Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ohhh interesting, so it's really just a bundled plugin then huh

EDIT: I don't even know if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone know what the hell this is?

That blob appears on my Gmail page all the time, it's always in a different place on the screen when I load Gmail (sometimes it's a while before I spot it, like if it's over my list of emails) and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. It's like a little shaded circle with a drop shadow, and I just noticed that it blinks if I hit the x key while I'm typing.

What does it want??

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!
Have you tried clearing your cache? Does it appear regardless of the theme you use?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Amazing extensions inbound

Check Plus for Gmail™ - It pings when you get a new email, has a window come up in the bottom left where you can mark stuff as read automatically, and you can click the icon and see your unreads without making a new tab. Turn off the god awful voice things that will ruin videos though, and find a set of icons that you like.

Imgur - Quality of life significantly improved, just get an Imgur account and rejoice as uploading stuff is easy again. You can even take Gyazo screens, right click em, then rehost em.

Ultimate Chrome Flags - Shitloads of useful info about a website right next to the favorites star.

Google Translate - Google Translate made even better.

IE Tab - For when you're visiting websites from the 90's

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TwoKnives posted:

Have you tried clearing your cache? Does it appear regardless of the theme you use?

I haven't cleared my cache yet but I did some theme checks, and it appears in a couple (including the standard theme). It's not always there immediately but it shows up later

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Started having a weird problem with Chrome today. When I close a youtube tab, Chrome freezes. I have to close the whole window, then have the Windows dialogue pop up and tell me it's not responding. When I re-load it, it gives me the message it didn't shut itself down properly.

I have it set to reload all the tabs it had loaded when it closed, and the youtube tab comes back, but now I can close it and it won't freeze...but if I had any other youtube tabs open, it will freeze when they close...any new ones I open will cause it to freeze when closed.

I've tried other video sites, and so far only youtube is causing this. A reboot did not help.

Edit: Chrome version 16.0.912.77 m, Windows 7 professional, 64 bit, w/ SP1.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Started having a weird problem with Chrome today. When I close a youtube tab, Chrome freezes. I have to close the whole window, then have the Windows dialogue pop up and tell me it's not responding. When I re-load it, it gives me the message it didn't shut itself down properly.

I have it set to reload all the tabs it had loaded when it closed, and the youtube tab comes back, but now I can close it and it won't freeze...but if I had any other youtube tabs open, it will freeze when they close...any new ones I open will cause it to freeze when closed.

I've tried other video sites, and so far only youtube is causing this. A reboot did not help.

Same here.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yep same problem for me. WTF Google!

ketchup_burrito
May 20, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Started having a weird problem with Chrome today. When I close a youtube tab, Chrome freezes.

I had this problem earlier, but it seemed to go away on its own now? Can stuff like that be hotfixed without me knowing?

For reference, users have posted similar issues here:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=6c5a1d16ad175319&hl=en

KaiserPanda
Jan 24, 2008
Huh, I came to the thread to ask for an adblock alternative since I thought it was causing the crashes - just started using it yesterday. I'm getting the same freezes, unfortunate. I would still like to find a different blocker, I don't really care for blocking every ad, I just don't like flash objects and fancy whizbangs loading all over the place. In Opera I had an addon that made flash objects only load when clicked on, it was lovely.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KaiserPanda posted:

In Opera I had an addon that made flash objects only load when clicked on, it was lovely.

chrome://flags

scroll down a little and enable "Click to play"

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
This might be off-topic, but the only time I ever use screen capture tools is when using Chrome...

I used to use Jing and Screenpresso, however I stopped using them mainly due to how sluggish they are. Gyazo looks nice, but a lot of the images I take are not meant to be shared. What is everyone's tool of choice?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've been using Greenshot. It's pretty ok. No fancy features like uploading to sharing sites or anything.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone gotten tab syncing to work? I enabled on both my computers and no luck.

For screen capture I use imgur, it can take screenshots of pages and auto-upload them to imgur

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ehoopddfhgaehhmphfcooacjdpmbjlao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think it's been said before, but yeah, Chrome's spell-check is terrible.

I misspelled havoc as havok...guess what was not an option to correct havok to?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

kri kri posted:

Anyone gotten tab syncing to work? I enabled on both my computers and no luck.

For screen capture I use imgur, it can take screenshots of pages and auto-upload them to imgur

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ehoopddfhgaehhmphfcooacjdpmbjlao

You'll need a extension to do this, something along these lines: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jecnodmghjaeejdkfinaoljboheaeaog

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

You'll need a extension to do this, something along these lines: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jecnodmghjaeejdkfinaoljboheaeaog

But google has tab sync in about :flags that I want to use

ketchup_burrito
May 20, 2008
Started having Flash problems again today so I've gone to the beta release (17.0.963.44 beta-m). Fixed my crashing issue, and also made adblock work again for Chrome. Bookmarks sync is still a piece of poo poo though =/

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Adblock does not seem to work anymore in Chrome. I re-installed to no avail. This is the first time I've seen ads in years; good god they're annoying.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I'm on the latest version and it's working for me.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shogunner posted:

I'm on the latest version and it's working for me.

Weird, could you tell me if http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ has ads for you? I see ridiculous flash ads when I visit now, but do not on Firefox with adblock.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I too am having this problem and it's really annoying.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The youtube crashing thing is indeed super-annoying.

A workaround for now is just to go to any other page (like google or about:blank) before closing the tab. It will successfully load the new page and then won't crash when you kill the tab.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Rand alPaul posted:

Weird, could you tell me if http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ has ads for you? I see ridiculous flash ads when I visit now, but do not on Firefox with adblock.

Nope. A big empty space where I suppose flash ads would be though.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

Only ad I can see on there is on the video player.

But yeah, adblock has been randomly letting ads through for me as well. I've tried reinstalling the extension, but it doesn't help at all. You can block the ads by using the "easy create filter" feature, but that's a pain on sites with lots of ads.

And I've been getting the Youtube crash as well. It even crashed when I tried clicking a link in the "recommended" table that pops up after the video stops playing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm getting the youtube crash also, on three computers. At least the workarounds are painless.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shogunner posted:

Nope. A big empty space where I suppose flash ads would be though.

AndyP posted:

Only ad I can see on there is on the video player.

But yeah, adblock has been randomly letting ads through for me as well. I've tried reinstalling the extension, but it doesn't help at all. You can block the ads by using the "easy create filter" feature, but that's a pain on sites with lots of ads.

And I've been getting the Youtube crash as well. It even crashed when I tried clicking a link in the "recommended" table that pops up after the video stops playing.

Odd. I get ads on there roughly 75% of the time. And yeah I am also getting youtube crashes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I've noticed a weird problem with Chrome and Google Image search.

So when you do an image search, and then click on a result, google takes you to that page, but puts a copy of the image over it, like so:

If I either click on the little 'X' for the picture, or click somewhere else on the website to just go to the page itself, I always get "kicked" to another one of my tabs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
For me, the YouTube crash will resolve itself after 30 seconds or a minute. Chrome will wake up and crash Flash instead of making you kill the whole browser.

Still loving annoying, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How is it that it is crashing all of Chrome, and not just one tab? I thought that wasn't supposed to be able to happen. It's never happened to me before...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's not crashing the entire browser, it's just programmed so that something central about user interaction/updates has to wait on the plug-in. If that freezes, it has to wait for preset time-out condition before the browser can forcefully close it. If you can pick out the particular Chrome.exe in Task Manager that is the Flash plugin process, you can force close it yourself earlier and the browser will resume sooner.

Unless and until Google tries to sandbox the plug-ins like it does tabs/processes, or it changes the timeout conditions, this is just something that can happen.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've noticed a weird problem with Chrome and Google Image search.

So when you do an image search, and then click on a result, google takes you to that page, but puts a copy of the image over it, like so:

If I either click on the little 'X' for the picture, or click somewhere else on the website to just go to the page itself, I always get "kicked" to another one of my tabs.

I'm not seeing this with a handful of test images on stable. Does it happen for every imag? Some sites play tricks with traffic coming from GIS.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks like they are fixing the youtube crash problem: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=1fe8d66c8677d694&hl=en

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm able to get around this by pausing the video before closing the tab.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
EDIT: Never mind.

AndyP fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 28, 2012

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Shadowgate posted:

Looks like they are fixing the youtube crash problem: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=1fe8d66c8677d694&hl=en

You can also opt-in to the HTML5 beta http://www.youtube.com/html5

Not all videos are HTML5 though, as the page explains.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For whatever reason over the past week or so, if I have a Youtube video running in a tab and I then try to close the tab, Chrome locks up and I have to force quit the program. Any idea what could be causing that? It seems that if the video isn't actually playing then the lockup doesn't occur.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of YouTube, it's been causing Flash to crash a lot for me lately, losing any of the videos I had caching at the time. I just wish they'd hurry up and make the switch totally to HTML5.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

For whatever reason over the past week or so, if I have a Youtube video running in a tab and I then try to close the tab, Chrome locks up and I have to force quit the program. Any idea what could be causing that? It seems that if the video isn't actually playing then the lockup doesn't occur.

Read this page of the thread. It's discussed.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Hey, has anyone had problems with text showing in Chrome? I've been looking for fixes, uninstalled all extensions, reinstalled Chrome, and nothing is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Hey, has anyone had problems with text showing in Chrome? I've been looking for fixes, uninstalled all extensions, reinstalled Chrome, and nothing is working.

Since that other goon was having problems with that website too, it might just be the website?