Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are you talking google search results? Sometimes when I click a link and then hit the back button, a "block all from thisdomain.tld" link comes up. But it doesn't seem to be every link so I don't know what sort of google magic they use to determine when the option is presented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

myron_cope posted:

Are you talking google search results? Sometimes when I click a link and then hit the back button, a "block all from thisdomain.tld" link comes up. But it doesn't seem to be every link so I don't know what sort of google magic they use to determine when the option is presented

Yeah I think they just changed their mind and incorporated it into google itself. So long as you come back from a linked page quick enough they'll pop up a link (that fades in from red) asking if you want to block that domain.

I'm pretty sure they use the 'how quick you came back from a link' metric in their ranking calculations too, so I guess they're giving you a way to be more definitive about your thoughts on the site

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I don't think so. It bugged me for a few days when it was introduced into the beta channel, but I don't notice it at all now.

Anyone else's fonts look a little weird and blurry on their extension notifications after the change to 18?

I think this has to do with the new Skia 2D rendering engine they're using.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just made the switch over to Chrome from Firefox yesterday. Not sure why I didn't sooner. Running the beta of Chrome right now.

I'm still missing some functionality from Firefox native/extensions that I can't seem to replicate in Chrome, if anyone had recommendations:

- Bookmark tags - tagging bookmarks is a whole lot easier than organizing everything. I used Xmarks on Firefox to suggest tags based on user tags, which was great. Not sure if Chrome can even tag bookmarks at this point. I'd rather not use Xmarks as I want to reduce the amount of extensions in Chrome - plus I'm using Chrome to Mobile to sync poo poo, which is awesome.

- Master password on startup - I locked my Firefox install down at work by asking for a password on startup.

- Tab Mix Plus - on firefox, this extension basically let you do things with tabs. Most importantly, this made new tabs load to the rightmost spot on the tab bar, which I can't live without.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is it possible to navigate the omnibox without the arrow keys? I'm used to using tab to move down the list in firefox. The down arrow key feels like it is a mile away.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gyshall posted:

- Tab Mix Plus - on firefox, this extension basically let you do things with tabs. Most importantly, this made new tabs load to the rightmost spot on the tab bar, which I can't live without.

I use this one for switching to your previous tab when you close the current one, it does the rightmost thing too:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ajnianifcggmdojhnmjichjmnjpplcha/details
Why this isn't a basic functionality option I have no idea

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

I use this one for switching to your previous tab when you close the current one, it does the rightmost thing too:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ajnianifcggmdojhnmjichjmnjpplcha/details

Some people like the current functionality. I remember installing an addon that made tabs open directly beside the current one way back when on firefox.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

unpronounceable posted:

Some people like the current functionality. I remember installing an addon that made tabs open directly beside the current one way back when on firefox.

The option should at least be there. Thanks for the extension, though - it is perfect.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I like having multiple windows open and would like to restore each one, is this possible?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kri kri posted:

I like having multiple windows open and would like to restore each one, is this possible?

When you quit Chrome use Wrench > Exit.

On next start it will restore the tabs in each window.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ If you click Exit on the wrench menu they'll all open next time. If you just click the X they don't though EDIT dammmitttt

unpronounceable posted:

It's the 'last used' functionality I use it for, which would be a nice option but it makes more sense as the default too. If I switch to a tab and close it, surely I should be back on the previous one, and not whatever random tab happens to be on the far right?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

But I can't always remember to hit the Exit!! I wish they had something like a session window, so you could make a shortcut and have all your work / fun tabs pop up in their own window.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

kri kri posted:

But I can't always remember to hit the Exit!! I wish they had something like a session window, so you could make a shortcut and have all your work / fun tabs pop up in their own window.

Im using session buddy for this. Sessions are saved automagicly. You can restore any previous. Works for multiple windows.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

kri kri posted:

You could try using ctrl+shift+q instead I suppose. Or the extension linked above.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Found a solution for the laggy flash issue with Chrome 17, turning hardware acceleration off seemed to fix it, though now my processor runs pretty hot whenever I watch Youtube videos. There's a reason I never updated flash once I found a relatively stable version. Thanks, Chrome! :rolleyes:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

kri kri posted:

I didn't think I could either, but it's pretty much worked out - if you ever accidentally hit the X and go 'wait, poo poo' you can always open a window and click the '34 tabs' or whatever in your recently closed list to get it all back, only works for the last window though. Maybe I'll give that session buddy thing a try

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Today I made the switch to Chrome on my iMac. I have been a firefox user since 2004 but in the last couple of months it decided that I was not allowed to update without losing all my bookmarks (another story). So I changed today and it seems a lot faster, but there are still a couple of niggles:

- Is there a way to disable favicons on the bookmarks bar?

- How come I can't middle click scroll? Can this be enabled anywhere? I've not seen a setting.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

Anjow posted:

- Is there a way to disable favicons on the bookmarks bar?

- How come I can't middle click scroll? Can this be enabled anywhere? I've not seen a setting.

- No, unfortunately not.

- Middle click scroll does not exist in the Mac version of Chrome, which is weird considering Firefox has it. You'll need to make do for now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

notMordecai posted:

- Middle click scroll does not exist in the Mac version of Chrome, which is weird considering Firefox has it. You'll need to make do for now.
I've been able to do it since I started using a Mac. :confused: I have a Logitech mouse and Logitech Control Center installed, which while buggy, lets you use middle click scroll.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

baka kaba posted:

The only feature I want out of this is switching to previous tab when closing the current one but the extension causes a weird problem where if I open a new tab, type something into the search bar and press enter, it switches back to the previous tab. It's caused by the "When a New Tab is Created" option being put on "Chrome standard" but that is what I want it on because otherwise it always switches to new tabs which I don't want. Are there any other extensions for switching to previous tab on close tab?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
My version of Chrome has updated to 18.0.1025.11 and the printing has changed - I have a web page that, when printed using the System Print dialogue, would print a sender and recipient address perfectly on a C5 envelope.

Now the addresses are reduced to approx 1/9th of the size, making them useless. This worked just fine yesterday. THANKS GOOGLE.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Biggus Dickus posted:

My version of Chrome has updated to 18.0.1025.11 and the printing has changed - I have a web page that, when printed using the System Print dialogue, would print a sender and recipient address perfectly on a C5 envelope.

Now the addresses are reduced to approx 1/9th of the size, making them useless. This worked just fine yesterday. THANKS GOOGLE.

Thinks like this are bound to happen when you use the beta channel

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly weird stuff seems to rarely happen in Beta, usually Dev gets all the glitches and they're caught before they filter down to the later releases. But anyway, have a look in chrome://flags and try enabling the Disable Print Preview one - I don't know if it will actually help but I think it just appeared in this release, so it's worth a try. If not, there's not some automatic 'resize to page' thing enabled is there? If the printout is shrinking it sounds like an output scaling issue

KoB
May 1, 2009
Decided to give chrome a real shot. I had an addon for FF that collapsed all the bookmarks on the toolbar to just the little icon and when I moused over them it would expand out with the name. Is there anything like that for chrome? I really like having tons of bookmarks on the toolbar without having to use a dropdown menu. I know I can remove the name of the bookmark to save space but that isnt really the same.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Honestly weird stuff seems to rarely happen in Beta, usually Dev gets all the glitches and they're caught before they filter down to the later releases. But anyway, have a look in chrome://flags and try enabling the Disable Print Preview one - I don't know if it will actually help but I think it just appeared in this release, so it's worth a try. If not, there's not some automatic 'resize to page' thing enabled is there? If the printout is shrinking it sounds like an output scaling issue

Yes but there is virtually no reason to run beta/dev if you can't handle poo poo like this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If Chrome had a proper Noscript equiv I'd ditch Firefox.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

skooma512 posted:

If Chrome had a proper Noscript equiv I'd ditch Firefox.

Yeah, you know, I tried something similar called ScriptNo, but the biggest problem I had with it was sometimes it would gently caress up Web sites, and even after I allowed the site, it would continue to mess with them. :iiam:

I think the new version of Chrome now supports true element blocking though? Someone posted that, anyways.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
New dev post regarding side tabs:

quote:

My hope is that ultimately we will add extension-controllable detachable surfaces or similar under the auspices of bug 51084. At that point it will be more feasible to implement a feature like this that has a small but devoted following as an extension.

Until that time, we don't have any plans to re-implement side tabs. There are a number of higher-impact features we're busy working with.

So you take away a feature, have absolutely no alternative, then tell everyone it's not important. Of course there was a small following, you had to not only enable it in flags but then right click a tab and select "Side Tabs". It was very difficult to get going, especially for the average user. My purposely outdated Chrome is breaking extensions, I guess I have no choice other than to update to the latest and try browsing with 20-30 open tabs listed horizontally. Has anyone found a way to manage them like that?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a way of replicating the ctrl+enter / cmd+enter functionality that basically every other browser has? i.e. I put somethingawful into the address bar, press cmd+enter and it puts in the https://www. and .com for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Anjow posted:

Is there a way of replicating the ctrl+enter / cmd+enter functionality that basically every other browser has? i.e. I put somethingawful into the address bar, press cmd+enter and it puts in the https://www. and .com for me.

It does that - except it has a habit of doing autocomplete instead (like if I type 'you' and do ctrl+return it goes to youtube anyway). The omnibox is the jankiest thing

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

baka kaba posted:

It does that - except it has a habit of doing autocomplete instead (like if I type 'you' and do ctrl+return it goes to youtube anyway). The omnibox is the jankiest thing

It doesn't for me, I type 'amazon', press cmd+enter and it opens a new tab with a google search for amazon in it. If I do it with ctrl+enter it does that but in the same tab.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

VerySolidSnake posted:

New dev post regarding side tabs:

So you take away a feature, have absolutely no alternative, then tell everyone it's not important. Of course there was a small following, you had to not only enable it in flags but then right click a tab and select "Side Tabs". It was very difficult to get going, especially for the average user. My purposely outdated Chrome is breaking extensions, I guess I have no choice other than to update to the latest and try browsing with 20-30 open tabs listed horizontally. Has anyone found a way to manage them like that?

I used to use side tabs in Firefox, but I like what I do now with Chrome even better after I got used to it.

Use multiple windows and drag tabs between them based upon projects/content/some sorta category.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

For some reason my home screen has banished the forums page.

an example image

I want it back up there and i've cleared my cache and every setting I could think of, but it wont put the site in the group. Is there some backend thing/flag I can clear to re-add it?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

VerySolidSnake posted:

Has anyone found a way to manage them like that?

Yeah, I just open more windows when my tabs get too small to show the favicons. :sigh:

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Skimmed the thread but couldn't find this answered:

How do I rename these

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anyone else having problems with Google Reader in beta 18? The site seems to load fine, but All Items doesn't work and trying to view any article doesn't work. There's simply no response to me clicking on any of that stuff, even though the settings button and the top bar still work. I've turned adblock off on that page, but that's all I've found to try so far and it didn't help at all.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, I just open more windows when my tabs get too small to show the favicons. :sigh:

Not sure it's what you guys are looking for but an extension like Too Many Tabs or Tab Menu might help.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 13, 2012

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Found a solution for the laggy flash issue with Chrome 17, turning hardware acceleration off seemed to fix it, though now my processor runs pretty hot whenever I watch Youtube videos. There's a reason I never updated flash once I found a relatively stable version. Thanks, Chrome! :rolleyes:

I've found Chrome 17 to be super laggy unless I switch the graphics card to discrete mode. It doesn't matter if it's Flash or not. But then my battery life drops through the floor. Youtube and such are super laggy to the point of it looking like it's skipping 1/4 of the frames at a time.

Also, I'm on 10.7.3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

10.7.3 here as well. When I have hardware acceleration off, the video plays fine in the browser window (apart from cooking my processor) but becomes a twitchy mess when fullscreened and vice versa with hardware acceleration on; fullscreen is fine but windowed it slows the whole machine down. Seems like roughly one in five versions of flash the drat thing is actually usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had a handy addon for firefox that showed me, for any given site I was viewing, the IP address, the datacentre it was in and the AS number.

Does anyone know if a similar thing exists for chrome? I am mainly interested in the AS number - I have seen addons for IP address but I can't be bothered looking up the AS myself for everything.