds like something got corrupted in the bowels of your profile.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sauer kraut posted:

Can you set up a fresh profile and try it with that? Bonus points for disabling all extensions.
I don't have a crystal ball, but that sounds like something got corrupted in the bowels of your profile.

I can try that tonight. But using my profile on a a couple laptops I have around is not making the same issue. There may be something just strange with the computer and worth it to try a system restore. Because the same crash is happening when I try to go to the front page of Wikipedia, but if I go to an article directly, it doesn't crash. if I keep that tab open eventually the computer will get incredibly sluggish and any program I have open stops responding. If I force the programs closed, it will eventually right itself after a few minutes. Same thing happens on start-up occasionally now.

edit: wikipedia also crashes in edge but not firefox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Edit: Removed overreaction. I just needed to update some extensions after an new version. Maybe I should turn off auto-updates for Chrome. This new UI is fugly. Go into chrome://flags/ and disable anything with 2023.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 14, 2023