Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Does anyone know why Chrome will randomly snap the page to a certain position on some sites? I mostly see it on my Twitter timeline and in 4chan threads, I'll be scrolling and suddenly it'll snap back up to a post I had clicked on (I think). It makes Chrome almost unusable sometimes, like when it snaps every time I load a new timeline page on Twitter. Refreshing seems to clear it until it happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is there some way to make Chrome less likely to put multiple tabs in the same process? I just opened 24 tabs of one site, all of which were put in the same process and therefore ran like poo poo.

edit: and then all crashed because chrome x64 can't handle 1.8GB of memory usage, I guess

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 6, 2016

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Whizbang posted:

You don't need 24 tabs of one site.
yes I do, for a short time
Chrome trying to put them all in one process is hindering this

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Unfortunately process-per-tab does not actually give one process per tab, but instead one process per "group of script-connected tabs". Had the same problem as the default process-per-site-instance when I tested it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

just spent half an hour fighting a windows 10 upgrade issue, so PRO TIP: if you upgrade to windows 10 and chrome suddenly starts displaying fonts in super bold or something, make sure you don't have garbage fonts using that name. I had to delete every instance of Helvetica Neue because Chrome thought Helvetica Neue Bold was the only weight available and refused to use normal variants.

(Firefox worked fine)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is anyone seeing low quality image scaling on current Chrome? Large images being scaled down have much worse quality than Firefox for me.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is it just me or is the non-muted autoplay blocking feature worthless? It routinely blocks YouTube, a site on which I constantly listen to things, but is allowing autoplay on random news sites, on which I never want to hear anything.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

chrome 65 changed the color of tabs from #D9D9D9 to #CFCFCF
I recognize that this is a tiny change but I really dislike the new color; is there any way to change it myself?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

The new design is virtually indistinguishable from the old one, just with rounded edges on things and a moved profile button. I can't comprehend what merits a strong opinion about the change one way or another.
I don't know about other platforms, but on Win10 it now uses your main theme color to style the tab bar. This means my tabs look like this:

which is loving ugly.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=896897&desc=2#c23
Google has proposed a change to Chrome's webRequest API that will permanently break uBlock Origin and similar adblockers, only permitting Adblock Plus-style adblockers with a limit of 30,000 filters. (My uBO install currently has >140,000 filters)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I mean, if anyone has the resources to maintain a patch set for that it's going to be Microsoft

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The good news is Google employees saw it and fixed it
They don't know why it was rejected

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

If you're using the Nano Defender extension (anti-anti-adblock), it's been sold to new developers and gorhill (uBlock dev) says it now qualifies as malware after today's update: https://github.com/NanoAdblocker/NanoCore/issues/362#issuecomment-709428210

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Try changing the Site Settings for the page* to Allow sound instead of "Automatic"

* hit the lock next to the URL to get a button to it, or Settings > Privacy and Security > Site Settings > go to the right site

no guarantee that will work but IIRC chrome's automatic autoplay block/allow stuff is basically incomprehensible and it might be affecting that

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, why the gently caress does Photoshop still not support the WEBP format, anyway? (Since I'm wanting to reuse the stuff.)
https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Just block the new Twitter font with these ublock filters: https://gist.github.com/foone/af8220cb1a3ef6edd3bd1e9f0a843c86
The font list is almost identical so it'll automatically use whatever it was using before.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

So what's the best near-Chrome browser? ungoogled-chromium?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The only paywall bypasser I know of is https://gitlab.com/magnolia1234/bypass-paywalls-chrome-clean/-/blob/master/README.md

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

If you mute Chrome (via the volume mixer) or the Gmail tab (via Chrome itself) does that sound still play? Easy way to check if it's Gmail making that noise and not like a desktop-notification-related sound or something

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Anyone know how to get emoji to display in color in Chrome on Windows? They used to, but now they're in black and white. Firefox doesn't have this issue.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

grah posted:

Using firefox, keeping ublock up to date and following

has been working for me so far. Had to purge ublock caches after setting it but it's been good since.
official advice is "do not use random custom filters" because youtube is updating their detection multiple times per day and the custom filters you posted are 3 months old

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo it's so ugly

The specific thing I disabled was "Chrome Refresh 2023". Guess I need to actually find a new Chromium-like browser to use for non-Firefox things soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Looks like Google screwed something up with Version 124.0.6367.61 (Official Build) (64-bit), because icons on tabs are now aligned to the top of the tab:

According to Reddit, it's because they're removing the old UI, and will be forcing everyone to use the new UI with the scrolling menus that EVERYONE hates.
They've inexplicably hotfixed this in under a week, 124.0.6367.79
Guess I don't need to figure out how to run two separate Firefox windows just yet