Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Anjow posted:

I had a handy addon for firefox that showed me, for any given site I was viewing, the IP address, the datacentre it was in and the AS number.

Does anyone know if a similar thing exists for chrome? I am mainly interested in the AS number - I have seen addons for IP address but I can't be bothered looking up the AS myself for everything.

Don't know if there's something better but this seems to do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

AngryGuy posted:

Don't know if there's something better but this seems to do what you want.

Looks pretty decent, thanks. It would be even better if it displayed it automatically and was a bit more customisable as to what it shows.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Finally.

HTTPS everywhere is now available for Chrome. I know KBSSL Enforcer was available, but that was a hack and didn't prevent sidejacking attacks and the like.

Now with the new resource api, things are really starting to get rolling.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Unfortunately for those of you waiting on NoScript, there is another issue preventing good content blocking support. Basically, extensions have the ability to modify page contents, but an extension can't stop a page from loading in order for the extension to check user settings. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to use a site whitelist or blacklist for embedded scripts.

A solution hasn't been implemented because any solution would slow down the browser. The current proposal is to allow extensions to pause page loading and wait a fixed time for the extension to load settings. That way, you can still have extensions like NoScript without making slowdowns more prevalent and harder to diagnose. Unfortunately, that was proposed a month ago, and no work has been done on the issue, so it will be a while before true flexible content blocking happens.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surely Google could just have seeded the existing dictionary a little better for offline mode:

quote:

Show spelling suggestions for misspelled words from the online spellchecker provided by Google (only after users opt into sending text to the service) (r120959).

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2012/02/dev-channel-update_10.html

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is it just me, or did beta 18 break the SA webkit fix so that now text lines up incorrectly with images, smilies, etc. again?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Amppelix posted:

Is it just me, or did beta 18 break the SA webkit fix so that now text lines up incorrectly with images, smilies, etc. again?

Yeah, I've been on Dev 18 for a while and it's been broken.

E: I guess Dev switched to 19, but still seeing the problem. But thank Christ I can finally ask Google for spelling suggestions.

invid
Dec 19, 2002
Looking for a Chrome equivalent of Save Images add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-images/). I save random images from the Web, and am missing this feature on Chrome. Any alternatives?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I think that some people had mentioned wanting this functionality in the last thread:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nmkbaaijgpppbokgnhhoakihofedkgcc

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
So, chrome for Android supports syncing tabs between it and your desktop browser. I have two PCs running chrome - I must've missed the boat on this one but how do I sync tabs between them?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Jensen posted:

So, chrome for Android supports syncing tabs between it and your desktop browser. I have two PCs running chrome - I must've missed the boat on this one but how do I sync tabs between them?

In my experience, both PCs have to be on and running Chrome with tabs to sync in the first place. It will display each PC by it's windows computer name. You can't sync tabs just between the two computers. (yet?)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Amppelix posted:

My bad; my script had a typo, and now Chrome is calling me out on my poo poo. Use this until Anal adds it back in to the general extension.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I am on the 18 beta, and sometimes pages seem to arbitrarily just go black. The page is still there, I can click links, select text, youtube videos will play and I will hear sound, but see nothing. Anyone else having this issue? It seems utterly arbitrary which pages are affected.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

In my experience, both PCs have to be on and running Chrome with tabs to sync in the first place. It will display each PC by it's windows computer name. You can't sync tabs just between the two computers. (yet?)

Where is the interface for it? Do I have to turn on the setting in chrome://flags?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jensen posted:

Where is the interface for it? Do I have to turn on the setting in chrome://flags?

chrome://flags/
Enable syncing open tabs

Keep in mind it doesn't just sync the tab automatically, you need to go to chrome://sessions/ to see your other computers.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 15, 2012

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

kri kri posted:

chrome://flags/
Enable syncing open tabs

Keep in mind it doesn't just sync the tab automatically, you need to go to chrome://sessions/ to see your other computers.

I find it interesting that you don't have to turn this flag on for the syncing to work in the Chrome for Android browser.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any way to downgrade the flash player in Chrome (Mac) to what it was before Chrome 17? 10-point-something? Flash 11 is a complete piece of poo poo. Videos become slideshows with hardware acceleration on, and my CPU fries with it off. Html5 is just a stuttering mess as well, so that's out.

Edit: And two seconds later Chrome updates flash to 11.1.102.62, and the problem seems solved.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've been using Chrome for web development because the webkit inspector is awesome. However, recently pages have been crashing to the Aw Snap screen every time I use the 'New Style Rule' button to modify CSS styles. I have updated to 17.0.963.56 m but this happens consistently. Googling has yielded nothing.

Does anyone know why this happens? It was the main reason I don't use Firebug but now I don't have a choice.

e: Doesn't happen in Canary

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 16, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Is anyone getting the IE click sound when closing tabs in Chrome 18?

Eh nevermind, a reboot took care of it.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 17, 2012

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
What the frick yo. I can't even load the Chrome Store and I don't know why. It loads for a little bit and then goes all white screen on me. It only happened recently and I've got ABP and some other extensions that don't seem to effect anything.

I've been told to disable/enable ABP but it's not working. Javascript is apparently enabled and reloading the page a million time doesn't help. Gurrr.

I'm running Version 17.0.963.56 m on Windows 7 and please help. Thanks.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Does anybody else sometimes get 'flashes' of white squares, especially on sites that have a lot of youtube/other flash content? I'm using dev channel on OS X.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is there a gesture extension for Chrome that doesn't gather tracking information? I miss the built-in gestures from Opera, but I don't want to install some addon that is going to sell my browser history...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Third Man posted:

Is there a gesture extension for Chrome that doesn't gather tracking information? I miss the built-in gestures from Opera, but I don't want to install some addon that is going to sell my browser history...

All extensions come up with a warning about stuff it can access, if that's what you mean. I'm not really sure what good those warnings do anymore, every single extension can access a lot of stuff so constant warnings either make people paranoid or careless

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
well, I originally had smooth gestures, but then noticed that they actually collect browsing data, but have a setting you can enable to turn it off...that resets every 72 hours. I removed that piece of poo poo immediately, so I'm just looking for something to replace it with really.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does anyone else have problems with Chrome's inline translation? It stopped working several months ago, any time I try to translate a page it fails out with a server error.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just tried it on this:
http://tegenlicht.vpro.nl/afleveringen/2011-2012/Goldman-Sachs-en-de-vernietiging-van-Griekenland.html
And it worked fine on beta - some people recommend clearing your browsing history and cache if it keeps failing. Apparently it uses Flash too, and if you don't have it installed or have some other problem you get a server failure message. Some NoScript-type extensions can cause problems too apparently.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there a Chrome extension that duplicates the functionality of Permit Cookies, i.e. defaults the browser to denying cookies, with an icon to choose to allow for session or permanently?

^^ Speaking of NoScript, is there a decent replacement that at least implements JS whitelisting? NotScripts seems to be abandoned. (e: ScriptNo seems promising)

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 17, 2012

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Thinking about jumping ship to Chrome from Firefox when I get my new laptop tomorrow, but am wondering one thing: How safe, or good at blocking malware with plugins/apps, is it?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Lazyhound posted:

Is there a Chrome extension that duplicates the functionality of Permit Cookies, i.e. defaults the browser to denying cookies, with an icon to choose to allow for session or permanently?

^^ Speaking of NoScript, is there a decent replacement that at least implements JS whitelisting? NotScripts seems to be abandoned.
Chrome has the functionality built in. Go into preferences > under the hood > content settings > cookies.

Set cookies to be blocked. Now, when you visit a site, a little cookie icon appears in the address bar, clicking it will give you quick access to allow or continue to block. Unfortunately, in order to do session-only cookie allowances, you have to add that entry explicitly. It's not really that hard, but it's an extra step (which you can get to through that same cookie menu).

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Behonkiss posted:

Thinking about jumping ship to Chrome from Firefox when I get my new laptop tomorrow, but am wondering one thing: How safe, or good at blocking malware with plugins/apps, is it?

Chrome is one of, if not the safest browser(s) available.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, is it me, or did the beta channel just screw up massively? Gifs aren't working, links don't color in when mouseovered, random parts of the page are missing, weird, or something, I can't even see what I'm typing in the reply field right now unless I somehow force it to refresh, like changing tabs (or just clicking with the mouse it seems)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Beta's up to date and fine for me, not that that's much help

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Third Man posted:

well, I originally had smooth gestures, but then noticed that they actually collect browsing data, but have a setting you can enable to turn it off...that resets every 72 hours. I removed that piece of poo poo immediately, so I'm just looking for something to replace it with really.
Goddamn it, I've been using Smooth Gestures for a long time and never remember seeing that in the options before.

Amppelix posted:

Ok, is it me, or did the beta channel just screw up massively? Gifs aren't working, links don't color in when mouseovered, random parts of the page are missing, weird, or something, I can't even see what I'm typing in the reply field right now unless I somehow force it to refresh, like changing tabs (or just clicking with the mouse it seems)
I'm on the beta channel (18.0.1025.33) and I'm not having these issues.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress, it was a flag. Of course it was a flag (GPU compositing on all pages)! Why didn't I think of this. Although it's weird that it just suddenly broke when it was doing just fine until now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They probably made a recent tweak that messed it up - for what it's worth it seemed fine when I enabled the lot recently, then I hit one site where scrolling was messed up and I had to turn it off. Seems to work for everything else though (including CSS and SVG) so hey, more things on = good!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Did they break sorting in the open window?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

One core thing that keeps me from Chrome is that the type-ahead search isn't fully native, and relies on an extension. It just didn't work as well as FF's when I last tried it about half a year back, and I read a bug/wishlist entry where the Chrome devs gave a stupid reasoning about leaving it out, citing indirectly that such a feature would contribute to bloat. Any updates to this?

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies

Pilsner posted:

One core thing that keeps me from Chrome is that the type-ahead search isn't fully native, and relies on an extension. It just didn't work as well as FF's when I last tried it about half a year back, and I read a bug/wishlist entry where the Chrome devs gave a stupid reasoning about leaving it out, citing indirectly that such a feature would contribute to bloat. Any updates to this?

Nope. I watch that feature like a hawk. It's the biggest blemish in my Chrome experience and I suspect it will be for the foreseeable future.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mmm, new feature?

quote:

Other users are also experiencing difficulties connecting to this site, so you may have to wait a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I think it's quite old.